Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Shipping Advice for Antlers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
Wachtel, yes, it is $100 extra for a set of antlers if you fly Delta airlines. One of those ways for them to take our money.

Pygmy, it's interesting to here that USPS doesn't require a box, but I guess that can also be a good thing. First as you said, you don't have to find a box and secondly, whoever delivers your antlers may have more respect for the package if they can see it's contents.

Thanks all for your help. Good luck to you all this season.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens... I never used a box...We just protected the tips, taped the skull cap and shipped 'em..Antlers are pretty durable... If you are worried about them , INSURE them...They tend to take better care of them that way..

The main reason we shipped USPS rather than UPS is because UPS requires a box and we did not want to monkey around trying to find a big box that would hold an elk rack....Of course, USPS is cheaper, but that was not our most important criteria...

The girls at our local small town post office thought it was pretty cool when they recieved two sets of elk antlers...

Posts: 119 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spent shotgun shells are even easier than pieces of hose for protecting antler tips.

I have paid the air cargo and also shipped UPS. I shipped a big 7x6 UPS and had to split the antlers. I also split all caribou antlers as well.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Pygmy,

What did you use as a filler for the box? I had originally planned to cut the skull in a "V" shape in a way my taxidermist showed me (for easier re-attaching), bundle the antlers together, and then put hose over the points. What I am mainly concerned about is what to fill the box with and should I wrap something like bubble-wrap over the antlers? It is good to hear that there was a big savings. I will look into the priority mail from the post office, I doubt my buddy will care what company I use to ship the antlers home home. (Just out of curiosity, I'm I headed in the right directions with the capes?)

Sevens

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Also, I tape pieces of cardboard over all the points.

Another, more "rugged", method is to use short pieces of garden hose. Cut up an old hose into sections a few inches long & duct tape them over the antler point tips. Works wonderfully!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the Us Post Office...I had a 6X6 elk rack shipped home PRIORITY MAIL from South Fork Colorado last month to my home in upstate NY...Cost me $19 and the antlers beat me home..!!.

Use cardboard or pipe insulation and duct tape to protect the points and cover the skullplate...

In '99 I had two caribou racks split and nested together with the points protected...Shipped them from Anchorage, Ak to my home for $26..They took a couple of weeks to arrive, but they were in perfect condition when they did..

Posts: 119 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote