New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biggest moose trophy??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
First let me say that here in Norway where I hunt moose we seldom see a moose with a big rack.
I have always been impressed by pictures I see from Alaska, Russia or similare places that houses the biggest of them all.

What is the largest moose you have ever seen/shot?

Does anyone know what is the largest trophy ever recorded?

Regards
Magnar

[ 05-31-2002, 13:05: Message edited by: Magnar ]

Posts: 172 | Location: Hadeland, NORWAY | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The area I hunt in is on a draw basis and we see several large moose every year, not always with a tag. It is not typical moose country around farmland but the meat is exceptional when they eat grain and alfalfa.This is my best moose to date, aged at 10 years old and 48"wide.

BR

-

Posts: 174 | Location: ,Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Magnar

Posts: 172 | Location: Hadeland, NORWAY | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Why are you shooting em calfs. Isn't it better to wait for them to grow up? [Big Grin]

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308winchester:
Why are you shooting em calfs. Isn't it better to wait for them to grow up? [Big Grin]

Johan

I highly doubt it!
My buds keep telling me that I raced the undertaker to shoot this moose, but, he tasted fine and made a fine trophy, By the way, I took him with a 30-06 Kimber 89 with 165 gr Sierras.

BR

Posts: 174 | Location: ,Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The largest moose I have shot had antlers that measured 57" across. One of my hunting partners killed a larger moose that had 65" antlers, but much larger have been killed in Alaska. For example, a few years back a bow hunter killed a moose with antlers that measured over 80", but even larger ones have been killed in Alaska. The record should be somewhere around 84" I think.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Ray,

A number of years back, a German hunter took an 83 or 84 incher that would have been the new #1.
He took it back to Germany right after the hunt and chose not to have it officially scored.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sierra Matchking right?

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was stationed in Alaska during the late '60's the "trophy standard" was 60". I shot several in the low '60's and one big boy right at 70" and although he had the biggest spread he was ugly....very old with flat palms and almost no points. My "best" moose measured not quite 60" but has palms that are deeply cupped and has very long points...hangs over my fireplace.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Been a while since I've done pics. but I'll try.
Here's my biggest one. 67 5/8 in.spread,taken 1994 in Alaska. B&C No. 18 in 1999 Record Book.
 -

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill: The local newspaper publishes what they call "The 60" Club" each fall. It is a photo album of moose that have measured over 60", and short stories telling the events that took place until the moose was killed. Last year most of these moose were around 60", but a few reached 70".

A coworker's son killed one that measured around 70". The bigger moose are far away from the cities, and more difficult to reach places. Those hunters who can afford a guide, flying, or floating into those areas have a good chance to kill the larger moose. Most Alaskans hunt for meat, so we mostly concentrate on finding a "legal" moose, while a few look for trophies.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Yep, your right Ray about the transportation, most bigger moose are killed off the highway system. Here's a pic of my transportation and another of my big moose.  -

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Thats wierd! The first pic disappeared. Wonder what happened?

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
 -

one of us
posted Hide Post
TJ. It's to bad you don't get your picture up.

Thanks folks for interesting reading.
Well I have been hunting moose for the last couple of years in the south-east part of Norway. I have failed to get any big bull. I have a small one on my wall measuring 30 inches across.
My grandfather has a shouldermount of one he shot in the 60's measuring nearly 40 ". I'll guess you must be lucky to get any bigger in the region where I hunt.

Magnar

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray...I see youu're retired USAF...me too! I was stationed at Elmendorf for almost 4 years and eventually became Chief of Weather before I damn near killed myself hunting sheep...had to me med-evacued to Wilford Hall in San Antonio.

During the late '60's moose were everywhere and you could fly across the inlet with enough gear for a day or two and get a couple of nice moose, same thing with caribou around Talkeetna. Eventually snow mobiles ruined most of this type of hunting. I was fortunate enough to know a few guides and managed to get a lot of great hunting for the price of gas and doing a bit of work around camp when the "sports" were in...cooking, packing,etc. A lot of fun and a lot of "interesting" experiences flying around in a Super Cub.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
The museum in Whitehorse has a tremendous amount of mounted animals, including several moose. There is one that was once the number 1 or number 2- csn't remember. It is truly HUGE!! Absolutely awesome moose. Anybody getting in the high 60's or more is going to need alot of wall space! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted Hide Post
A relative shot a 65-incher with either a 7mm Rem. Mag. or .30-06 can't remember.

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI.
I got a picture of a big beast of a moose, from 470 Mbogo a while ago. Maybe he can post that one??
I dont know how to do this ("picture -thing" [Roll Eyes] ).
Thats the largest I've ever seen!!

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I got a 61 incher in 1999, hunting in the Farewell Burn with Dennis Harms outfitter and Walt Rowe as guide. A very good hunt, I used a .340 Weatherby with a 250 gr. Nosler Partition Gold bullet, got a one shot in his tracks kill. I don't know how to do the picture thing but if you can go to the Boone and Crockett site you will find it in week nine of 2001, in the field photos section. I am looking forward to going back this year for Caribou and Wolf. Good shooting. [Wink]

<Made in Sweden>
posted
Good heavens!!! When I hear about your trophies I get all choked up!! Here in Sweden they seldom reach a width of more than 60 inches across... and thats with a bodyweigth of around 6-700 kilos. I guess I�m moving to Canada!!!!!