THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Might have just found my new choice in hunting boots

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Might have just found my new choice in hunting boots
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
I was in the need for a new pair of hunting boots as my current pair finally started to take on water during the seasons last year.

I'm one of those guys who has learned that no insulation works best for me because my feet sweat so much even when stand hunting for whitetails back on my dad's place in Oklahoma. Add in spot and stalk hunting in the Colorado Mountains, and it’s a NO insulation boot for me!

So, I've been watching and looking around for a new potential boot. I was reading a boot review in one of my hunting magazines and within this review was the Hanwag Alaska GTX boot manufactured by Lathrop & Sons. They rated it all 5 stars for Comfort & Fit, Break-in, Design, and Durability. Not to mention, it was one of the cheaper boots they compared at just under $300.00 once shipping was included. I decided to order a pair and give them a shot. Although, I'll admit I'm one of those pessimistic type of guys when ordering things off the net, or from a catalogue, without being able to try it on first hand. Great move on my part!!!!

I'll admit the full-length removable insole needs to be replaced with a softer insole, but the boot itself is fantastic! Although I haven't been able to try them out in the mountains yet, I have taken them around the block a couple of times now, and they feel as though they'll give me the needed ankle and arch support while traipsing around steep terrain.

Just thought I'd pass along my recent find, in the event, someone else is looking for a new boot for this winter.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair from them, and have been very happy. They did a little work on them for me to get my right foot fitted perfectly, as its a little smaller then the left.
Very happy and great boots.!!!
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as they dont swish when you walk,you are good to go!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HA!
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are they "Made in the USA"?

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVL III:
Are they "Made in the USA"?

Nope, Made in Germany.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seeing your post reminded me i needed to get a new pair for this yr.
i've been wearing "rocky birdshooters"
for the past 6 or so yrs.
no insulation and 3 pounds a pair,waterproof
8" tops.
i hunted sheep to antelope in them and thou i will wear out a pair a yr i ordered the new pair yesterday. $134.00

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote