Find
Notify
Tools

Just for the Turkey hunters
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted
I shot a few gobbers,the biggest would weigh about 10 pounds.How big do they get in the U.S??

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1881 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fifteen pounds is big, twenty is huge for wild birds. Your ten pounders will be much better to eat though. I'm leaving this afternoon. hOpe our hunt is even half as sucessful as yours.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had three gobblers strutting in my backyard this morning. Nice way to start the day.

I've filled 8/9 tags so far this spring and planning on hunting this weekend. Hope to get my last bird as I am leaving for Canada next week.

Our turkeys here can get up to 25lbs, but they probably average around 18-20lb. I don't mess around with weighing them.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, those sound like jakes or smaller. They run about 23-27# here for a mature bird. A few bigger. The one below is on the light end of that range - 24# as I recall. Shot with a Scott 10 bore and blackpowder

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I killed a 22lb bird a couple of weeks ago and I also have a bunch strutting in the yard. NFW I would shoot one of them though!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Don In Colorado
posted Hide Post
In Michigan a BIG turkey would typically reach into the low 20 pound range. Most turkey hunters in Michigan (and perhaps elsewhere?) seem to be more interested in beard and spur length, which is the basis for the "record book" versus weight. Whenever a discussion as to the "size" of the turkey comes up it is always these items that are mentioned first rather than weight.

Best of all he loved the Fall....

E. Hemingway

Posts: 198 | Location: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Good on ya James.
For everyone else, We saw tons of turkeys running out in the paddocks last year when James and I were out goat culling there in New Zealand.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ours in Wisconsin average a bit bigger than some, I'm told. The full-grown toms I've shot here have all been around 20 pounds. A really big one here will be 25+. The one I got last week was 19. Hens will go about 10 (we can shoot them in the fall season.)

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Rio Grande variety found in most of Texas is probably a bit smaller than the Eastern. A few might go bigger than 15 pounds, 20 pounds would be hugh, and 12 pounds typical.

Remember, these are birds that can and MUST fly to survive, so even though they look big, they're not all that heavy.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot the biggest turkey I have ever killed last weekend here in TX. We weighed one my wife killed 2 years and it was 25.5lbs. This bird was quite a bit bigger.
I wish I would have weighed him, but I would estimate 27lbs at least. He had a head nearly as big as mine. EekerBig Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any big over 20 is very nice I wack one this morning at 18. I couple of buddy and myself shot some in SD. a couple of years back the smallest was 20 the biggest was 28 and that was big bird.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Top Predator, what kind of turkeys are those? You must have a liberal bag limit!!

Brent, I like that old shotgun...that's cool!!!

I would say most of our turkeys range around 17-18 lbs or so..We had a great turkey season. My son and I each shot two gobblers and one had 1 1/2" spurs...big old tom. I love hunting turkeys and we also hunt for sheds, trap hogs etc. I got a pretty good scare from a rattler this year also!!!! We've killed 3 this year..one over 5'.

A cactus blooming in S. Texas

A homemade wing with a mesquite handle

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daughter shot a 14 1/2 lb jake saturday. About the smallest jakes I hear about around here (Ohio) is 12 lb. Mature gobblers mostly go around low to mid 20's. A friend shot an 18 pounder Tuesday with a double beard and 7/8 inch spurs. The double beard is very rare around here.

Posts: 2393 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
How big they are depends on:

1. Age
2. Subspecies
3. Quality of forage

Birds in the 19 and 20 pound range 2yrs years and older are pretty common in Alabama. In South Carolina I have yet to kill one that weighs more than 19lbs. 2yr and older birds in this area average between 15 and 17lbs. This is due to forage and I believe there is some Osceola hybridization going on here. Osceolas are the smallest body weight subspecies. Jakes (short spurs 1/4" and beards usually under 5") probably average about 12lbs here.

My guess is an 18 pounder would be a whopper in New Zealand.

Cooking tip. Skin the legs and immerse them in a chicken boullion broth in a crock pot set on low over night. The next morning you can take the legs out of the broth pull the meat off the bones and pull all the tendons out. Chop up the meat and use it in whatever recipe you desire thumb

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think any tom thats at least 3 years will be over 20 pounds here.

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
I don't know what sort of turkey they are,we do get a few white ones and the odd brown one. We have no bag limits or seasons turkey are seen as pests on some farms and to be shot on sight. The farmer asked us to shot the gobbers and leave the hens and young birds so he can fatten them up

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1881 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going to NZ the first of June for Tahr etc and would like to get a turkey from down under. It is my understanding they are transplanted Meriams.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
My best this season was a Rio at about 27 lbs, and the best spurs I have taken thus far.

10" beard and the bird was covered in scabs and scars from fighting. Great hunt and a good bird.
This is the first year I have taken my limit of three mature goblers.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The four birds killed on my farm in Tennessee weighed 21, 23,24, and 30 lbs... The 30 lb'er was the biggest body bird we've ever killed, the previous record for the farm was 27 lbs.

Posts: 165 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot my first Rio Grande bird two weeks ago-a jake with 5" beard (plus 4 short tufts of 5-8 hairs each), 3/4" spurs, and it weighed 15 lbs.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"