THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    90 Grain Sierra Gameking BTHP for Antelope?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

90 Grain Sierra Gameking BTHP for Antelope?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted
I am most likely going on an antelope hunt in August and this bullet (90 gr. Sierra Gameking
BTHP) shoots very accurately in my Mark X .25-06. Obviously, at .25-06 velocities, it will shoot plenty flat enough for antelope. But, if I get a <100 yard shot, do you think the bullet will blow up even on a small antelope. Personally, I'm not to crazy about barely injuring it with my first shot and then from there "sprayin' and prayin'" as it runs off. Any opinions?

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think the bullet will blow up.

But that's not a problem with an antelope. There's not much there, and even a blow up will be a killing shot. If you like the load, take it.

Have fun.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You really ought to try a 120 grain bullet. Doesn't really matter which one. I think I'd start out with a Nosler Ballistic Tip and see how they shoot in your rifle. One thing to think about is the wind. That 90 grain with the low ballistic coefficient will drift more than the 120. And I don't think the 90 grain bullet will really shoot much flatter than a 120.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was going to try it on deer last fall in my 25/06 but because of medical reasons(cancer) I never got the chance. I did shoot 4 coyotes with it before I got sick and it acted like an expanding game bullet. Just what it is. I'am pushing it at 3465fps. I am sure it will do fine on deer at most ranges. Sierra claims that all their HPs. GameKings above .224 are made with heaver jackets and harder cores. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try the Sierra 120 gr. HPBT. I've had great results using it in the 25.06 Rem. on pronghorn. I've dropped them out to 328 yards. They go down like they were struck by lightening.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 90 gr well due just fine you most likely well lose the shoulder meat at close range but ht eritter well not run away. Antelope are rather small.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 90 Sierra will work just fine-in my opinion no more meat dammage than any other load. It may come apart and it may not-I'm quite sure it'll exit and keep going.

If it shoots for you take it and have no worries. I see no reason to expect anything other than a very quick kill with that bullet.

Have fun out there.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

(Pete you'll be in my thoughts at church thhis morn-still would lovetomeet ya and hunt yotes sometime)

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This reply is based on a great deal ogf experience with the 85 grain Sierra BTHP in a 6mm and I thought it gave excellent performance at just under 3400 fps. I usually got exit holes on mule deer and the bullet is quick killer. If you hit a shoulder, as with any expanding bullet you will lose some meat.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark:
Guess we'll just have to do it went I get heathly again. [Wink]

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the opinions and Pete, I hope you recover quickly.

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Seamus
I use the 90gn sierra all the time! it stops what it hits. It certainly doesn't blow up like some other bullets mentioned here!don't now how big your antelope are but if they weigh over 150lbs then I would use the 120gn it has a better b.c and more oomph! wouldn't use the 90 beyond 250yds its not got a good b.c and is not as accurate as the 120gn hornady/speer.the only reason i shoot the 90 is that I shot three deer one morning, stopped all three in their tracks, all bullets exited and the meat damage was minimal,there were no visible fragments of copper or lead .
just my 2 cents worth.

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a date Pete-perhaps this January or Feb eh?

Dog

"GET TO THE HILL"

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus O'Grady:
I am most likely going on an antelope hunt in August and this bullet (90 gr. Sierra Gameking
BTHP) shoots very accurately in my Mark X .25-06. Obviously, at .25-06 velocities, it will shoot plenty flat enough for antelope. But, if I get a <100 yard shot, do you think the bullet will blow up even on a small antelope. Personally, I'm not to crazy about barely injuring it with my first shot and then from there "sprayin' and prayin'" as it runs off. Any opinions?

<dennis hepner>
posted
seamus,
my cousin once dropped a large mule deer doe in wyoming with a 90gr.SIERRA HPBT at a range about 125yds. it was an impressive performance. the deer actually bounced when it hit the ground.
it was a .257 roberts,velocity unknown. i use the 100gr SIERRA spitzer in my .257 ACKLEY 3600fps and it kills like lightning and very accurate too.

dennis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis: I know this is off topic but what's your load for your .257 AI? What kind of accuracy? Thnx, Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And what is your barrel length (on the 257 AI)

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

<Dan in Wa>
posted
The 100 gr. flat base worked for me. Works great on mule deer also. No blow ups very minimal meat damage.

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bear in Fairbanks:
Dennis: I know this is off topic but what's your load for your .257 AI? What kind of accuracy? Thnx, Bear in Fairbanks

bear,
i sent you a PM,but here it is again. win.cases,norma mrp,100gr.sierra spitzer and cci 200/BR2. start around 52gr.and watch for pressure signs.groups run around dime size.
dennis

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Mark R Dobrenski:
And what is your barrel length (on the 257 AI)

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

mark,
it's 271/2".
dennis