New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a GPS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a GPS that will show me every twist and turn that I've made walking from my truck to my deer stand or deer that I've killed and back to the truck.

My friend and I do some of our deer hunting on 50,000 acres of public land that's all hardwood bottom/swamp with a few low ridges full of palmettos.

We can use an ATV to go off the marked ATV trails to recover game but without a GPS that shows us the route that we took it's rather difficult after dark (we normally hunt in the evenings).
My friend has one that shows the direction and distance but not the exact route that we went in on or came out on. This past season it took us 2 hours to recover a deer that was half a mile from the truck because of all the thickets that we had to try to go around to get there and back, this was all after dark.

I did a quick search but, didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks.

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of good ones out there. I use a garmin map 64. You have to enable the track feature and leave it on while you are moving...it will show your exact track.

Additionally the garmin will accept the onX map chips.

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Garmin Montana that works really well

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen, I will give these a look.

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the Garmin Montana or Map 64 are too expensive for you try a Garmin Etrex 20. Smaller screen but inexpensive

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will take a look at that one also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
spit in your hand, and slap it with two fingers, it will tell you where you are and which way to walk!! inexpensive, take a lunch and lots of water!! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Late to the party, but I have been using a Garmin Oregon for many years, been great.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I am driving to a hunting spot I turn on the handheld gps and enable the track for the last couple of miles before parking. Later on, when returning to the truck, I just look for that stretch of track on the screen and go to it by compass. It's easier than keeping your eye on the gps, and can be a shorter route than backtracking. Get a garmin, whatever you do.

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote