THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Which Rifle/Cartridge For Elk at 400yds+

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Which Rifle/Cartridge For Elk at 400yds+
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted
I would pick a 300 RUM with a 200 grain bullet or perhaps a 340 weatherby with a 210 nosler.

I have not shot a 300 wby but I did have a 300 rum in a win 70 classic. I did not think the recoil was bad at all. It would shoot 200 speers at 3200 and 200 sierra gamekings at 3170 with retumbo. That would give a flat trajectory. That rifle would shoot 1" groups at 100 yards easily.
I would look for keeping 100% of my shots in 12" before trying to shoot an elk at that range.

It is also too hard to tell if a hit was lethal at that range so I would not hesitate to shoot again if the animal did not die at the shot.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Everything I've read on elk hunting mentions they are alot bigger target than deer so 400yds+ shots are not uncommon if one practices. And that is why I am getting ready now and testing loads, practice etc. There are two others who who go on this trip and all agree one needs to know their equipment and capabilities. The other two shoot 7mags and have killed elk too but I'm not sure at what distance.

I'm really leaning towards a 300Weatherby, this area/trip sounds like magnum country! I can special order a Weatherby Accumark thru WalMart and mount up a nice Leupold. Has anyone tried the new Boone & Crockett reticle? Sounds like what the doctor ordered!

Thanks for the replies so far, this site rocks!

JoelM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Joel, I think you are on the right track here.

Go ahead and buy the 300 Wby Mag! It shoots enough flatter and harder than the 30-06 to matter for the type of hunting you describe.

Sure, the purist will tell you to just get closer, but it is not always possible.

If you are intent on shooting 400 yards the 300 Wby Mag will do it for you. I suggest you shoot the 180 grain Nosler Partition and practice, practice, and practice.

In regard to the scope, I just put a 3.5 X 10 Leupold VX-III on my 300 Wby Mag that has the new Boone and Crockett reticle on it and I can tell you that system works!!!

I went to the range and sighted the thing in 1.25 inches high at 100 yards per the data in the Nosler reloading manual. I then shot groups at 100 yards using the 300 and 400 yard lines on the reticle. I came home and measured where the center of the groups were. I plugged the data into my Sierra Infinity ballistic program and guess what? It indicates those impact points are dead on for 305 and 405 yards, respectively. Damned close I would say!

My dad and I went antelope hunting in New Mexico last fall.
I got lucky and shot my antelope at not much more than 100 yards. My dad shot his at a measured 400 yards using a 270 Winchester and the Leupold Boone and Crockett reticle. His shot was perfect, right behind the shoulder, middle of the body up and down. The antelope took about 3 steps and dropped on his nose. It was a great shot to be able to watch.

Heck, this sounds like a good excuse to buy some new toys, go for it!

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO, if you can't get any closer than 400+, you really should consider a 30-378 Weatherby. Might cost more, but if you look at ballistics and performance, that is the way to go. Do the animal, and yourself, justice by taking enough gun to make a good shot at long distance.

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I recommend stalking closer. I've been hunting elk for thirty years, and to this day I've never shot at one from more than 200 yds. away. Even this year, I stalked a bedded elk that was 200 yds. away down to about 100 yds. for the shot.

Too many things can go wrong at long range with an animal the size of a bull elk, and I don't care what cartridge you're shooting. Stalk with within 300 yds. or less or else don't shoot. That's my personal restriction at least........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was looking at that scope too, can you explain that how the B&C reticle works, from reading about it, it's not entirely clear to me, but it seems like the reticle is not accurate at 10power? Or it has to be at a certain power setting to be accurate? Is that incorrect or are the reticles accurate at any magnification setting?

Thanks,

Sean

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, first of all it will not take a year to get a rifle back. Go buy a Remington and send it to a gunsmith you trust. There are lots and lots of good ones. Call John Noveske jnrifleworks.com or Greg Richards Richards Rifle Co. in Hobbs, NM. You can do a google search on either I'm sure.

Also, you can take your barreled action and send it to Shilen, Hart, or Krieger and they can do the work for you, but it may be up to 2-4 mos for a return. I also recommend PacNor.

The longest it ever took me to get a rifle back was 3 months. But it was all about timing.

There is a long list of gunsmiths at sst's

Good Luck.