THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Sorry, slackin on my hunt report! Co elk 4th season

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sorry, slackin on my hunt report! Co elk 4th season
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My hunt was so uneventful I have forgotten to write my report! Oops lol

My uncle had scouted the area the previous 2 days and saw plenty of fresh sign. We all planned to work the same area. About 625 we got out of the jeep and I went to sit on a ridge that overlooks 3 meadows. 5 minutes after legal shooting light I heard shots coming from the south, about 1/2 mile away. This would be my uncle and his pal filling their tags. Saw the herd come over the next ridge across from me (too far for a shot) and saw a few small groups break off from the herd of 40. Now this is the largest herd of elk any of us have ever seen in this area. Its not a herd zone really, its where the small groups start forming up to head west to Gunnison for the winter. I started moving down the hill because I figured I had some walking to do to catch up to the elk, fully preppared for a LONG day of walking. As it turns out, 1 of those small groups of 4 that broke off were coming right for me! I couldn't see them but I heard them crashing through the woods next to the road that was between me and the large herd. So I sat down, assumed a good shooting position, and waited. About 30 seconds later the 4 cows came at me, stopped about 80 yards away and did a 90 degree turn presenting me with a perfect broadside shot. Spined the first cow after they made the turn and started to run again.

Time lapse of all this was under 10 minutes lol so lets say shooting light was about 645, my hunt was done at 655. She was gutted, hauled to camp, up on the rack and skinned ready to see Mr. Butcher before 9 am.

I went back later that day to help track my uncles cow (busted her shoulder but didnt penetrate...this is why I tell people not to use core lokts on anything but lung shots with elk) and I was on the ridge the heard had gone over. My dad had parked his truck where we parked my bros jeep and I got to see how far I had actualy walked from the vehicle, to my first position....about 30 yards lol. Add another 10 yards down from that spot. I spent the rest of the week doing nothing, it was beautiful

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote