New
Find
Notify
Tools

My wifes hound Bear hunt.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On Thursday we were out with the dogs and chased about a 150 pounder up a tree after about 3 hrs of running. It was 3/4th of the mile off the road through some very nasty swamp. We decided to pass on that one to small and to hard to get out. I had a meeting at noon and stopped hunting for that day.

We couldn't hunt Friday as My wife and I had to take care of my 97 year old mother for the day.

We went out hunting with the hounds again today dropped them about 645am they colded trailed for about 45 min.

The hounds came out to the road and made a lost.

As we were regrouping my wife looks up the road and says theres a bear. I looked up just in time to see it go into the brush.

I called my buddy with the dogs up there and we dumped the dogs on the bears trail off they went. About a half an hr latter it sounded like the dogs had it caught on the ground.

We just headed into the dogs and very thing went quite. We stopped and one of the dogs came up to us and its ear was tore up.

The other dogs came out to the road and a couple of them were beat up needing stiches.

We then got some fresh dogs hauled them into the last area we heard them and cut them lose.

In about 5 min we could tell they were jumped and the chase was back on. We drove to where we thought the we be closest to the chase and started walking to the dogs as they were circleing.

As the wife and I neared the racket we thought they were caught on the ground. Very thick brush visability 20 to 50 feet. After about a half a mile we were with in 50 yards and the dogs just roaring. I telling the wife we are going to have to sneak into it and kill it on th ground.

We then moved in closer and could see the bear up in a ash tree about 25 feet off the ground. I then called every on the radio and told them that it was treed and needed help to catch up the dogs. So we could shoot the bear.

About 10 min later some of the others showed up and we waited tell the rest of the crew arrived. After every body was there we tied the dogs back and I told my wife to shoot it.

Bang the bear dropped about 4 feet into the crotch of the tree butt on one side head and shoulders on the other and hung there about 20 feet up.

I then cut a sapling down and we tried to push the bear out but it was really jamed in there. After trying that for abit.

We had to get a climbing tree stand into it to get up the tree and push and pull the bear out

Then we were able to get a 4 wheeler in and load the bear on that and take it the half a mile out.

Feild dressed the bear weighed in at 214lbs not real big but then we were looking for a nice eater instead of a big trophy.

If some one could post pictures I'll email some to them for posting.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pics e mailed to you thks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took the liberty to edit p dog shooter’s post and insert the photos.

quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
On Thursday we were out with the dogs and chased about a 150 pounder up a tree after about 3 hrs of running. It was 3/4th of the mile off the road through some very nasty swamp. We decided to pass on that one to small and to hard to get out. I had a meeting at noon and stopped hunting for that day.

We couldn't hunt Friday as My wife and I had to take care of my 97 year old mother for the day.

We went out hunting with the hounds again today dropped them about 645am they colded trailed for about 45 min.

The hounds came out to the road and made a lost.

As we were regrouping my wife looks up the road and says theres a bear. I looked up just in time to see it go into the brush.

I called my buddy with the dogs up there and we dumped the dogs on the bears trail off they went. About a half an hr latter it sounded like the dogs had it caught on the ground.

We just headed into the dogs and very thing went quite. We stopped and one of the dogs came up to us and its ear was tore up.

The other dogs came out to the road and a couple of them were beat up needing stiches.

We then got some fresh dogs hauled them into the last area we heard them and cut them lose.

In about 5 min we could tell they were jumped and the chase was back on. We drove to where we thought the we be closest to the chase and started walking to the dogs as they were circleing.

As the wife and I neared the racket we thought they were caught on the ground. Very thick brush visability 20 to 50 feet. After about a half a mile we were with in 50 yards and the dogs just roaring. I telling the wife we are going to have to sneak into it and kill it on th ground.

We then moved in closer and could see the bear up in a ash tree about 25 feet off the ground. I then called every on the radio and told them that it was treed and needed help to catch up the dogs. So we could shoot the bear.

About 10 min later some of the others showed up and we waited tell the rest of the crew arrived. After every body was there we tied the dogs back and I told my wife to shoot it.

Bang the bear dropped about 4 feet into the crotch of the tree butt on one side head and shoulders on the other and hung there about 20 feet up.

I then cut a sapling down and we tried to push the bear out but it was really jamed in there. After trying that for abit.

We had to get a climbing tree stand into it to get up the tree and push and pull the bear out

Then we were able to get a 4 wheeler in and load the bear on that and take it the half a mile out.

Feild dressed the bear weighed in at 214lbs not real big but then we were looking for a nice eater instead of a big trophy.

Great story and pix.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done.....thanks for the report and pics.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Great story - exciting hunt!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya thanks for posting them great job

one of us
posted Hide Post
Her frist bear got hung in a tree also we are going to call her the hangman.

My hound buddy says he will have to get one with no legs the next time so she can't get them hung up

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh the most importsnt thing sporter 98 8x57 mil barrel B@C stock glass bedded, timmy trigger. burris 3x9 at 3 power 185gr Rem corlok at 2500fps.

The photos were taken with my Garmin Montanta gps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your better half.Hound hunting is no walk in the park!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Oh the most importsnt thing sporter 98 8x57 mil barrel B@C stock glass bedded, timmy trigger. burris 3x9 at 3 power 185gr Rem corlok at 2500fps.

The photos were taken with my Garmin Montanta gps.

Ain't it amazin' what a bullet of sufficient diameter and weight piddling along at 2400 to 2600 fps will do. tu2

GWB

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that for a large share of hunting a good bullet traveling between 2400fps and 2800fps will kill all kinds of games.

With out being hard on the shooter or the rifle.

One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the story and photos.

Tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hangman...... I like that!

Posts: 12 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your wife for a great bear and a great story!

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice bear! Good job!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Good looking bear, great story and pics. congratulations to your spouse. tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Momma did good!!!

Congrats!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
p dog,

Please pass on congrats to your wife. I am blessed with a similar adventurous wife and am very thankful.

I had a similar situation in B.C. where I had a large spring Blackie hung up dead on a branch about 20 feet up. Apparently it was nothing new to my guide and he used his 450 lever action to throw one perfectly high into the shoulder flipping it back off the limb. What a perfect limb trimmer for anything underneath the bear.

Kindest regards, Fred

Posts: 236 | Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff, I hope all the dogs heal up. Keep running them got to love the dog hunts.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:
Great stuff, I hope all the dogs heal up. Keep running them got to love the dog hunts.

Talked with my buddy he said the hounds are doing fine,

We were asked to shoot several bears over bait. As they were causeing problems for the land owners.

But after my wifes frist hound hunt she would not do the bait thing she was hooked on running the dogs.