New
Find
Notify
Tools

moose anatomy
 Login/Join

<Mark>
posted
What internal organs do the different colours in this picture represent?
I know there is overlap and I know the red part is the heart. Do the lungs cover all of the colours or only some of them? Where is the liver?
Thanks

------------------
Kluane Mountaineering Ltd
http://www.kluane.ab.ca

one of us
posted Hide Post
The lungs should be the green color. I know they seem to be a little too high in the picture, but moose lungs are very large.

I usually aim to hit the heart, or at least the canter of the lungs. Liver? Well...could it be the orange spot? I always see these organs when the animal is with four legs up in the air, so to see them when the moose is upright is a little different.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<magua>
posted
Mark is right, the layout is very different when he's upsidedown and the lungs are much larger. I also think the yellow would be the liver as it is a huge organ when laying on the grass.Thanks for the post, interesting,I'll check my Bowhunter ed stuff on deer and get back to you.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
The diagram seems a little off, but here's my best guess:

red=heart

green=lungs

yellow=liver

orange=kidneys

blue=intestines.

I am not sure what the little sliver of purple is intended to represent.

The lungs should overlap the heart a little more. Remember that the diaphragm separates the heart and lungs from the liver, kidneys, stomach etc, so there is little overlap there. The liver should extend almost to the bottom of the stomach cavity (near the brisket) but may be overlaped in the picture by the stomach.

Regards,

Canuck

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 04-12-2001).]

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck, I agree with your analysis and that the diagram is poorly done. Looks more like a mountain goat anatomy to me.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
<K9>
posted
Ok, just take a very careful look at the picture.....
To me it looks as if the person who drew the picture had taken a look at a moose that had been sawn through the middle and then had had the left part of it lifted away (thats why it looks as if the lungs are to small but they are actually hidden by the heart and the stomach in the picture).

I've seen quite few of those images here in Sweden. They are used in our hunting education or at biology lessons. They use some sort of chemical to stain the diffrent parts so that they are more easily distinguished from each other. Sometimes this is done with a frozen animal and sometimes with the carcass stabilized with the same agents that stains it.
The little purple sliver is, I think, the lower frontal part of the right lung lobe.

But of course, I could be wrong, I mean: I could have studied all these years for nothing.......

<Per Nelin>
posted
Happy Easter!

PerN

[This message has been edited by Per Nelin (edited 04-13-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now...That's a great looking moose, Nelin!

Happy easter to you, too.

Mark: The anatomy shown in the picture of the moose may be a little off here and there, but overall it is good enough to get used to what moose look like internally.

The heart looks a little larger than usual, but its location is fairly correct. The lungs are too far up, but still close enough to the heart to give you an idea of their location (the usual heart shot should also hit the lungs).

The left shoulder and leg bones are not shown, perhaps because F&G mainly wanted to show the heart and lungs. However, if you read their instructions on shot placement, you will realize how good a reference point the shoulder bone is.

Canuk has the right answer about the liver.

http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages/FISH.GAME/wildlife/geninfo/hunting/huntak16.htm

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to this if you were to draw a bead half way up the chest in line with the near foreleg (surely the aiming point for nearly all shots?) you would gut shoot it!? Surely at this point you would be getting a heart lung shot?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote