Find
Notify
Tools

Old Weaver scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I had this over in the optics forum but wasn't getting much discussion. I have been seeing several old weaver scopes of all shapes and sizes v series, k series, marksmans etc. on ebay selling for $60 to $80. Are these scopes (assuming all is well and they work)a good option for an affordable scope versus say a tasco, simmons, or BSA?
I have heard that the k series is the very best but the variables are questionable and to stay away from the marksmans totally. What do you think?

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with what you have heard. I used to use a K6 for hunting in the West. It had two horizontal crosswires 6MOA apart which ai used as a rangefinder. I currrently have a K4 with a big post retical for woods hunting. Nothing wrong with either one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ElCabellaro,
I agree with what you had heard.
The Marksman were cheaper scopes,as well as the 'J'scopes,which were definately better.
The 'K' scopes,in my opinion were the best.
The 'V'scopes are newer,but don't have the reputation that the 'K',s have.
I have a 'J'and a'K',but my 3 'k',s are my favorites,and I also own a Leupold.
Those old Weavers will take as much abuse as any scope that I ever heard of.
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find the optics on the old weavers lacking they were a fine scope in there time but the newer ones have better glass. I own 4 or 5 K series my newer burris and leopolds are much better scopes.

Posts: 19437 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I agree, even modern cheap scopes have more technology into the optics than the old ones, but the rest of their engineering dont hold a candle to the steel tubes where ruggedness is concerned.

I still use two old Weavers and like them just fine. The quality of optics in 2nd hand scopes also varies considerably so let the buyer beware. Get a "K" series in good shape and youve got something very worth while IMHO.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the Weavers Kseries and some of the old J scopes growing up in the desert South West for many years and they worked well, but they are not worth much in the cold weather of Idaho..I have seen the crosshairs snap and and they fog up constantly.....They have always been bad about fogging.

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Back when we considered the Weaver scopes second rate. We used Lyman's scopes then. A few friends had Weaver K scopes however and they were just not as sharp or bright as the Lyman Wolvorine and no where near as good in any way as the Lyman All American series.

I have a Weaver K in the drawer that I got some decade and a half ago to use because it would go on a peculiar but interesting one off detachable mount that required a scope with clearance under the tube like the K Series has. The scope is quite dull to look thru. All of that stuff just sits in the drawer as I just accumulate stuff and don't sell.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray's correct as usual. The K series is fine in dry country, but they suck in the cold.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold means different things,in different parts of this big Country.
But I've hunted in zero temps,and once,hunted in a freezing sleet storm that froze my compass that was pinned to my jacket.It was 30 degrees off,when I got to a well known landmark.My Weaver never fogged up,at all. It also has a dent on the tube,that would mark the demise of most other scopes. I will admit that the two Weaver 'K's that I bought cheap,had some fog in them,but one had a broken lens bracket,and the other was over 40 years old when I bought it.
My opinion is that you somehow got a "bad apple',just like I got two lousey Loophole,vari X 2's.
I agree,old Weavers do not compare with the optics,or cosmetic attraction of the newer scopes.
But faith and reliance has to be earned over time,and my K 2.5 is still on my favorite rifle,and the more expensive new one is on my second line backup.
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I buy every decent K 4 and K 6 I find as spares and replacement scopes. I find a few each year for $35-$50 at gun shows.

They are great replacements for the junk that neighbors and friends put on their once a year hunting rifles. They come over to sight in with their $19 Bushnell, it moves all over the paper, so we will replace it with one of the old Weavers. End of problem.

I agree that they are "old technology" but they are surely bargains. I have a NIB K4 with beautiful deep bluing that I just bought for $45 and installed on my 99% Pre 64 M70 .300 H&H. Now it all "looks" just right. Sort of a period piece.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have 5 of them 1 2-7 with german reticle 2 4x and one 2� (old el paso with bronz screw which i love)and one 1�-4� . i love them all except the last one and as Mr atkinson said:These scopes are very sensitv to fog and humidity,but optic is clear and construction is solid specially those old ones.i love old weavers with steel tubs.
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree that they are "old technology" but they are surely bargains. I have a NIB K4 with beautiful deep bluing that I just bought for $45 and installed on my 99% Pre 64 M70 .300 H&H. Now it all "looks" just right. Sort of a period piece.

FN in MT[/QB]

Good point Frank. Atop of my Savage '99 rests a VG Weaver K-4. I have some better scopes that could replace it, but none of them "fit" the rifle like it does.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm lucky...I bought a Rem 700 ADL with a K4 on it about 18 years ago. So far its never fogged or moved. I adjusted the scope one time in all these years, when I went from factory ammo to reloads. I'm very happy with it.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a K6 I put on my daughters elk rifle. After I got the scope I sent it back to a place in texas. I don't remember the address but I think it was El Passo. They over hauled it and it is a GREAT scope. I have never had a problem with it and fog, cold, rain no problem at all. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
I too, still use several of the steel tube Weavers that were made in El Paso. The best of these are the last ones which are the -1 series which featured the Micro-trak adjustment system. They had great glass in them and to me and several others who have looked through them are as bright or brighter than Leupold M8-4X scopes. I might add the M8-4X is one of my favorite scopes. I used to buy all the K2.5-1 and K4-1 I found when prices were more reasonable, but they usually bring more than I want to pay the last few years. [Frown]

Going further back the 60 B series was the first to have constant centered reticles. Before that the crosshair moved visibly in the scope and was quite often not in the center. The 60 Bs were a good scope in their day, but their glass is not what the -1 series is. The 60 C, C-3, and F series were between the 60 B and -1 series and as a general rule not up to the -1 series either. Any other prefixes following the power size, such as K4 60, I would stay away from also. When you get further back it is not uncommon to see external adjustment knobs. You are getting back quite a ways when you see those. [Smile]

I also would bypass the Marksman series because you can get better K series scopes as cheap as they are usually. I do have one on a 22 LR rifle and it has performed well, but someone gave it to me. I doubt I would have it otherwise.

I have a few variables and the V4.5-1 is my favorite. I also had extremely good luck with a V12-1 I foolishly let go with a rifle. The -1 variables are good scopes from what I have seen. [Wink]

The biggest drawback I see to these fine old scopes is their weight. Being steel they are heavy. I have not found fogging to be any more problem than with other brands. Actually I have had more Leupolds fog than Weavers, but to Leupolds credit they always fixed them. [Smile]

If you are thinking of sending a scope to Weaver Scope Repair in El Paso it might be a good idea to call and see if they still have parts for that particular model before you send it. I have heard some parts for the older models are starting to dry up. The scopes I have sent there came back in great condition so it perhaps is a pity if some of these old period pieces can no longer be overhauled. [Frown]

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just bought a K4 off some guy in washington [Wink] .
Haven't had the chance to put it to use yet, but I have faith in Weavers. I have an old 1.5-4.5X on my Browning BLR, and it has served me quite well. Also, a buddy of mine uses Weaver Grand Slams almost exclusively on all his guns......have never witnessed any malfunction or lack of satisfaction with them.

Wyo

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote