THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Where to go to get knives sharpened professionally?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to go to get knives sharpened professionally?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a place where one can send your knives to get them sharpened professionally? AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AIU,
On the knife forums there is a guy named Dave that does sharpening but I think it's mostly Japanese kitchen knives. Also Bark River Knife and Tool is noted for their sharpening and it doesn't have to be a Bark River knife. You can find them at Knifeforums.com. Just scroll down and you will see a Bark River forum. Mike Stewart is the owner and he aims to please.
Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking when one of the BIG Outfitters has a Show or Extravaganza(Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc.) the knive manufacturers show up. I've seen Chuck Buck(of Buck Knives) at a few of the events. I've not as yet seen anyone ask him to resharpen a knife that was not made by Buck, but it would not surprise me if he would do it anyhow.

Oldest Knife Manufacture Joke at an Event: If you hand them a knife, tell them not to cut themselves or mess up the edge. Big Grin

I've sharpened my own since Grade School, so I don't know who to recommend other than the folks that originally made your knife.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a warthog sharpener made by V Sharp, I think. I have one and it is a few swipes of the knife and your knifes are professionally sharp.

P

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sharpen my own also, I use a course and a fine diamond stone. Its sharp enough for me.

Posts: 527 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do them , for $5.00 + shipping . I have a professional Shapener , I am also getting into sharpping eletric shavers.

Posts: 1458 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you were in the Mid-South, and wanted them sharpened "professionally", I know what I'd do.

I'd round up all that need sharpening and take them with you to most any gun show. There's always a guy who has a knife sharpening booth, and he's negotiable on price when you have more than one. His end test is to hold up a sheet of thin paper and slice it. He did a nice job for me on a large stainless steel scuba divers knife among other things.

Not sure how this works in other regions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried to do it yourself??? It's not hard and if you'll learn you can sharpen anything anytime.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
For whatever reason, I'm not a very good sharpener. I just take my knives to the local butcher/custom slaughter place and they fix me up for pretty cheap.

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Buy a Lansky or BladeMaster sharpening kit.

It's not that hard and then you can do it to fit your own needs and schedule.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
Is there a place where one can send your knives to get them sharpened professionally? AIU

I sharpen my own but there is always a guy that makes knives at the gun show he also sharpens them for a reasonable price.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
I suck at sharpening knives.

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
saw shops sharpen stuff. and usually will sharpen knives not to expensive. find a print shop and find out who sharpens their paper cutter knives.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Whether you are good at it or piss poor at it, a person needs to learn to sharpen their own knives if they are going to use them at all.

Not being contrite or arrogant or meaning to offend, but if a person is not using a knife when hunting enough to learn how to sharpen it themselves, then they are not hunting or killing enough.

There are plenty of excellent sharpening systems available and all it takes is the time to set down and practice. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not do both? I think most of us sharpen our own to some extent. I always have a stone with me when deer hunting and make a few passes over it with the knife when I think it's needed while field dressing.

Other times I don't see anything wrong with giving a little business to a good guy who for decades has sharpened knives at the local gun show. I can round up a bunch and have him do them all. Besides, I'm going to be spending more than that there anyway, admission ticket, ammo, hot dogs, books on hunting etc, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Warthog system. I think I can make that work. Thanks for the replies, they are very helpful. Regards,AIU

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey AIU, We always had a couple of knives at hand when Skinning and Gutting. One of the old Green River pattern knives simply got sharpened with a "File". Never even bothered to Stone the edge.

The File left a jagged edge which cut through the meat real well. Just gave it a shot of water to clean it off a bit and then couple of File strokes during the skinning process.

Having used really sharp knives for a very long time, I was surprised at how well it worked. High Carbon steel needed a bit of touch up, but just a stroke or two was enough to get it going again.

Can't imagine someone doing that to some of the expensive Custom knives, but it worked well on that old knife.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks HC, I've actually considered using a file. As you describe, seems like it would create a "poor man's" serrated edge, an edge some folks pay big bucks for. Regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually have my knives done professionally once a year just before season. Then I maintain them myself the rest of the season with a ceramic sharpener.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF you are going to use a file on a knife use a hard "single cut" file... my personal recomendation is a chainsaw "Guage file", the flat file that's used to trim down the hard chromed "Raker" teeth.

As for sharpening knives I use a lansky when I wanna get a really sharp edge,but when I just wanna show off I have a collection of arkansas stones and I can do as good a job freehand.
It's just more effort than using my Lansky.

Then again I "improved" my Lansky, I added a hard steel "seat" where the tension screw goes
and I heli-coiled the threaded holes for larger screws.

I was never happy with how tight I could get the thumbscrews lansky provided So I modified it for fine thread allen head machine screws.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote