New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Southern California
 Login/Join

<Jon Sabo>
posted
I found out today that I am being extended another year on my reserve callup. Since my current base is closing I am being sent to Edwards AFB in southern California.I have never been to California and I have no idea what I am getting into. I do know that they have a bear season there, something I cannot hunt in Texas. Can anyone tell me about the hunting around the area of Edwards AFB? Hopefully this excursion will not affect my Namibia hunt in May. Guess I will have to wait and see. Thanks

Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon,
For bear, think Ventura Co. Some real monsters if you learn the area and hunt hard. MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Jon Amos>
posted
I grew up at Edwards AFB. Lived there for 14 years through high school, then another 5 years part time during summers while I was in college. Unfortunately, I did not really get interested in hunting until I had been away for several years. So I'm not real familiar with the current situation or details on hunting, but I'm pretty familiar with the area.

Check out the following link:
Edwards Air Force Base
If you follow the links to "Base Guide" and "Sports, Health, and Recreation", you will find information on the Rod and Gun Club for the base. For current details and information, I would start with them. Also, here is the link for the Cal DFG, which has the recent regs:
California DFG

Now for what little I do know about hunting opportunities in the area. Black bear is a possibility, as mentioned above. I have heard the San Gabriel Mountains, about an hour or two south of the base, are good for bear. Also, I know there are populations around the Big Bear Lake/Lake Arrowhead area, which is about 2.5 hours to the southeast. You can also find deer in these areas.

About 1.5 hours west of the base is the Tejon Ranch. I believe they have deer, boar, and turkey available. They charge a fairly hefty fee for access though.

I think there are also huntable turkey populations in the Tehachapi Mountains, about 45 min - 1 hour northwest of the base. Also another possibility for deer.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, I have heard the wild boar hunting around Paso Robles is pretty good. It's about four hours away, not far from the coast. It's a very pretty area, especially in the spring when everything is green.

Believe it or not, Edwards actually has a wetlands on the base. The Paiute Ponds are on the west end of the base, not far from Rosamond. I'm pretty sure they have a limited duck hunt at the ponds. Otherwise, there are a couple of spots in the central valley, west of Bakersfield (approx. 2 hours north) that offer duck hunting.

As far as other birds go, I know both doves and California quail live on the base, but I don't know if these are huntable populations or not.

I have taken a few fishing trips up into the Sierra Nevadas, around Lone Pine and Bishop. They are about three to four hours north of the base, up in the Owens Valley area. Spectacular country, and the trout fishing is fun.

That should give you a start.

Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is another area in Riverside called Big Horn Canyon Ranch I believe that has hogs for a max of $290(not including skinning) They also offer goats($290) and some exotics. Phone: 909.789.4690 or 909.845.2754 Welcome to California and thanks for your service.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Jon,

There are several good bear hunting areas within a couple hours of Edwards AFB.

I've got more info on California Bear hunting at

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/calbear.html

There are also webpages on other types of hunting in California.

Big Horn Ranch is a pen shoot for barnyard pigs, just so you know before hand.

[ 09-19-2002, 10:52: Message edited by: spectr17 ]

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spectr17- Thanks for the clarification on Big Horn Ranch. i haven't been there, just picked up a flier at Turners Outdoors and asked a couple of cursory questions. I guess if you just want a quick harvest of some piggie it's a good deal?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Dave,

I used to recommend Bighorn to newbies who needed the stalking and hunting experience. None of them liked the operation. Walking up to a pig and petting it and then popping them just doesn't appeal to most people who want to hunt hogs.

The rams are a bit more wary and you have to do a little brush busting but it's not much of a challenge.

Shaq O'Neil did a hunt there and I cringed when I heard the mdia was all over it.

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in California before I retire and move here to the Plains, there were free ranging Audad roaming some of the mountain ranges in the desert. They had a year round season on them. Don't know if they still do, but it's worth a check. Happy hunting, in California and wherever and whatever weapon on whatever game. Shoot straight and stay safe.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RogerK,

I was reading the hunting regs for 2002 before bedone night and CA does in fact have a year round season on Aoudad. I would love to know a little more about these animals like, how they taste, where they are located and how a hunt "usually" goes.

<buffalo_buster>
posted
Aoudad sheep in California? Now that's the best news I have heard in ages. I was putting together a free ranging aoudad hunt in Texas because I didn't know they were available in my backyard. Last year I picked up some material about the huntable animals in California from DFG's office and it had no mention of aoudad sheep.

I would love to hear more details about this i.e where to hunt and what's the best time to hunt them.

Thanks in advance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aoudad in the desert? This topic could use some research.

Tom

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Auodad I know of in Kalifornia are found in and, sometimes, around the Hearst Ranch at San Simeon. I suggest you watch for private property boundaries in that area. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used to be some good deer hunting on Camp Pendleton. Might still be good, if you can get on the base to hunt. Look out for the bison! Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Aoudad I've heard about was up near Fort Hunter Liggett with old man Hearst hunting them. Never seen them in many trips there or while in the servie training in that area.

We can burn some people's feet up there to see if it's a nasty rumor. [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
When I was stationed at FT Hunter-Liggett 1975-1977 there were lots of goats (what did I know from fancy shmancy sheep. and hogs, BIG hogs too!) on post. Some of the junior enlisted would hunt to supplement our income by cutting down on the meat bill. Even the commissary was expensive to an E-4 with a family. Now did I shoot an Aoudad or just a goat. Inquiring minds want to know.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote