New
Find
Notify
Tools

This one didn't run away
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finally got a deer yesterday evening. Was in a makeshift tree stand watching some trails on the upper side of the hill when i heard some deer snorts from behind. I finally got turned to look that way and they scattered up the hill to the left. There were four, and i'd momentarily scope one only to have it move. The last one made it up the rise and stopped and it was a perfect 80 yard broadside, except it was almost dark, some branches in between and no rest for the gun. I shot but because of the kick, i can never keep my eyes on the animal. All i knew was it wasn't there anymore. Got out my dismal little pen light and went to look for blood, not really expecting to find any. But turned out it had dropped in it's tracks and fell in the ditch.

The .243, 100 gr bullet went through the top of its back and must have got the spinal cord. But the shot was closer to the front of the hindquarters than it was behind the forequarters. I can't remember details of the shot i may have just aimed at big body mass and pulled the trigger.

It was a doe, probably a yearling, but my mom said it looked pretty good size.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Congrats.

Practice at the rifle range to "see" the cross hairs on
the target when the gun goes off.Do it all the time and
you will begin to be able to "call the shot".When it
becomes second nature you will start to see alot of
impacts on game.Remember to aim small miss small...
It works.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hooray for Plinker. You can tell macho husband to knock off the "missy" shit now since everyone knows does eat better than bucks. (if he persists in calling you "missy", start calling him "pilgrim".
I took the shoulders and hams from a doe, ground them up with some bacon ends and seasoned the results with Legg's sausage seasoning. Mmmmm good.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Plinker,

You GO Girl!!!!

Congrats!!!

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... I can't remember details of the shot i may have just aimed at big body mass and pulled the trigger....

Hey Plinker, Congratulations.

As you grow as a Hunter, knowing exactly where the crosshairs were aimed on the Deer when the rifle fired will become second nature.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, for the encouragement and advice. I've really learned a lot on here, and not to worry, i'm going to keep practicing. The impact isn't that bad with the pachmyre pad, the problem is getting used to the barrel raising. (I'm used to shooting airguns.) But, my brother in law said a muzzlebrake would help with that.

Beeman, we cut up the deer today. Gave my MIL the hamburger and kept some bigger ham pieces for jerky. Your sausage recipe sounds like it would be good and easy.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote