New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 and Feral Pigs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going on my first pig hunt this spring in Alabama. I will be using my old 308. I am considering the 165 Nosler Partition at 2750fps for this. What do you fellow fourm members think of this bullet for feral pigs. I know it works darn well for deer. Thanking everyone in advance...

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight....RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Excellent Choice! sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a .308 with Sierra 150 grain BTS GameKing bullets. All have been one shot kills, hitting just behind the shoulder. All shots completely penetrated the animal.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
perfect...

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

<leo>
posted
Sure! You do need complete penetration for a blood trail as they will usually run alittle ways. The good thing I have discovered about wild hogs(I've shot ten so far), once they are shot they tend to retreat down a working trail making tracking easier unlike deer that just head through the brush in no particular fashion.

<noabitaboutalot>
posted
I would agree that 150s/165s/180s should work well on hogs, I think that anything that works well on deer should work on hogs.

What do you guys think about surplus FMJ 308 ammo for use on feral hogs? Anyone have any experience with FMJ on any other game animals? I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Here in Missouri you must use expanding type bullets for deer hunting, but there is no such requirement for feral hogs (no regulations whatsoever on feral hogs).

Thanks, Bill

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I use a .308 with 165 Trophy Bonded and shoot about 100 pigs per year as an outfitter/guide, and my clients shoot another hundred+ pigs, as well. Pigs are my favorite bulet/gun testing medium, and I have learned a lot about terminal ballistics hunting them. Despite what many people think, pigs are not made of Kevlar. Shoot them well with an adequate round and a well-constructed bullet and they will die every time. Your Noslers should do just fine.

To noabitaboutalot, avoid those FMJs. They will pencil hole and you won't find blood or your pig in many cases, and occasionally they will blow up when they hit large bone. I guess what I am trying to say is that performance has been very inconsistent, and I no longer use them, even for head shots when culling. Every game animal deserves enough respect to spend the few extra bucks to use an adequate bullet for the job.

------------------
Greg Rodriguez
Mombasa Trading Company
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
<noabitaboutalot>
posted
Greg,

Thanks for the insight on FMJs, sounds like you have a wealth of experience on these feral hogs. I'd heard similar observations of minimal/non-existent blood trails when using surplus FMJs. I'll sight in for my Hornady 165 SST factory ammo (don't want to invalidate my factory warranty using those "bad" reloads). I plan on doing some Missouri Ozark feral hog hunting in the next few weeks, will let you know if we have any success.

If you have any "tricks" to help us collect them, bring it on!

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 165's in the 308 are perfect for hogs, avoid the fmj's, they are good for punching holes in paper.

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 165 gr nosler ballistic tips (30/06) on pigs and the kill like lightening. I may be wrong and correct me if I am but I do not think that nosler partitions are needed for feral pigs, the ballistic tip in 150/165/180 is plenty of bullet. I have tried woodleigh 165 gr protected points, and they are excellent to but they open up less and the result is they run a little farther as there designed for tougher stuff.

Regards PC

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Ballistic Tips are fine for broadside shots but don't leave much room for error on quartering shots on larger pigs. It's amazing how tough a large pig is on a bullet, and I have seen many softer bullets stopped short of the vitals on quartering shots on larger Boars (275-350 pounds), with the result being a long day tracking or even a lost pig.

------------------
Greg Rodriguez
Mombasa Trading Company
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Most likely the reason Mo. doesn't retrict bullet type for hogs is, like Texas they are not considered game animals so the game department doesn't care how you go about taking them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, one and all for your replies. Can't wait to go and see what happens. Are they good eating if you get a younger one. I have never tasted wild pig. Or are they better as as sausage?

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight.......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are excellent eating, although an old boar may well be a poor choice of victims. General rule we follow is, if you walk up to him and he does not stink, then he will eat fine. I like them better than regular pork. If he stinks a little, make sausage, if a lot, leave him. Sows and younger pigs are great table fare.

Be sure to get him field dressed as soon as possible, their fat holds heat and they will go bad or off flavor in a hurry.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mostly head shoot feral pigs because I love to eat them bar b qued over mesquite coals, Lordy. A blood shot shoulder is not good...
I used the GS flat nose solids this year in a 375 H&H and they work very well on body shots, I tried them just to see how they worked..They did a lot of internal damage and put the porkers down on the spot except for one that ran 50 to 75 yards. some NorthFork bullets really hammered them and the new 350 Woodliehs worked great.

I have shot them with a lot of calibers and a very accurate 222 from a stand with a rest is pretty deadly on head shots..I have yet to see a brain shot hog run anywhere..It would be exceedingly difficult to miss the brain at under a 100 yds

About any gun is a hog gun the way we hunt them, we bushwack'em from a deer stand over corn...

I have found them very easy to kill. About like a small deer I think.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote