THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    something new sight last weekend-forest service employee carries a gun

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

something new sight last weekend-forest service employee carries a gun
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jb
posted
Last weekend while driving around the hunting area, we came upon a "forest service green" pickup with a deployed ramp for a 4 wheeler, parked in the middle of the road we were on.We had to turn around and he was waiting for us a few yard up the road.He didnt stop us,but we stopped to talk to him.
He was out looking for the outlawed "permanent" deer stands on federal property in the natl forest with his gps and some signs to post (at the stands he found)about fines for hunting out of stands that are permanetly attached to trees.I would guess he or someone else will be out looking at them come opening day,maybe an aerial survey.I wonder how many tickets they will hand out on opening morning?
He was carrying a glock sidearm.Thats the first time I have seen a forest service employee carry a gun.
It was also interesting to learn that permanent stands ARE allowed on state land,a surprise to me.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Forest Service has their own Law Enforcement. They only have jurisdiction on Federal lands. I'm not entirely sure if the local police can enter Federal Lands without them. FS Law Enforcement are not common (sometimes one per forest or one per district), but they account for a lot of busts on illegal activities. In Eastern Kentucky they destroy a lot of marijuana crops in the Daniel Boone Forest. In the West they issue tickets for off-roading, illegal timber harvest, tree stands, etc.

They generally don't issue many tickets (except for the above mentioned), but I have heard of them doing some busts on spotlight poaching.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote