New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legal range
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Cody, WY which is kind of long range central with Best of the West and Gunwerks in the neighborhood. I was at the range one day talking to a celebrity hunter from one of these outfits. One of the reason he mentioned that was great about long range shooting was it allowed physically incapable people to make a shot where they could not get closer. That of course brings up a number of thoughts with one being if the long range shooter is not capable of getting to the game how is he going to check if he missed or wounded the game if it isn't DRT? I gotta feel that that elk that's 700 yards across the canyon is not going to get checked on at all unless the hunter sees him fall even if the hunter might be capable. Slogging through brush and boulders for 2 hours to get to where the elk was might not be worth it if the elk didn't tip over immediately.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12962 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I used to live in Cody, WY which is kind of long range central with Best of the West and Gunwerks in the neighborhood. I was at the range one day talking to a celebrity hunter from one of these outfits. One of the reason he mentioned that was great about long range shooting was it allowed physically incapable people to make a shot where they could not get closer. That of course brings up a number of thoughts with one being if the long range shooter is not capable of getting to the game how is he going to check if he missed or wounded the game if it isn't DRT? I gotta feel that that elk that's 700 yards across the canyon is not going to get checked on at all unless the hunter sees him fall even if the hunter might be capable. Slogging through brush and boulders for 2 hours to get to where the elk was might not be worth it if the elk didn't tip over immediately.

Mark

That is not true with people I have hunted with.

They turn down shots because they are not sure they can hit the animal.

We had this on several occasions, and jokingly they would suggest I take the shot.

I have, and I have always killed the animal I shot at.

To them, this has nothing to do with my ability, but due to my magic bullets!

This whole subject does not make sense anyway.

2 years ago I wounded a kongoni.

Not sure how far he was but less than 200 yards in the bush.

Not sure if it was me or the bullet got deflected.

We ran after him.

Next we see him across a valley walking up a hill about 500 yards away.

Someone said he wasn’t seriously hurt.

I asked Alan to put the shooting sticks up, he did, saying “that is very far!”

I fired at him, and he dropped.

Alan next sentence was “bloody hell! That is ridiculous “

So almost a miss at close range, and a deadly hit at long range!

Legal??

By whose standards?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68035 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Legal??

By whose standards?

Stuff like this comes under the heading of stuff happens.

Posts: 19503 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Legal??

By whose standards?

Stuff like this comes under the heading of stuff happens.

Stuff happens to us in our everyday lives.

Bringing laws to hunting on what distance one should shoot is just plain silly.

I know professional hunters who won’t let clients shoot a buffalo further than a few yards.

And I know professional hunters who never questioned their clients on what distance he should shoot.

We saw an eland across an open plain, at least a mile away.

We walked towards him, when we got closer - still several hundred yards away.

My PH put the shooting sticks up and said “ it is a bit far. You have to aim high”

I did shoot it, and I did kill it.

And we never stopped teasing my PH for what he said.

His answer was “ you keep telling me if you can see it, you can hit! The eland was in plain sight!”

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68035 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad always complained about the scopes with multi lines and range finding binos. Very old school but I have to agree with him on this. We used to hunt on a ranch, at the time was one of the best blacktail deer ranches on the Central coast. I dont remember very many shots over 200 yds. The longest shot I ever took with my 257 Weatherby was maybe between 250-300 yds on the biggest wild boar I have shot to date, but on deer i would say most were shot at 150yds and less.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My dad always complained about the scopes with multi lines and range finding binos. Very old school but I have to agree with him on this.

My dad died at 87 some years back he thought those two items were useful. He had over 75 years of hunting experience.

Then he was one of the first local hunters to scope his rifle after WWII.

Said it was the best move he made when it came to game shooting.

He even had 20-15 vision.

I have been using laser range finders for as long a time and multi reticle scopes for longer then that.

I find them to be great tools.

They have change shooting and hitting further out there for sure.

I have seen hundreds of deer shot in Northern Wis. The average range is well less then a hundred yards.

So what.

I have shot deer out west as close as 50 feet and further then a lot of hunters here would shoot.

I do not buy scopes any more with out multi reticles.

Unless they are going on short range cartridges like 44mag, 45-70.

Even then it is not a bad idea to have them in case you change out scopes.

In them I prefer the simpler ones Mil dots two or three hash marks.

Posts: 19503 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am just against more laws period.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37292 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All this is just conjecture, such a law cannot be enforced as its in a wilderness or in a deer stand in bumFxxx Maine. You can't enforce and idea.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42062 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote