Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico Antelope
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
Drew a tag this year for a rifle Antelope hunt--first time since 1990. Was assigned to a ranch just outside Nara Visa, which is north of Logan, not far from the Texas border.

Rancher had 8 tags he sold and me with my State lottery tag. I'd heard stories of ranchers not being too friendly to hunters who drew the State tags and would try to give preferential treatment to their paying hunters--$1350 per tag on this ranch. I didn't experience any of that at all, as the rancher was very friendly and even provided me a detailed map of the ranch. He did ask me if I'd stay on the eastern-most part of the ranch, encompassing about 5 sections, for the opening morning so as to prevent overcrowding any one part of the ranch. Since I like to hunt on foot, when most folks here just drive around until they see a goat to shoot, I actually appreciated the plan. Five sections to myself sounded good to me.

Just before daybreak I walked into the center of this area and at sunup started seeing the goats right away. First one was a doe who came in to about 80 yards to get a good look at me. Hunters who don't walk and get close to Antelope probably don't realize how vocal they are. They make all kinds of noises, and this doe was no exception. Snorting and squalling she was determined to let the world know I was there. She circled me for close to ten minutes trying to figure me out. She was successful in getting all the bucks to run out of range but I didn't mind as I knew there'd be lots of opportunities to come.

I'm guessing I looked at two-dozen bucks on Saturday as I explored the rest of the ranch from my truck, but didn't get any shot opportunities. By late afternoon the wind came up and was blowing a steady 20 MPH With gusts to 30 or so. I called it a day and traveled back to Tucumcari where I had a hotel room.

Next morning I was back at the ranch and started into the same area I'd started at the morning before. It wasn't 30 minutes and I spotted this buck's horns skylined on a low ridge about 180 yards away. I stood still after setting up the shooting sticks and he stepped to the crest, providing me a nice broadside. One 115gr TTSX from my .25-284 did the job and I got my goat. Was able to drive my truck right to him, dress and skin him right there and into the cooler with the 30lbs of ice I'd brought. Turns out the decision to drive out to get him wasn't the best as the next day I spent a couple hours and $360 for a new front tire to replace the one I'd put a Yucca thorn through the sidewall; at least I made it home before it went flat. All-in-all it was a wonderful hunt. I was by myself so photos were limited but here he is. Oh, BTW, he's deliciuos!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck! Congratulations and good shooting!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done sir! Thank you for the story.

Jim

Posts: 1208 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Nice buck John, glad to see you got out and got some hunting in.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Organic meat in the cooler always makes me smile .

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Nice pronghorn! You're having a pretty good year so far, eh?

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, sorry about the tire though.

Well cared for antelope venison is simply superb, along with your elk you will be eating like a King.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Congrats! A job well done!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speed Goat for supper tu2

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's been a great year for hunting. Celebratory in a way as its my 40th year of holding hunting licenses. My brother Mark and I have been hunting together since that first year, and although we didn't even see a legal Mulie buck during this year's hunt, it was still a great time. Lots of memories wrapped up in 40 years. Off to OK next week for Whitetails so still gathering.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking buck John. Not a bad looking rifle either. Hope you have been well.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the nice antelope! (agree the rifle looks pretty nice as well!)

Good joh on getting him skinned/processed quickly & cooled off. In my

experience, that is crucial in getting good tasting game meat/venison.

Well done

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice goat and nice wood on the pea shooter!

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Last antelope I shot was with a .25-.284 in Alberta. Kinda neat to see someone else using that wildcat to do the same thing, Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1847 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote