Notify
Tools

Maine Black Bear Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted
Is it any good or?

I have never hunted bear and have been looking a little to Maine since I have relatives in RI and it could be a good combo trip with the family.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Bears are usually small but there are some larger ones. Average bear runs 100-200lbs. Sitting over bait can be iffy at best, better chance with dogs. You might have better luck in Nova Scotia.

bowhuntr [Wink]

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bowhuntr

I see what I can find on Nova Scotia

<Don Martin29>
posted
Black bear are really hard to find anywhere. Maine has plenty of them but they are so elusive. If you would like to hunt with a pack of dogs then that would provide action. Otherwise bears go where the food is so some watch dumps for them and others hire an outfitter that has a set up with stands where bait was put on a regular basis.

For myself I just like to be in the woods. So I would buy a hunting lic. and walk the woods for all the game that is open. But if your only after bear and your visit will not be that long and you really want to get one then hire someone who knows the ropes.

If you go to Maine and want to woods roam be sure to find out ahead of time what the land is like where you will hunt. There is all kinds of topography in Maine but a awful lot of low lands with blowdowns and bogs that are no fun at all to walk in.

<inGobwetrust>
posted
No offense to anyone but I don't know what you guys are talking about! Maine and even New Hampshire offer great bear hunting. I guess if some guys don't score ever time they go out they figure that the hunting isn't any good. I've taken a black bear 3 out of the last five years right here in NH and the smallest one was 190 lbs. The state record was taken last year and weighed 494 DRESSED! The record in Maine is even bigger.

By the way, I've never hunted with dogs.

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Do you guys have any good websites to outfitters?

<inGobwetrust>
posted
Try this one. I've never used an outfitter but I know these guys are in a really good area.

http://www.hillsideguideservice.com

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
You may want to look into bear hunting in New Brunswick. They have some real nice bears, and lots of them. If you are determined to hunt in Maine, one outfitter who is highly spoken of is a fellow by the name of Wayne Boskowicz (sp.).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don martin29-Black bears are not hard to find everywhere.Here in northern alberta we have unlimited tags and are allowed two bears per year.I often see bears in the woods,on the roads and even in the city on a regular basis and that is without even looking for them.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
They are scarce where I hunt. I have hunted in Maine a number of times (for deer) and never saw a bear.

When I went to Yellowstone Park they climbed up on the side of my car.

So it depends on where you are. Now there was a bear on my street (residential) but I did not see it.

So it goes.