THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Texas Taxidermists for dry salting / boil & bleach

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Taxidermists for dry salting / boil & bleach
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
posted 25 June 2017 12:51
On the route from Rocksprings, Texas to Houston, does anyone know of competent Taxidermists I could leave a couple of capes and skulls with to have prepared for eventual shipping to New Zealand ? I only need dry salting of capes, boil / bleach of skulls. I would prefer a taxidermist who does this in-house rather than contract out this work.
I'm hoping to enjoy a short hunt in Texas early 2018.
Thanks to anyone who has info.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry Huffaker is an excellent taxidermist but he is quite a ways north of Rocksprings. You might post this in the taxidermy thread to get more info. You could also PM mulie mike on here as he hunts and knows a lot of folks in that area. Hope you have a great time in Texas.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JA, thankyou for your comments.
Also posted this in the Taxidermy category - checking there next.
The proposed hunt is with Mulie Mike and I have contacted his recommended Taxidermist. They do trophy mounting but not the prep I am looking for. Hence the need to find someone.
I am really looking forward to visiting Texas and I don't doubt it will be enjoyable, thanks.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Rhodes Brothers and Woodbury both in Ingram, TX on the way to Rock Springs from San Antonio. Also, The Wildlife Gallery has as a Wholesale skinning facility in Mountain Home but you must have the cape tanned by them.

http://www.rhodestaxidermy.com

http://www.woodburytaxidermy.com

https://tannery.thewildlifegallery.com/skinning/

Posts: 773 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06 king, good choice on Mike. I hunted with him in April of this year and had a great time. In fact, I'm going with him next year for an Aoudad ram. He has some quality ranches down there. Good luck!

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will you be coming down I-25?
There's Valentines in Pueblo and the ?? Taxidermy school in Canon City. I'd bet the school does that stuff to teach their students how.

PM me and I'll dig their numbers up. But, you should be able to online. They did beautiful work on an OLD muley remount for me. Not a flaw can be found.

Have a safe trip,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. At this stage I've emailed enquiries to Rhodes Bros and Woodbury so will see what becomes of those. They are not so far off the route to Houston that I could take my stuff to either as I should have time.

JA, I wanted to book an Aoudad hunt but my timing was unfortunate. Muley Mike finishes his Whitetail hunts then and thought Aoudad would be too disturbed to hunt. Will be hunting Axis and Blackbuck instead.

George, I could not find Valentines on the net. Any chance you could send links for them and the taxidermy school you mention ? Might as well check all the options. Thankyou for your kind wishes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This worked out well.
Gary Broach at Rhodes Bros Taxidermy can do what I need done. He's a great communicator and gave me all requested details in his first email reply. The other Taxidermists contacted also replied promptly but were offering only fully tanned hides which is more than I need.
Thankyou Wesheltonj for the link to Rhodes Bros. Absolutely spot on.
Thankyou also to you other guys who responded to my post. I appreciate your willingness to help.