New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
At $795 I think you can find a nicer rifle, or better yet, add another $100 and get a real nice hunting collectible. A replacement stock will likely set you back $100 or more, while even a new pad will cost close to that (unless you do the installation yourself). I don't think I'd pay more than $650 for this one.

Posts: 31 | Location: Maine | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey VG, Apparently you misunderstood my post. The things I mentioned are in one of the greatest Wildcater's books of all time - Mr. P.O. Ackley. Just relating the facts as he has stated so clearly. All you have to do is get a copy of the two volume set to see for yourself.

And yes, I do intend to continue warning folks who ask about the inherently dangerous RAG Pre-64 M70s as often as I see them post. If they choose to purchase old rifles that have impurities in the steel which can lead to blow-ups with mild loads, then at least they can think back and remember that one person was honest with them about their dangerous potential.

So, I recommend that once they become familiar with the actual facts that they purchase a rifle of current manufacture. The M70s made today far out-class the rags of the Pre-64 era in many ways including gas handling and getting rid of the accuracy hindering barrel bulge for the front stock screw.

Lots of folks think they are great simply because they don't fully understand the inherent design problems. I wish them well and hope they never have one explode in their face.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
VG: You're pissing up the proverbial rope with "dissenting opinions" ( there, I edited the name calling. I feel MUCH better now)when it comes to this subject. They fail to grasp the concept that if pre-64s were indeed the {sic} rag he deems them to be, they would have long ago disapperared from the market. Moreover, modern gunsmiths would eschew said actions when building custom rifles. It is typical of the insecure that when they can't own something they really cherish, the tactic is to disparage. I'm sure it's written down somewhere by some forty pound head-shrink. But, just to look at some facts, the following thread with attached photo will shed a bit more positive light on this much-often subject:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB38&Number=771309&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=21&fpart=1

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to regret starting this thread, now that it has disintegrated into a personal attack on another member, complete with name calling and profanity. I sure hope the rest of these forums aren't like this. I've received some wonderful advice on this thread, of which I am grateful, but I don't care for the personal attacks.

Cliff

Posts: 15 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 26 June 2004Reply With Quote