THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Hornady 180 gr. B.T. ok for whitetail??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 180 gr. B.T. ok for whitetail??
 Login/Join

<USA-1>
posted
Is the Hornady 180 grain B.T. a good whitetail load. Has anyone out there used these on Medium sized game?

<Ranger Dave>
posted
Sure. If lead hits the deer in the right spot, it dies.

[ 11-04-2002, 09:44: Message edited by: Ranger Dave ]

<USA-1>
posted
Dave,
Is that comment from experience or just a passing brain flutter?

<FarRight>
posted
Whether or not he meant it, Dave is on the right track. It doesn't take much to kill a deer at typical hunting ranges. Put a bullet in it's boiler and it will be dead shortly most of the time.
Is the 180 gr Hornady a good deer load? Depends what cal and load. In .30 cal it should do fine at any reasonable velocity--from say 2500ish to 3000ish. Just remember to put it behind the shoulder and most of today's game bullets should work for ya.

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
My standard hunting load out of my 30/06 is the 180 grain Hornady "spire point". It's a flat base bullet with the interlock ring. It's never let me down--everything whitetail,mulies,bighorn sheep,mtn goat, black bear,elk, and antelope. I loaded my wife's 06 with the 165 BT Hornady interlock bullet, she had no problems on her sheep hunt here in Colorado, 250 yard shot & it took out the shoulder & both lungs. You should have no problem with the 180 grain BT Hornady.

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They well work just find having shot deer with them they all died. But then I have been know to shoot deer with 180 gr matchkings they all died too. I have shot deer with a 22 hornet they died too. Shoot a deer in the heart lung area with anything from a 22rf to 460 wby and they run from 0 feet to about 100yds. Break their shoulders or spine them they fall where you shot them. Shoot the bullet that you like the best then spend your time hunting.

Posts: 19572 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I give the 180 Hornady BT a big thumbs up as a Deer bullet.

It has served me well on Deer, and other larger animals too.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
The Benoit family use the 180 grain round nose bullet in their fast pointing short barreled slide action Remington rifles. They believe their 180 grain RN bullets buck the brush best. The fact is no bullet or rifled slug will buck the brush very well. I did some testing on my own and found that bullets work best when they exit the bore and hit the intended target and hit nothing else on the way. The fact is they are superior still hunters and need to think their choice of bullets is best to be successful for thier style of deer hunting. They all kill their big bucks with boring regularity every single season afield.
I prefer the 125 or 150 grain SP bullet in my old Winchester 30-06 hunting rifle. I have also taken my buck every season with that bolt action vintage 1945 Winchester 30-06. Deer being thin skinned and not that hard to bring down are generally hunted with much heavier bullets than needed to accomplish the task at hand.
Knowing your quarry, and where to place your shots with the hunting rifle you know is on target with a well constructed bullet every time you touch the trigger is certain to produce successs. Confidence in ones abilty is as importatnt as the rifle he has hung over his shoulder before he ever sets foot in the deer hunting venue.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure the 180 gr. Hornady is a fine deer bullet...Hornadys are just excellent deer bullets and I know lots of folks who use them on everything and swear by them...the interlocke is a premium feature and it works.

Posts: 42138 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
AT 3100 fps we have taken truckloads of elk with it so yes it is great for whittailes. This is our general all purpose bullet.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Thumbs up for Hornady. I use them in the following.
30/30-170FP
30/06- 150 SP
338- 225 SP
45/70- 350 RN
Next to try is there 55 grain bullets for the .223 rem.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote