Find
Notify
Tools

How Big is This Bear?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
OK experts, please judge this black bear!

------------------
~Ann
Orion Trophy Expeditions

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
Hmmm, he looks about the same size as my uncle Walter who happens to max out the bathroom scales. Now that I look a little closer it might just be my uncle Walter in a fur coat.
Seriously though, it is one nice looking bear. Way bigger than the little one that took my trout a few years back in Colorado.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd guess that he's around the 400 range.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One sure fire method of determining weights of bears is found in the recent issue of 'bear hunter' magazine. In it, our own JJHACK explains his research and resulting charts for making accurate weight guesses from measurements taken from the bear.
Length and girth, I believe.

In the article, Jim did not relate how take these measurements without making the bear upset. Ann, maybe you could talk Jim into measuring this bear for you. (He always seems to enjoy a challenge)

Regards,
Bill in NE

Posts: 165 | Location: Adams, NE USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
Ann pictures are more than often not telling the true story. I would say somewhere in the 300 pound range, but it looks like it has good width between its ears. If you could however arrange for me to get my gunsights on it, now I am sure I could obtain for you a more exact weight of the beast.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
A frontal shot would be easier, but if I had to guess, I'd say he was a 6.5 footer or more, with 18.5-19" head.

We never judge or measure weight around here. Not sure why.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,
I would guess about 5 1/2". However, my monitor is only 13".
best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
I would guess around 250 pounds and 6'. The bear isn't as big as many seem to think. Is that a Michigan blackie?

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
He's fat but not too big. Look at his ears. A really big bear will look like he almost doesn't have ears. However, it doesn't take a very big bear to really trash a bee yard.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
It's too dark for me to tell.

I can make out ears.

Russ

------------------
"Out here, 'due process' is a bullet!" -- John Wayne, "The Green Berets"

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
If that white object to the left of him is a plastic five gallon bucket........his pretty darn big!

<Big Stick>
posted
He's very "leggy" and has Mickey Mouse ears. Neither are found on a big Bear.............

<heavy varmint>
posted
I'm guessing a young bear in the spring, not over 225?? Other than the ears and legs not much to use as a comparason, I used the sappling just to the right of his rump.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearhunt'r:
Ann,
I would guess about 5 1/2". However, my monitor is only 13".
best,
bhtr

Hehehehe...I have a 19" monitor. Maybe thats the difference!

Tough to judge by the ears from the back because you see more of them. If you use the ice cream bucket for comparison (~10" across) the lengths and widths add up pretty fast. I don't think he's a huge bear, but he's decent.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
My guess 250- 300 lbs. 6 1/2'.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big bears make there heads look small, but I would guess 225 to 250 Lbs

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are way off, BLAH,BLAH,BLAH.

I would say the bear would be 7' and about 300 lbs.

and about a 400 yard shot. So aim high!

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Farm:
OK experts, please judge this black bear!

Looks like about375 to 425 lbs.

Posts: 54 | Location: Moosomin,Saskatchewan CANADA | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
I would think 275 to 300 pounds and 6 ft plus or minus an inch. When do we find out?

470 Mbogo

[This message has been edited by 470 Mbogo (edited 03-03-2002).]

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it's a bear? It looks a lot like that critter in the bigfoot video that was floating around about 20 years ago. Maybe this is proof?

<303hunter>
posted
It's hard to judge one for sure. Without seeing his belly and the way his backside makes him look heavy, I still think he would go 325. When you shoot him let us know how much!

<Slipknot>
posted
Gonna see if this works..if so I lightened the pic so the bear can be seen better???

one of us
posted Hide Post
ok...I'll "take the bait!" 5'6" and 175 lbs.

best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I can see the bear now!!!!!!!!!!!

Day-amn, that's a nice one!

I don't know what it weighs, but I'd blast it with my .416 Remington Magnum.

Where is this bear? Are there more like it?

Russ

------------------
"Out here, 'due process' is a bullet!" -- John Wayne, "The Green Berets"

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<WSJ>
posted

<WSJ>
posted
Well, what's the answer? What'd the rascal weigh? I assume you shot him right after you took the picture, right?

A fat bear but not real big. Maybe a 3 year year old male? Or 2 in Pennsylvania? Just guessing . . .

His head's smaller than the bucket and is still visible around his neck. Big males have necks bigger than their heads! -WSJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the answer is, I don't know how big it is. This is a New Brunswick blackie that my outfitter there took a photo of at one of his baits. Seemed like this was the most common size bear he had photos of. I have only shot one bear before and it was in the 300 pound range. This bear looked to be of similar size to me. But, being that I am no expert, I wanted opinions from the gallery here.

------------------
~Ann
Orion Trophy Expeditions

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't suppose you have a pic of the critter looking at us. You all know as well as I do that critters looking away always look bigger. The first photo (to me) made the critters head look bigger than the 2nd. Seemed to have a lot of space between the ears.
From the looks of him in the 2nd photo I'd say he has some weight to him but his skull hasn't fully matured yet.
Was it a fall pic?
Do you have a frontal pic?

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would agree he is probably in the 300-350 pound range, he looks healthy and fat. compare him to the 5 gallon bucket to get an idea how tall.

where in NB are you going to go to?

rockhead

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is in the very northern part...Bathurst.

------------------
~Ann
Orion Trophy Expeditions

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there going to be an answer to this?

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann

you should have a good time in Bathurst.

I worked there several years ago, some some bears out in the bush even bigger than the one pictured.

If it is a spring hunt bring your trout rod. There is good trout and Atlantic Salmon fishing in that part of new Brunswic

You will find the people very friendly and the seafood great (and fresh)

let us know how the hunt turns out

rock

[This message has been edited by rockhead (edited 03-09-2002).]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote