THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Alaska Black Bear ... hippers or knee-highs?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska Black Bear ... hippers or knee-highs?
 Login/Join

<PostDriver>
posted
Yep, time is getting closer! I'm heading to Alaska to hunt Kupreanof in June. I know, watch out for the rubbed hides, but June's the only time I could get and it sounds like there'll be lots of boars out rutting then.

Question: Hip boots vs. x-tra tuffs (or whatever knee boots). I have a pair of fancy, bob-soled, Cabelas ankle-fit hippers I've used on two brownie hunts. I really flat-out don't like them! The first year they rubbed my shins raw and the second time (with insoles stuffed inside my sox to cover my shins) they were still uncomfortable. Hard to get in and out of, heavy, stay wet on the inside, etc.

This year, I've just bought a set of H2P outerwear. I got the Ranger jacket and Ranger pants. For those of you not familiar with them, check out www.riverswest.com . I'd heard good things about this stuff and thought I'd try it. I had been wearing KOTM wool which is great, but it's always wet, from day one til the day you leave. This short fleece stuff really looks great...quick drying, etc.

Here's the idea ... instead of wearing hippers, I'll just wear the H2P pants over knee-highs. The Ranger pants are of course waterproof but the key is that they have a 4" wide neoprene cuff on the inside liner at the bottom of the leg that is adjustable for a tight fit. After talking to the guy who designed it, it sounds like putting the boots on first, then the pants and securing the neoprene cuff snugly around the boot will work. Granted, if I'm standing crotch-deep in a river for 10 or more minutes I might get wet from water creeping up the inside lining, but I only anticipate needing boots for crossing streams anyway.

I agree that if you're wearing regular knee-boots the water will be an inch higher than the boots, but I think with the waterprook pants it might be a workable deal.

What do y'all think??

one of us
posted Hide Post
PostDriver: I agree with you 100%. I hate hip boots too. Whenever I'm in a marshy area, I wear knee highs. My suggestion? Take both, put a felt inner sole in the knee highs and make certain you put an arch support on top of that. Danner makes a good quality plastic arch support. Take at least 2 sets of felt sole inserts so you always a dry set to start the day out. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
PostDriver.

Ditto bearinfairbanks. I use x-traTuffs and carry extra felt insoles and either extra socks or a pair of SealSkins.

Joe

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
I'm another who prefers to wear XtraTuffs over waders. My calfs are too large (no jokes please [Smile] ) for 'ankle fit' waders.

I think your raingear/boots idea will work as you stated, but do expect wet feet occasionally.

Here's the waders I wear now. They are from Cabelas, and very comfortable, but offer no ankle support...

-

Good luck on Kupreanof. I hear they're out already down there. I'll be hitting the west side of Kuiu in a couple weeks.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll see plenty of non-rubbed bears in June on Kupreanof; that used to be when I'd start hunting for myself when I lived in Petersburg.

Those Cabela's name-brand bob-sole ankle-fits are terrible, I have a pair I'm returning. Way stiff and not durable like Lacross.

Xtra tuffs are much more comfortable for walking, and that late in the year a wet foot won't kill ya.

Good luck!

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
<PostDriver>
posted
Thanks for the replies...glad to see I'm not totally out in left field.

Whitehurst, I see you're in Cordova. I flew a bush plane out of there the first time I hunted up there, over to Hinchinbrook. Beautiful area!

Sounds like the knee boots and the waterproof pants are a go, then. I appreciate the advice on the extra felt insoles. I wear hiking-type insoles as well, but the changeable felts will be a great idea.

And yeah, those are the hippers I'm talking about. Man, they're murder! I've finally gotten them broken in pretty well, but they're still uncomfortable. Looks like it'll be the shorties this time!

one of us
posted Hide Post
PostDriver-definatly knee bbots and water proof pants! I am going hunting in June also,Prince William sound out of Whittier,smaller bears there but the peace and quiet is worth the trip alone! happy Hunting

Posts: 221 | Location: Back in Alaska where I belong | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I have looked into this a great deal. I will move to Ak in a few years or sooner, time will tell. Look at a hip boot called DAN BAILEY. They are breathable and have a taslon outer shell backed by entrant GII. I will pick up a pair soon.Also have heard great things about RIVERSWEST they have the H2P outerwear that is suppose to be great. Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote