Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many grizzly bears in montana?
 Login/Join

posted
It was either last sunday week or the week before that the CBS 60 minutes show had an article on montana grizzlies. A farmer's drone showed 18 grizzlies in his 100 acre corn field one night eating his corn, most likely the ear corn. He was right next to a national forest. I have seen what a heavy population of raccoons can do to a small corn field(5 acres) so bears must be really desvastating.

Posts: 18 | Location: Taylor, Texas | Registered: 20 August 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
800 Grizzly bears in Yellowstone National Park, and I would guess about 500-1000 more in the rest of Montana, and another 200 in the rest of Wyoming.

Posts: 7778 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkrolan:
It was either last sunday week or the week before that the CBS 60 minutes show had an article on montana grizzlies. A farmer's drone showed 18 grizzlies in his 100 acre corn field one night eating his corn, most likely the ear corn. He was right next to a national forest. I have seen what a heavy population of raccoons can do to a small corn field(5 acres) so bears must be really desvastating.

Bears can destroy many acres in a corn, oats, wheat field.

They destroy about 10 times what they eat. I have seen the damage first hand.

They knock down huge areas of the crop.

Posts: 19503 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
800 Grizzly bears in Yellowstone National Park, and I would guess about 500-1000 more in the rest of Montana, and another 200 in the rest of Wyoming.

There's less than 200 within YNP. There's another 500+ in the surrounding areas, which encompass about 36K sq. miles or 22 MILLION acres in northwestern WY, southwestern MT & eastern ID.

There's another population in far northern MT (Glacier/Waterton NP area & ID.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
quote:

There's less than 200 within YNP. There's another 500+ in the surrounding areas, which encompass about 36K sq. miles or 22 MILLION acres in northwestern WY, southwestern MT & eastern ID.

I was in Yellowstone in June and was talking with a biologist while we were watching a well known grizzly sow and her cub. He told me the official estimate is around 200 grizzlies in Yellowstone, but unofficially it’s thought to be closer to 500. Straight out of the mouth of a Yellowstone bear biologist.

Posts: 3890 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:

I was in Yellowstone in June and was talking with a biologist while we were watching a well known grizzly sow and her cub. He told me the official estimate is around 200 grizzlies in Yellowstone, but unofficially it’s thought to be closer to 500. Straight out of the mouth of a Yellowstone bear biologist.

Well, I guess if your bear biologist said so, it's true. Was it Frank van Manen, Kerry Gunther or Mark Haroldson?

Then again...Yellowstone PARK is not large enough to support 500 grizzly bears in addition to the black bear population.The largest part of the population is outside the park boundaries in the area known as the Greater Yellowstone Ecosytem. Just like the "well known grizzly sow," I suspect the interagency team that monitors & numbers the bears within the park know within a very few of the those living there to not have an 'unofficial' number, especially one that's 2 1/2 times the actual count.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's some interesting -- albeit technical & boring -- reading on methods used to 'count' grizzlies.

Estimates for Population Monitoring of Grizzly

Although somewhat dated, more interesting reads...
USGS Grizzly Bear Boundary Layers

one of us
posted Hide Post
They have been under estimating the bear and wolf population for years.

Knowing full well it is harder to push the agenda if the true numbers are known.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
They have been under estimating the bear and wolf population for years.

Knowing full well it is harder to push the agenda if the true numbers are known.

How do you know that?? Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well, I guess if your bear biologist said so, it's true. Was it Frank van Manen, Kerry Gunther or Mark Haroldson?

Then again...Yellowstone PARK is not large enough to support 500 grizzly bears in addition to the black bear population.The largest part of the population is outside the park boundaries in the area known as the Greater Yellowstone Ecosytem. Just like the "well known grizzly sow," I suspect the interagency team that monitors & numbers the bears within the park know within a very few of the those living there to not have an 'unofficial' number, especially one that's 2 1/2 times the actual count.

I have no recollection of the guy’s name. He was wearing a Park Service uniform, told me he grew up in Gardner and has worked for the park since graduating college. Guy was probably 35-40. As for the well known grizzly, it was one they’ve named “Raspberry”, a sow that I was told mostly lives near the shore of Yellowstone Lake, east of the hotel. I think naming wildlife is dumb, so didn’t mention her name because I think calling any grizzly Raspberry is just plain stupid. And, now that you mention it, yes I do think he was referring to the greater Yellowstone ecosystem.

Posts: 3890 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no recollection of the guy’s name. He was wearing a Park Service uniform, told me he grew up in Gardner and has worked for the park since graduating college. Guy was probably 35-40. As for the well known grizzly, it was one they’ve named “Raspberry”, a sow that I was told mostly lives near the shore of Yellowstone Lake, east of the hotel. I think naming wildlife is dumb, so didn’t mention her name because I think calling any grizzly Raspberry is just plain stupid. And, now that you mention it, yes I do think he was referring to the greater Yellowstone ecosystem.

Kerry Gunther is the YNP biologist based in Mammoth. He's a mid-westerner but has worked for USNPS at YNP for many years. He's probably near 60 or so now. I interviewed him way back in 2010-11, right after two people had been killed. Could be your guy was one of his assistants or merely a park ranger. The other two I mentioned are members of the Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team.

The grizzlies in & around Yellowstone/Grand Teton parks are probably the must studied critters in the world akin to condors & lower-48 wolves. Most of the park area bears have at least a number. Some like Raspberry, that has hung out near the lake since her days as a cub nearly two decades ago, have names just like pets. Although maybe some folks just call their Labs & shorthairs, 'dog' or 'Hey, you.' Big Grin Whether it's a name or number, it provides an easy way for researchers to distinguish one from the other. And of course, many of the bears wear radio transmitters so its easy to keep tabs on them. I don't have a problem with that but do with anthropomorphism -- attributing human characteristics/emotions to an animal.

This is a really good but long read written in 2017 by a bunch of grizzly bear experts :

Yellowstone Grizzlies

posted Hide Post
Two hundred does seem really low in Yellowstone when I've always heard there were 400 to 500.

Posts: 18 | Location: Taylor, Texas | Registered: 20 August 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are few links for factual information. The first one has lots of links to click around on for various data reports, maps, etc. Have fun.

https://www.fws.gov/mountain-p...e/es/grizzlyBear.php

https://www.fws.gov/mountain-p...RP_Annual-Report.pdf

https://www.fws.gov/mountain-p...Cubs-of-the-Year.pdf

https://www.fws.gov/mountain-p...YE%20Grizzly-Map.pdf

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

They used relocate the problem grizzlies in Glacier to Kintla lake. Camped there once. Don't!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4747 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
One evening a couple of years ago, I counted 11 grizzly bears visible at one time just north of YNP.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They don’t really know for sure just like the wolves, there is too many and they need to be thinned out a bit and become fearful of man again.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They used relocate the problem grizzlies in Glacier to Kintla lake. Camped there once. Don't!

Or drop them off in the BOB Marshall.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
spent a lot of time there from 1969 to 1980. Lovely place, bring your gun.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4747 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Can not say how many in Montana, but can say that there are two less in Alaska!
Friend of mine took two with his muzzle loader a couple days ago and headed back to Texas now. Looking forward to some good campfire tales soon.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:

Had some great fishing in there.

My first trip my two buddies and I were the only ones carrying firearms.

The next year they had a mauling and everybody was.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:

Me in the BOB near Sunburst Lake, circa 1987

Sunburst Lake

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Looks like beautiful country

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Looks like beautiful country

Yup. The water was so clear, we could see the big cutthroats swimming at about 15 feet deep. And there were lots of these in the hills, too....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Went into Sunburst Lake, on the way in and out over picture ridge.

That was a steep climb.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Went into Sunburst Lake, on the way in and out over picture ridge.

That was a steep climb.

Did you hike in?

Me landing a native cutthroat at Sunburst Lake, Bob Marshall WA, MT.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you hike in?

Yes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Census of these bears is an inexact science that is still developing. In the Upper Ruby/Gravelly complex, adjacent to Yellowstone, every drainage has a bear or bears. There was an incident two summers ago when cattle fed on poisonous weeds and several died. Thirteen grizzlies were seen at one time in this pasture. IMO there are many more than even the high end of the estimates.

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
Census of these bears is an inexact science that is still developing. In the Upper Ruby/Gravelly complex, adjacent to Yellowstone, every drainage has a bear or bears. There was an incident two summers ago when cattle fed on poisonous weeds and several died. Thirteen grizzlies were seen at one time in this pasture. IMO there are many more than even the high end of the estimates.

I wrote about an incident like that in my column for Rocky Mt. G&F magazine about 5-6 years ago. It's on a PC with kaput power supply. I don't recall the location, but a Mt.G&F biologist was tracking a collared bear & came upon the group. He thought it was mostly all a family of related sows with cubs. I don't remember any mention of dead cattle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You wrote an article 5-6 years ago.

Crane said his happen two years ago I don't think they are the same.

And so what if the were related bears the numbers are the same.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You wrote an article 5-6 years ago.

Crane said his happen two years ago I don't think they are the same.

And so what if the were related bears the numbers are the same.

Perhaps not. The incident I wrote about was like in 2015-16. So on a scale of 1-10, what is the likelihood of 13 grizzlies being spotted at the same time twice is???

I'll do a bit of reserach on it in a bit. I'm snowed under right now trying to get some ribs & salmon ready for the smoker.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two hundred does seem really low in Yellowstone when I've always heard there were 400 to 500.

Our biologist have been tracking Grizzlies in our province. They found that the bears, especially males, have huge territories. The bears in Waterton, Glacier parks wander between Alberta, BC and into the US. They get around.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1646 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Numbers are all according to food supply just like any predator so it’s really hard to know exact numbers in all these mountain ranges
We be had several this Summer in Bitterroot wandering around which means traditional areas are getting over capacity so they start venturing out more and more

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:

Answer: Not enough Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Wyoming is claiming their are 1000 bears in the state.

This is their most recent number off of their new lawsuit against the USF&W to be able to manage the bears.

Posts: 7778 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wyoming is claiming their are 1000 bears in the state.

This is their most recent number off of their new lawsuit against the USF&W to be able to manage the bears.

Direst quote from the article:

"Grizzly numbers reached federal recovery goals in 2003, Gordon said, and now exceed 1,000 bears in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. Wyoming has spent some $52 million over 46 years ensuring grizzly bear conservation, he said.

The petition, to be filed in coming weeks, will be specific to the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem population of bruins and the states of Wyoming, Idaho and Montana, Gordon said."

GYE....

one of us
posted Hide Post
This kind of confirms the figure given in the last reply I put here with the quote from the governor:

Direst quote from the article:

"Grizzly numbers reached federal recovery goals in 2003, Gordon said, and now exceed 1,000 bears in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. Wyoming has spent some $52 million over 46 years ensuring grizzly bear conservation, he said.

New Monitoring Methods Reveal Record Number of Yellowstone Grizzlies

A snippet from the above:

Grizzly bears are thriving in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, and new monitoring methods reveal a record high number of grizzlies living in the region. While biologists have kept a close tab on the species as their populations have risen and their range has expanded in recent years, the new data show that perhaps experts have been under-counting bears all along.

Putting the numbers in context, last year’s estimated population was around 727 animals, while this year’s estimate is closer to 1,069. This would mark the highest number of grizzly bears reported in the GYE since counting began in the 1970’s............

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the new data show that perhaps experts have been under-counting bears all along.

What have we been saying

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
That happened in Northern ecosystem ( Bob Marshall and surrounding ranges
They did the DNA studies probably hoping numbers were low and came up with over thousand Griz and then it got quiet

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
ly

You need to give some to Colorado, we don't have any /cry I would start in the Boulder area

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
The incident took place in 2019. Cattle in the Lobo Mesa pasture in the Gravelly Range got into a stand of Larkspur. They lost a bunch of cattle. There were 13 grizzly bears observed at one time. The bears in that area seem dependent on Columbian ground squirrels for a significant portion of their food base. There are diggings all over. Just this past summer the stockmen were granted at least 2 kill permits after the Feds killed one. They have no earthly idea how many bears are in that country. After several spooky incidents, we have given up archery elk in a few of the drainages. Too much risk. And the inevitable inquisition that would surely follow.

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote