New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Blaser Chronicals
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had the Blaser R 93 at the range yesterday getting it ready for a couple of hunts.
I will be using the 300 Win Mag bbl on my Wyoming elk hunt. I tested 3 different loads at 300 yards. I fired 3 shots from each load, shooting prone off of my pack with a hasty sling. The rifle is scoped with a Leupold 3.5x10 long Range with the Ballistic cam.
Remington 180 Ballistic Tips [we put in for deer tags too, do not know about them yet], put 3 shots into a 3 1/2" group.
Remington 200 Swift A Frame put 3 shots into a little under 3", overlapping the 180's.
Federal 200 Trophy Bonded Bearclaws shot a 2 1/4" group three inches below the other two loads.
The rifle shot perfect so futher testing was necessary.
If I have time I will work up a load with 180 Nosler Partitions, but any of the 3 factory loads shoot good enough to hunt with.

I also shot my two 375 H&H bbls concentrating mostly on the 19 2/4" Tracker bbl I am using on the Idaho bear hunt. I fired Federal 250 Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. Fed 300 TBBC, Fed 300 Nosler Partition, and 285 Speer Grand Slam.
All shot good at 100 yards with the scope [1.5x5 Leupold with heavy duplex], and at 25 yards with the iron sights.
This short bbl shoots just as good as the longer 375 bbl and puts the different factory loads closer to the same impact point than does the longer bbl.
The 250 TBBC's kick a little bit less than the heavier bullets, but not enough to make any difference in a hunting situations.

It sure is nice to take rifles to the range and not have any problems. Big Grin

I hope to get to the range today and put another scope on my 223 Blaser bbl and shoot the K 95 at 200 and 300 yards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post
If you haven't tried Federal Classic 270 gr. soft points, you might want to.

They shot much better than any of the premium stuff in my 375 barrel and are cost effective also.

The bullet should be about right for NA game.

Ted

Posts: 152 | Location: China Spring, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2:

Shooting MOA or less at 300 yards from field positions is very good shooting. What will that gun do from the bench? It seems to like all the factory ammo - that is a good thing. Almost makes load development a waste of time.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sodakhntr
I have killed a pig with the Fed 270 RN, and you are correct. My brother will use those in his 375, though his 45/70 will be his primary rifle.
cwilson
I have not shot that rifle from the bench, I usually do all of my sighting in and load development prone, the same way I try to take long range shots in the field.
I will try to develop a load with the Nosler Partition when I get time. Reloads areusually more accurate than factory, and a mlot less expensive.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I fired 3 shots from each load, shooting prone off of my pack with a hasty sling.

Is this a private or work-related range, or is there one in the area that lets you shoot away from the bench? I usually shoot at Winchester (or the range formerly known as Winchester) off Luna but I undestand that they don't want you shooting unless you are on the bench.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles It is a work related range. However, I am pretty sure Gibsons Outpost [take Hiway 80 exit Lawson Road] in Mesquite, across from Devils Bowl Speedway will let you shoot prone or sitting. They have 50, 100 and 200 yard ranges.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll look into that.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote