Find
Notify
Tools

Aussie Wild Boar Hunting...
 Login/Join

<Scorpio [+] 4 pigs>
posted
Hi guys,

Got this 100kg + boar yesterday hunting (without dogs) in the canefields nearby in the Fraser Coast, South East Queensland, Australia.

We heard the pig rooting in the cane and waited in ambush as it decided to come out. My Winchester .30/30 made short work of it 4 shots later! (The 'dirty thirty' is my favourite pig gun).

Large wild pigs like this are typical in Queensland and the Northern Territory and they do huge amounts of damage to stock and fields. They are vicious buggers and kill many dogs and sometimes do serious damage to hunters.

In Australia we call them 'Razorbacks' as the hair on their back stands up when they are agitated. This is the biggest pig that I have shot so I'm fairly happy this weekend!

Ciao, Matt

-

<Scorpio [+] 4 pigs>
posted
Oh, bye the way if anyone is interested in hunting in Australia, checkout the great 'forum' section in the:

www.australianhunting.net

There are massive wild Water Buffalo in Australia as well and many of them are larger and more vicious than the African Cape Buffalo. In most cases its actually cheaper to hunt in Australia than it is in Africa as well. Plus, the aussie chicky babes are far better looking than the African mambas...lol

Ciao, Matt [Wink]

<Scorpio [+] 4 pigs>
posted
Theres a few more fairly good pics of the pig that for some reason I could not post individually... so this is the link to my brothers web site where the four pics are listed if anyone is interested:

http://homepage.mac.com/malpage3/PhotoAlbum12.html

P.S...told you I had a big beer belly...lol...hopefully Buffalo shooting in Arnhem Land next week will help work a bit of that off!!...lol

Ciao, Matt [Wink]

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Nice looking pig Matt, he's been living in a good paddock!

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice pig you got there Matt! Just curious, what load were you shooting out of the 30-30?

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Scorpio [+] 4 pigs>
posted
Thanks HiWall & JohnK,

John - I'm still pretty much an amatuer and haven't started my own reloading yet (still studying the reloading manuals & slowly getting 2nd hand reloading gear together).

Anyway, to cut a long story short I'm still using factory loaded ammo on all of my guns. On my Win model 94 .30/30 I'm using Winchester Super X 150Gr power-point ammo - which is great on pigs and normally takes the smaller-med ones on a first or second shot!

Take care, Ciao, Matt [Wink]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will love the extra variety you get from reloading. For instance you can get a Barnes X 165 gr Flat Point projectile for use in the 30/30 which would make the old 30/30 penetrate pretty well.

Great Pig.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Scorpio [+] 4 pigs>
posted
Oh, bye the way,

[Wink] If anyone is interested in a hunting safari in Australia I have listed some links to various guided hunts in Aus to give you a good cross-section of ideas:

1)Muckadilla Safaris (Queensland & Northern Territory). email: muckadilla@optusnet.com.au

2) John Clarks Guiding (Victoria). email: jrclark@start.com.au www.coralseasafaris.com

3) Outdoor Hunting Adventures (NSW & QLD). email: oha@idx.com.au www.homepage.idx.com.au/oha

4) Sambar Shikars Guiding (Victoria). email:errolmason@sambardeer.com

5) World Wide Hunts - Yeppoon Travel World. (QLD). email: rick@worldwidehunts.com.au www.worldwidehunts.com.au

6) World Class Wing Shooting Expeditions (Victoria). email:ianosa@bigpond.com

7) Australian Antlered Adventures (QLD). email: clarkanddebbie@hotmail.com www.australian-antlered-adventures.com

8) Davidsons Territory Safaris (NT). email: dassafaris@onaustralia.com.au

9) Queensland Action Guided Hunts (QLD). email: labbey@hotkey.net.au

10) Tropical Hunting Safaris (NT). www.tropicalsafaris.com.au

11) Also, I've heard many good reports about Matt Graham and his guiding & fishing trips (no! I'm not the same Matt!!) http://www.ausbowhunter.com.au/matt/

I have never used a guide (apart from my experiences in Africa) and have no idea about the quality of the above companies. The companies above advertise in our aussie shooting magazines, and there are many more that do not list internet contact information (so I have not included those).

Hope this is handy for anyone contemplating a hunting trip in Australia,

**Remember your best bet is to visit the FORUMS on www.australianhunting.net for the best info on the thrills of hunting in Australia.

Ciao, Matt [Wink]

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Hey Matt great pig! in good nick to!

Here's a photo of a big bugger we got last year, we caught him sleeping under a over hanging creek bank. He came out firing and charged my mate, who put a 45-70 slug in him, he then fended it off with the barrel of his rifle, untill I nailed him with my 6.5x55. Heart pumping stuff, I still laugh about it when I remember the look on my mate face as the big bugger came at him [Big Grin]
 -

Posts: 7996 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Scorpio [+] 4 pigs>
posted
Thanks Bakes

Are you on the www.australianhunting.net as well??? As I have'nt heard your name b4??

I would love to see the pic of your pig but it does'nt seem to be there??

Ciao, Matt

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Matt
I have signed on but have not posted yet. As to the photo, I don't know what went wrong, I'll see if it posts now.
 -

Posts: 7996 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Scorpio [+] 4 pigs>
posted
Still no luck with the pics Tony?? [Confused]

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
No mate for some reason it just won't happen. I'll email it to you tomorrow (at work at the moment) Got another pig yesterday after work, about 80-90kg small teeth though.

Bakes

<Scorpio [+] 4 pigs>
posted
No worries Tony,

I'm heading up your way tommorrow for 2 weeks pig & buff shooting in an area of Arnhem Land with an aboriginal mate (& his family) from work - so I can't wait to shoot my very first Buffalo!

I'll give an update when I return on the 9th July.

Take care all,

Ciao, Matt [Wink]

<Scorpio [+] 4 pigs>
posted
Hi guys

Hope you are all well and hope the hunting is good.

Just got back from the northern territory several days ago.

What an amazing two weeks it was...apart from the amazing scenery and plentiful game (we got plenty of pigs and a few buff) it was just wonderful being in the centre of Arnhem Land away from everything.

The .7mmRM with the 175g Woodleigh protected point bullets worked majically on the buff & pigs - dropped them straight away which was a huge relief!

Ciao, Matt

<243aussie>
posted
GDay Fellas,

I quiet enjoy hunting here in Australia. I mainly hunt goats in northern NSW. I am only new to the game but am hooked already. My best goat to date had a spread of 42 inches. Oh i will definately check out the aussie forum as well, maybe even exchange some photos if i can scan the buggers.

HooRoo

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen
I checked thru the links,
Now I understand why they make cannon shells and projectiles in Aussie land. BUFFS seems to be real steam trains and the hogs are no small porkers either [Big Grin]

I guess Woodleigh evaluates their bullets in the backyard with this kind of animals [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Cheers

/ JOHAN

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Matt,
fantastic!!

try the 170 or 175 winchesters.. i've had much better luck with them than 150s.

great job
jeffe

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote