New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two Scopes For One Rifle.
 Login/Join

<Don Martin29>
posted
I just bought a Leu V1 2X7 for the 7mm WSM. I had put a 4X12 VX11 on it when I got it and that worked well for testing but that scope is long and heavy and does not have a decent field of view at any power.

So using the same Weaver bases I mounted the 2X7 and the rifle feels handy and I shot it at 200 yards and it's grouping very well. I don't need more scope than this for game. If I use the 7mm WSM for varmints after game season I will put a bigger scope back on. But this little 2X7 sits on low mounts and now I have backup in scopes as this M70 did not come with iron sights.

posted Hide Post
It's not a bad idea for a rifle that will see double duty. You can also use the 4x-12x during load development; it sure is easier to shoot tight groups at 12x as opposed to 7x!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don... I do just that. When I do load development I almost always shoot my groups at 200 yards, unless that is the cartridge is a short range affair. Most of my hunting scopes, however are low powered variables or fixed powered of some magnification, most of them are obviously compacts. I cannot stand absurdly large scopes or even the common 3-9X40s.
take care
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I, as most here know, agree with small fry on smaller scopes, they just perform better in the field....Shoot better groups with a 12 over a 7 at 100 yds. I really doubt that, it's all in the mind....at 300 maybe so.....

I cannot fathom needing anything bigger than 4X for big game hunting, O'Connor said it and I have never been able to prove him wrong...I tried for many years...didn't work.

I have never shot one head of big game that a 4x wouldn't have worked fine on. But I also, like most, went through the big scope syndrome of bigger must be better, so what can I say except it ain't so Martha.....

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<1_pointer>
posted
I'm contemplating going to a fixed power scope on my .338Win. This is my only rifle is it must cover the gamut of hunting, from bears over bait to pronghorns. I'm thinking of a 6x42 Leupold. Has anyone ever had TOO MUCH scope in a fixed 6X?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2-7x is as big as you want for a sweet little rifle like that, I have also decided I like smaller scopes better. I just shoot better on lower magnifications. I would never get another 3-9x40 for my big variables it will now be a 2-7x33. You get the betetr field of view and eye releif with the lower models to.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of a spare scope, or a spare rifle, when I hunt. I've beat up too many rifles over the years to go hunting w/o one or the other.
The big problem with a 6X is not practicing enough with one for the close stuff. I tell people I've killed much more big game at ranges measured in feet than I have over 350 yds.
My "secret" is learning to shoot with both eyes open, or at least mount with both eyes open. There nothing wrong with learning to hip shoot with a rifle either. Don't laugh, I've done it. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
One of the problems I have with 6X scopes is finding the game when it goes out of sight. It seems everytime that I spot something it walks out of sight or behind a bush or tree and I am looking for it again. I use my eyes for this but sometimes the scope can see better.

I started out with a 6X Lyman Wolverine (which I still have) but I was never comfortable with it. I also am 0 for 1 on aiming at game without sights. I have found that 4X is perfect and that's what I set the variables at. At the range of course higher power is nice.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Don,

Rather than re re-scoping the WSM you could just use your varmint rifle for varminting.. [Big Grin] But your probably enjoying the WSM too much to put it down, am I right?

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A would imagine a fixed 6x to be too much scope for hunting in timber or other areas were ranges are short and shots often fast. I've used a fixed 4x for many years but now have a 1-4x20 which is much better.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Put me down as another small scope lover.

I like my 2.5-8 Leupold, although I admit to only using the 8 power when bench shooting.

I remember seeing a guy a couple of years ago at the store buying something godawful huge (Like up to 15 or 20X) for his 7mag.

He had missed a deer at 300 yards with his 3-9 and blamed lack of magnification.

I have some 3-9's and similar still kicking around. I don't use them for hunting much anymore. Threy are just spares and go on rifles I don't shoot alot.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
When I use a 2x7, 3x9 or 3.5x10 power scopes I usually keep them on 5 or 6 power.

<Don Martin29>
posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
[QB]Don,

Rather than re re-scoping the WSM you could just use your varmint rifle for varminting.. [Big Grin] But your probably enjoying the WSM too much to put it down, am I right?
-------------------------------------------------
Yes you are right! I am growing fond of this 21 Century M70 and I need a long range varmint blaster for next spring. I have hopes for this rifle. Right now it's shooting in the one MOA area but more bedding work is needed. It's just fine for game now. I have the 4X12 for varmints but I think I will get something even more powerful. That and some 120 Hornady V Max's with their .365 Ci should really carry.

My long range varminter is a shot out old M70 in .243 and my local smith just retired. I should just send the rifle to Hart and get it over with but I am screwing around and can't make a decision.