New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twins!?!?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm curious about people's thoughts on having two identical rifles to cover 99.9% of their hunting. I don't mean for this to turn into a thread about versatile caliber choice, but if a hunter could do all of his/her hunting with the .30-06 say, it would seem to make a lot of sense to own two identical -06s. When going on a trip you would only need one kind of ammo and if one rifle broke you could pick the other one up without any adjustment. I know us hunters and gun nuts aren't always the most logical and practical bunch, but if one had the desire to get that way...

Thoughts???

Bob

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Bob
Monogamy to one wife is enough...
Never marry just one rifle.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffP:
Bob
Monogamy to one wife is enough...
Never marry just one rifle.
[Big Grin]

I thought the quote went, "Bigamy is having one wife too many, monogamy is the same thing."

[Wink]

But anyways, who wants to one just two rifles. Especially if they're the same caliber?

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought everyone dreamed about twins!!! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It would be blind luck if the same loads would work the best in two different rifles. My brother and my neighbor have two identical Ruger 7 Mags that are 12 numbers off in serial number. One won't shoot any bullets 140 grains or heavier into a 5 gallon bucket, while the other one only likes bullets from 140-160 grains.

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I've been hunting since 1962 and have never had the misfortune to need a backup rifle although I've often had one with me.

I own a .30-06 in a M-70 and have surrounded it with a .260 Rem and a .375 H&H. If I'm hunting deer my -06 is backed up with the .260. If I'm hunting Elk, my backup is the .375.

When I go hunting Cape Buffalo, my PH backs me up!!

I'd recommend different calibers over "twins"

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is something else to think about in regards to two rifles. Twins might be all right, but you could run into a situation like I had 2 years ago. My brother brought his 243 and loads. But the loads (although we should always double check in the rifle at home right) were past max length, wouldn't chamber. So even if there had been a second identical 243 there would have been a snag. I let him use my 06AI and I used my Whelen.

So in my mind by having a backup in a different caliber you not only have a gun that might handle a certain situation better, but eliminate another possible set of problems. This year I am hunting with the Whelen and will probably back up with my open sighted .270Win.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No one rifle is optimum for everything.

It follows that you need a large number of rifles, so you have the right tool for the job.

Once you have acquired the basic 223, 243, 7mm08, 308, 270, 30-06, and 338, it is OK to start duplicating!!

:-)

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
There is a member of this site, Stubblejumper, who has done this. He has a twin pair of STW's and another in 300 RUM. I think the premise is a sound one. I'm sure he will join in and tell you about them, and the idea behind it.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own two identical Sakos in .375H&H one in Australia, one in Italy...

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 280s and I do take both on most hunts 3+ hours away. I have taken moose, elk, deer with them and I just like the cartridge.

It all started a few years back when I had a gun kicked in half by a horse. That was expensive, but I learned that things can go wrong so why not take an extra gun and leave it at camp. I use the same cal because it is what has proven for me and well I like consistency. One gun is a Sako the other a Rem Mtn Rifle. I do have many other guns, but they don't see near the action as my 280s. My wife also hunts so when we go together we are both packing a 280.

That said I am not the smartest guy on this site, so take my advice at face value.

Posts: 99 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 rifles that are Identical except for the power of the scopes and the caliber. The main reason is that when I take a rifle hunting they all feel the same to me. They all have 50 MM Leupolds on them and the same style slings. for years all I had was one rifle and now I have around 25 or so, it just made since to me to have identical rifles. Just my two cents worth.

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with the wisdom of having rifles as close to identical as possible, so they all feel the same. for that reason I have even had safeties on my sporterized rifles changed over so that they are all on the same side (the flag type two position safeties). And I think with my next 1917 project I am going to send the stock off my existing one and get it duplicated and make them as close to identical as possible.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have siblings. Same genetic parentage (actions, scopes, stock design, safeties etc identical) but coming at different times in different personalities. So whether I pick up a rifle to shoot a fox, a small deer, a big deer or a moose the handling and sight picture are identical.

It does mean that when I pick up my 9.3 for the first time in 11 months for opening week it feels like the rifle I've used most days inbetween.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My main arsenal is one Tikka .338, one Remigton .270, one Ruger .223, and a .44 Super Black Hawk.
A backup of the same caliber is a good idea but it's not a practical alternative for me. My .270 is my back up for the .338, and vice versa.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote