THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    How too get my wife to go shootin' with me?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How too get my wife to go shootin' with me?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife never picked up a gun in her life. Everytime I try and get her to go shoot .22s with me, she will not do it for anything. Both her father and I have tried to get her to shoot for the longest time, but she won't as much as lay a finger on a gun.

I've run out of ideas. I've tried bribing her with money and everything, but without any luck. She doesn't hate guns, because she just bought me a new 10gauge Binneli for Christmas. She just won't fire them for anything. What's a man to do?

Posts: 68 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Have a lady of the evening come lie in your bed with you timed so that when your wife gets home from shopping or whatever she finds you there with Trixy. Leave a firearm of your choice, *unloaded* on the dresser. That oughta' do it. Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hilarious

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Introduce her to Riaan and Freddy, PHs in RSA. These photo's are from when they got Lisa to start shooting.

We're all wearing coats because Hell was starting to freeze over...

Seriously, get a friend of her to go with her.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do get your wife to target shoot , NEVER compete with her .I've known a number of women who were introduced to shooting ,became better shots than their husband.The husband then became upset [ the old ego thing]and the wife quit shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Replace existing front rifle site by welding a replacement in the form of a diamond bead.

The next thing you know she wont be able to wait for the next hunt.

Posts: 135 | Location: N.D | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried to get my wife to hunt or shoot with me for years but she wants nothing to do with it. I have gotten her to spot for me at handgun silhouette matches in the past but my oldest boy has taken that job over. I think her dad spoiled it for me. When she was a teen he used to make her reload for him and do deer drives. My wife has supported me 100% in all shooting and hunting related things so I support her in the things she really enjoys. The last time I saw her shoot was in 1983. One shot at a gallon milk jug at 385 yards with her dads 243. She center punched it. My shot was 1.5" off center but I think the jug was still swinging a little from her shot. bewildered

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
I think the "friend" idea presents the most promise. Tell one of her friends that you want to get her to shoot with you, and maybe then she can show interest next time she's hanging out with your wife. Maybe that'll open the door. Big Grin

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask her is she'd rather go shoot or stay at home and have sex. If that doesn't do it give up.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why in the world would you want to do that in the first place. I really do love my wife but I also love my time away from her just as she loves time away from me. Sometime I think more so.
The only way to get her to "want" to go is to make it more exciting for her than staying home. Come home excited and reeling from a "great" day at the range. Expound upon the great men and women there and don't spend much time talking about anything else. Especially don't "enjoy" your time at home. Eventually one of two things will happen. She will start wanting to go with you or she will leave you. In either event you will have more time to enjoy shooting.
Good luck.
The above is nothing more than speculation. I doubt anyone here or anywhere else in the world will have the where-with-all to help you understand the workings of a woman.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
put a target on your forehead.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell her her breasts feel almost as nice as her sister's.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M16 beat me to it:

"Honey, shooting will probably give you a headache. Take your pick, I'm having fun either way...."

one of us
posted Hide Post
GREAT LADY YOU GOT THERE STEVE....... my wife goes an shoots with me once in while... she has her fathers old colt 38 spl snubbie he was a cop here in town an when he passed on she inherited the colt....... i reload for it and my model 27...... nice to use the same home cast slugs for both guns...she's about due to go the range with me again....... when she shoots the colt it reminds her of her father.....but he never took her shooting.... i got that started.............

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about this?
Go to your local gun club, find an instructor, pay for a series of lessons for your wife. Now comes the tricky part.YOU stay the heck away fron the venue where she is taking her lessons. She'll learn to shoot snd to enjoy it. Then when she goes shooting with you it'll be as an equal not as a student or someone who feels inadequate to your godlike skills. ( you might just want to consider lessons for yourself to save future embarsement)
Bob

Posts: 107 | Location: Wet side | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Get her a Red Ryder BB Gun for Christmas Wink

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Not giving advice here, but letting you know what happened with me. When my wife and I married back in 1999, she had never touched a gun. We went to the range, and she tried my .22 rifle. At 100 yds, standing, she was popping clay targets like crazy! She ended up going hunting with a Featherweight .280 Rem. She enjoys target work more, saying it gives her a feeling of power (hint). She has outshot me several times, and I congratulate her heartily! She owns a Taurus .357, a S&W P99 in .40 S&W, and a Walther P22. My girls (3 of them) all shoot and hunt. Last year, my daughters collected a cow elk and a doe deer. Shooting is a MUCH better obsession than drugs, alchohol, tattoos, thongs, etc! It also makes spending money for shooting items easier to justify. Good Luck!

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 597 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheBigGuy:
Get her a Red Ryder BB Gun for Christmas Wink
YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Promise to take her shopping afterwards.....

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't recommend this, as she'll learn enough about guns to identify the various brands and calibers and she'll know when a new one mysteriously appears in the safe. Also if you get a divorce, it's nice for her not to know that you have a few expensive custom rifles in the house. Seriously I wouldn't mind for mine to shoot, but I wouldn't want to take her on hunting trips, a couple need some time apart.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bob K. When I married 18 years ago my wife did not shoot. I tried to get her to shoot but she wasn't interested. Then I spoke with other women I knew that did shoot and asked them if they might help the wife to learn. She now goes hunting with me, which I enjoy very much.

I think the thing is that some women don't want to feel intimidated in what has traditionally been a "man's" sport. They don't want to be laughed at when they are learning, and especially not by their husbands.

See if she would go with some women who shoot.
If she goes and tries it with them and doesn't like it, then you have done the best you can do.