New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for New York hunters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
am I missing something or is the non resident deer license in NY $100?

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
appears to be $100 and that will get you a buck/bear tag.

right now most of the state is any size, but there are murmurs that they may go to an antler restriction program like PA has.

If you want a doe tag, take some time to study their drawing system as being a non-resident some areas you can't get a tag, some are virtually guaranteed so you'll want to plan your first/second choice accordingly.

are you coming to the area to visit family, business, or just a new place to hunt deer?

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as a non resident deer license anymore. After our governor screwed every gun owner in the state with his trademark "Safe Act" he tried to make up for it by dropping prices on hunting licenses and making the license structure a little more simplified.

As a result, the base license is a Hunting license - it includes what used to be "Big Game" and "Small Game". Non-resident price $100. It includes one Regular Season (aka "gun" season) Antlered deer tag, one bear tag, and you can hunt most small game including fox, coyotes, bobcats. To hunt deer/bear with a bow you need the bowhunting privilege added for $30 - you also get an either sex deer tag with that. If you also want to hunt with a muzzleloader it's another $30 and you get a third tag for an antlerless deer. Still not too late to get an antlerless tag (DMP) in parts of the state - $10 application fee. Turkey permits are $20, good for 2 in the spring and 1 in the fall. Not sure how that stacks up to other states east of the big river but it seems reasonable.

As mentioned above, some parts of the state have been forced to adopt mandatory antler restrictions. Crossbows can be used in certain seasons but I expect them to be legal during all of archery at some point soon.

Good luck.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I would have been back sooner but been down with flu.
This past weekend, my niece visited me. She is my brother's daughter from his first marriage, and we have never met in person til now. Turns out she's a chip off the old block and is interested in deer hunting. She and her boyfriend own an acreage near Hinsdale, and we are planning a family hunt next year. Her Dad lives outside Pittsburg so it should be a good time with all four of us.

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote