New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico cow elk hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know of any cow elk hunts available in New Mexico in Jan.?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Posts: 2599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This outfitter has cow elk hunts throughout Janaury for $2K on a 16,000 acre private ranch:

http://www.folsomoutfitters.com/elk-hunting.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Topgun!

Wow, I remember when a cow elk hunt in NM was under $1,000. Is this now the typical price?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Kiowa Outfitters and Tri-Srate Outfitters have Cow hunts on giant tracts of private property.

Both hunt out of Raton NM

I've used both

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted,

Thanks for the info! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jicarilla Apache reservation probably still offers a January cow hunt.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
surefire7
I have taken cow elk in Texas for $600 and have a hunt booked again in late Feb for $900.
An outfitter friend has a knack for locating bargains. This was the $600 cow: Fed the family for 2 years.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. More great suggestions! Wow, I didn't know there was a Feb. season as well. Hmmmmmm...

posted Hide Post
As Stonecreek has said, they'er located in Dulce and do a very good job. "Been there Done that" Vamack

Posts: 15 | Location: Va. | Registered: 15 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Jicarilla Apache reservation probably still offers a January cow hunt.

You have to draw for these though right?

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
been ten years but it was preety much just applying, they use it to control the different areas. Nothing fancy, and seemed to be honest and straightforward, ask any questions and get an honest answer. vamack

Posts: 15 | Location: Va. | Registered: 15 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Colorado cow elk hunt that's pretty close to NM for $2500 for rifle hunt, includes lodging, breakfast and lunch, Supper is on you in town. Non res. license included. but already sold out for 2018..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Does that Colorado Cow hunt include all charges for all licenses and fees?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4239 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It encludes everything for a 1x1 guided hunt, sometimes 2x1 under certain conditions. all meals except supper in the evening in town, an open bar within reason..As the lodge is in town and the ranch boundry is the city limits more or less...It does include a non resident license..We are probably booked for this year, but open for next year and may have some cancelled hunts this year, you never know.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a cow elk hunt I just posted in the outfitter section. Montana is most likely extending most of its cow only seasons to Feb 15 starting in 2018.

Posts: 253 | Location: Corvallis,montana | Registered: 10 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again everyone for the above comments and info.

We may have two states now, or in the future, offering Feb. cow elk hunts. Super! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As ridiculous as it sounds, Elk are considered ‘feral’ by the state and therefore ‘landowner owned’ just like cattle ! No season
You can kill them 24/7/365 . Truly a shame !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see why that's a shame, Texas ranchers can manage deer and elk better than any govt. agency..I don't care for high fenced hunts unless they have a lot of land fenced..but far west Texas in the Davis Mountains around Ft. Davis and the mountains South of Marathon and East of Alpine are huge, not fenced, and have some of the biggest bulls Ive ever seen. I know a number of those rancher, They are well managed and only the largest of bulls are taken each year and not very many...The cost is extreme for those 400 plus bull that are well cared for. The Mule deer hunting in the trans Pecos to El Paso is some of the best in the world today because the ranchers manage those big ranches. Texas Fish and Game is support unit for them and there to recommend and help and they do a bang good job..

I shot 42 bucks a year off one of my ranches, year after year with good management, it was 75,000 acres leased for cattle, another I shot 15 bucks a year with good management. They figure one buck for 2000 acres in that area..None of these are fenced other than a 4 or 5 strand barbed wire that a deer can jump or scoot under.

Elk in West texas in the Big Bend Park area is a true success story that started when Cap Yates turned 50 head loose on his Marathon ranch in the early 1950s as I recall, they bred and scattered ever since and only a barb wire fence to hold them and every rancher welcomed those elk on the respective ranches..

I think your response probably applies to East Texas more or less where high fences are many and ranches are small..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120