THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    MN resident wants to hunt Mule deer/antelope

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MN resident wants to hunt Mule deer/antelope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I live in northern MN - being no different than many others I'd like to hunt mule deer & antelope at a reasonable cost. Considering non-resident license fees and such, can some of you offer some advice which would help to make this kind of a trip a possibility for me? While I think antlers are great, I don't eat them - just look at them on the wall if I get a decent crack at a buck. Not necessarily just a meat hunter, but I am an ethical hunter willing to work hard to enjoy the experience and eat some venison.

Mostly interested in the experience of hunting new, different ground. I'm a life-long hunter and am looking to try some of what many of you do on a yearly basis. Being a teacher, with two kids in college, money is tight.

Could a week-long trip be put together for two under $1200 a piece? Camping ok too. Maybe pulling a small camper a possibility.

"Shoot hard, boys."

Posts: 115 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 17 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
eastern montana would be a good bet.Me and several friends from the bemidiji area used to do that,doe tags were $50 each then,and speedgoats were $35.You get a tag for mule deer,and one for whitetail.IIRC,it cost us less than $500 apiece for everything.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wyoming is a great place for antelope on public land, especially if you hunt a bit later in the season. You may also draw a mulie tag as well, depending on the area and the winter/spring kill. If you go to their Fish and Game website, you can get data on permits issued and applied for (ie-- odd of getting drawn) for all management areas over the last few years. Match that up with public land on a map and you have a start as to where to go. If you find an area that looks promising, call the local F&G office and ask about accessability. They will often tell you about good spots to hunt as well. (My interactions with wardens in Wyoming have always been pretty pleasant.)

You should easily be able to do a hunt for a buck of each species for less than $1200, especially if you camp.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd 2nd wyoming,but be aware that you have to apply for tags next month. otherwise take a look at S.D.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote