Find
Notify
Tools

Arizona Mulie
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted
Hunting Unit 37A with my dad. 2 weeks ago we saw one of the biggest Mule Deer I've ever seen by Owl Head Butte. So we hunted that area hard Friday and Saturday morning and didn't see a thing. Saturday afternoon we found a stock tank with a lot of fresh track north of the Butte. We sat on that tank all afternoon and saw nothing but a coyote that didn't see me and almost ended up in my lap. At 5:15 we were headed back to my truck and considering sitting the tank Sunday morning, which would've been our last chance.

As we were both walking in the middle of the road I see a gray movement heading from left to right and stopping next to the road behind a tree, about 20 yards ahead of us. My dad and I both freeze. I can tell it's a deer, but can't see its head behind the limbs. It's trying to figure out what we are and I'm trying to squat low enough to see the horns. I manage to spot the base of both horns and take the shot. Using a Win M70 in .300 H&H Mag with 200 grn Partitions, I put one in the shoulder and out behind the far one. The deer ran across the road and piled up about six feet in. Which was nice because we had to pull him onto the road and gut him by headlight. Fork on one side and the right side is broken off.

Not a monster by any means, but I'm happy with him and will fill the freezer.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
300H&H strikes again!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tacos for 2

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2 good eatin' !

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the story and picture. I like seeing the little ones, too. I get more excited about meat than antlers.

What is the plant growing behind your right shoulder?

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
A perfect freezer filler! Congrats!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bja105:
Thanks for the story and picture. I like seeing the little ones, too. I get more excited about meat than antlers.

What is the plant growing behind your right shoulder?

Cholla. Satan's cactus.

Eeker

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Good story and a buck to be proud of considering how you got it. Congratulations.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote