New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 336RC 30/30 and hunting
 Login/Join

<marcus>
posted
Not to belabour the point. After having gone through all sorts of phases with rifles,custom, etc., I am going back to where I started 25 + years ago. I have picked up a marlin 336 RC in 30/30 for deer hunting this year. A couple of questions though:
- my eyes are getting older and iron sights just don't do me or an animal justice. What power scope 2.5 or 4 to use and what base and rings to keep everything low ?
- I am going to handload for this particular rifle. For whitetails in the 150 - 250 lb category ( I live in Alberta, Canada), do I use 150 or 170 grain bullets? any pet loads using speers?
- The buttstock on this rifle has had it. It is a stright grip stock. Can it be repalced with the pistol grip version?

Thanks is advance for your help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try aperture sights instead of open sights. If they don't work, try a Leupold Compact 2.5x in Weaver rings and bases. This was great on my 30-06 inside 175m, so it should be perfect for a 30-30. You also might consider a Leupold Scout scope in an Ashley drop-on Marlin mount. Then you could easily have a peep sight for foul weather and a scope.

I have no answers for your other questions but would tend toward 170 grain bullets. Hope this helps, Okie John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marcus, I have experienced the same mid life shooting crisis and this past summer, purged a few rifles, bought one and took an old 336 out of the safe that I hadn't fired in 20 years. I sent the metal off for re-blueing, refinished the stock in a nice tung oil finish, mounted an old Redfield 4X scope on Warne QD rings and shot it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I was absolutely stunned when the Winchester 150 and 170 grain power point factory ammunition delivered less than 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I chornographed the 150's at just under 2200 fps and the 170 as just over 2000 fps. They grouped essentially together. I had no idea these little short barreled lever guns could be so accurate.

For me, this gun will be used for whitetails at not much more than 100 yards and the 4 power scope is just right. As for iron sights, the factory gear remains on the gun for now, however, I intend to try the Ashley Ghost Ring aperture sites as soon as I get a chance. I contacted them a while back and found them to be very helpful. Their products are a little pricey, about $90 for what I need. The product I am interested in is a rear aperture which mounts on the weaver base, when the scope is removed, quick and easy.

http://www.ashleyoutdoors.com/

I am also set up to begin reloading for this cartridge and expect to get about 2400 fps with the 150 grainers. But the darned factory stuff is cheap and man does it shoot.

Brownells carries replacement buttstocks, part number 550-501-214.

http://www.brownells.com/Product/index.asp

Good luck with your project.

Posts: 80 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: 13 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I like 4X scopes, I dont see much difference in them and a 2.5 and they get the nod in low light situations. Ive settled on the factory iorn sights on my 336 and a 4X on my Savage 99. Ive used 150 grn bullets on Mulies for years with excellent results, they should be good for whitetails as well.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<don>
posted
I have a marlin 30 30. I mounted a 3 x 9 redfield on top of it. I shoot Federal premium 170 grain nosler partitions. It groups 3 in 3/4 inch at 100 yards. I've had some bad experiences with factory 150's. I'd choose the 170's and It'll do fine to 200 for deer.

<phurley>
posted
I still cherish my original Big Game rifle, a Marlin 336 in 30-30. It will always have a place in my safe with all those more powerful and flatter shooting chamberings I now shoot mostly. I did put a fixed 3 power Weaver scope on for a grandson, with see thru mounts no less. I would load 150 grainers if they shot well in the rifle, just to get a little more flatness in the trajectory. The first deer I killed with that rifle, a doe, will always be at the top of my trophy list. I have taken several Bull elk, Caribou, Moose, Brown Bear in recent years, but I will never forget the thrill of that first deer. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
My own sports a Weaver 4x and Weaver rings/mounts. Been on for 23 years and no problems. The combo mounts nice and low.

-M

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote