THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Winchester/FN M70 Extreme Weather SS Synthetic???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester/FN M70 Extreme Weather SS Synthetic???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am considering the purchase of one of the new Winchester/FN M70 Extreme Weather SS Synthetic rifles in .300 WSM as a lousy weather/terrible terrain mountain rifle. Any of you shot or even seen on of these yet? If so, what can you tell me?

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are not worth the money. They are not really that light either. Get a regular SS model 70 and add a lightweight kevlar/fiberglass stock of your choosing shedding the heavy factory tupperware and your just as well off. I handled one at Cabelas. Just my opinion.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I have only handled one in a store, but really like it. They balance very well and seem pretty light to me. The are nicely finished and everything seemed to be in perfect order.
I would recommend it based on what I have seen.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not have the "extreme" model but the regular wood and blue model. I love it. The new M70 is outstanding and shoots very well. I got rid of all pre-64's and bought the new ones. Better built, more accurate, better quality control in my opinion.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a new M-70 SS extreme in .30-06. Here's the rub. I like the way the rifle is built the action is butter smooth the trigger although not an original style M-70 trigger is easy to adjust and makes for a really nice trigger pull with the simple twist of a screw.

When I first got the rifle it had severe accuracy issues. As in terrible scattering 6" groups at 100 yards. I was disgusted and almost gave up on the rifle until I called my gun smith. He said he had three new M-70's in for the same problem but that it was easily correctable. They need to be properly bedded and they some have a crown issue as in the crown isn't cut square to the bore.

After a bedding job and a recrown my M-70 is now shooting at .5 MOA. It is disappointing to me that it needed this tweaking but now it really is a great little rifle. I like mine very much.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys, guys.

It looks like I'd better start saving my pennies for one.

Surestrike, your comments are very helpful, since my plan anyway was to cut the barrel back a hair and put the rifle into a Lonewolf ultralight stock.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote