THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Anyone get lucky in New Mexico......for a tag.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone get lucky in New Mexico......for a tag.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I pulled a bit fat nada. Again. As usual. Then again, if you swing for the fences, you often come up short.

Hope someone got something fun we can all secretly hate you for.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Wyoming buddy went 0 for 4 on the NM draws today!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rhodes canyon oryx.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Struck out on elk and sheep as usual.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No for my 3 apps...

And goose egg for my daughter on 4 Tags.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Drew first rifle mule deer Unit 30. As an NR, even that is ruff at about 6% draw odds.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
I went with higher odds this year. Got an elk in Unit 50, hunting buddy got elk in 6C, and my big brother got blanked.

We all got the same muley tag in Unit 45.

That Unit 45 elevation sure seems like fun for a bunch of flatlanders like us.

Posts: 160 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 31 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
No gila bull for me.

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Well, I pretty much got hosed. Out of seven applications, I pulled only my third choice deer hunt. Nothing else.

Ah, but to have the luck of my two older kids. One applied for three hunts and drew a great youth elk hunt in the Gila (when they should be bugling) and a broken horn oryx hunt on Stallion Range. The other applied for five hunts and drew the same elk hunt (applied with her brother above), an off-range oryx hunt for January, and a Rocky Mountain bighorn ewe hunt in the Pecos of northern New Mexico.

So, even though I don't get to hunt for myself much, I get to live quite vicariously through the kids.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Friend and I drew Barbary Sheep.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
one out of 8 for both of us... Unit 16 deer

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
Well, I pretty much got hosed. Out of seven applications, I pulled only my third choice deer hunt. Nothing else.

Ah, but to have the luck of my two older kids. One applied for three hunts and drew a great youth elk hunt in the Gila (when they should be bugling) and a broken horn oryx hunt on Stallion Range. The other applied for five hunts and drew the same elk hunt (applied with her brother above), an off-range oryx hunt for January, and a Rocky Mountain bighorn ewe hunt in the Pecos of northern New Mexico.

So, even though I don't get to hunt for myself much, I get to live quite vicariously through the kids.

Since I've started hunting with not only my boys, but my buddy's sons, their friends and daughters, I find these hunts more rewarding.

The facial expressions of both success and failures are priceless!! Memories that the kids will remember the rest of their lives!

A picture from last week.

Good luck on your hunts, it sounds like an epic fall in your future!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
That's a great pictures graybird. We've tried a few times for turkeys with no luck yet. More to go.

I'm quite excited about the kids' hunts and hope your wish of "epic" comes to be. Even if they fill half their tags, I'll need more freezer space!

Good luck to all you others who will be hunting NM this year.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Bull Elk, second hunt, Unit 21A. Deer, second hunt, Unit 21. I can’t explain why I’ve been so lucky with the draw.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

You had an elk tag for 21A a couple of years ago, didn't you. I remember a photo of you and a great bull.

Good luck to everyone that drew. Maybe next year for me.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Applied for years, actually decades. Drawn one tag in all that time, Gemsbok. Never drawn anything else. Frowner

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
John,

You had an elk tag for 21A a couple of years ago, didn't you. I remember a photo of you and a great bull.

Good luck to everyone that drew. Maybe next year for me.

Jeremy

That’s right, second bull tag in three seasons and a cow tag in the middle. Hunting again with Mike Root.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
my pops pulled an archery elk tag in the Gila, after about 12 years of trying. he is really pumped. He and I will be going on an archery elk hunt in CO, then he'll hang with me and his new grandson for a couple days, and head down to NM to chase gila bulls. i'm happy for him. unfortunately i can't go film, since the newborn is now home.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote