Find
Notify
Tools

Pronghorns
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Well, I have certainly seen a lot of nice antelope pictures posted lately. I have always thought pronghorns to be one of our most beautiful game animals. A few weeks ago I decided to go for one next year.

I have chosen Wyoming (Pinedale) as the place to go for such a hunt. I hear the draw should be 90%, at least that is what I have been told. It's also still a pretty reasonably priced western state which suits me fine!

I have not decided if I want to bow or rifle hunt, I will probably take both. My rifle choices are 30-06, .300 WinMag or my .375H&H. I have used that .375 very successfully on the tiny African antelopes. What do you all think? I am not buying another rifle so these are my options!

What are some tips on judging quality bucks?

-

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
Hi Anne -
Use the '06. I was using my 280 with 145 grain core locks an it did a nice job. I saw a guy use a 7mm mag with silver tips and it did some major damage to the animal on one side [Eek!] . You do need to go on this hunt. If I can ever get my stinkin pictures to load I could show you some different country.

good luck on the draw.

Back to the Stove ( Trying Antelope )
Turtle [Cool]

Posts: 1115 | Location: SE PA | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

I hunted for Pronghorns in Alberta last year. We where hunting birds and Mule Deer and added a Pronghorn at the last minute. I really liked the hunt. I used my 300 RUM with 180 gr Scirocco. We looked at 20 Bucks that where shooters and I was happy with taking. My guide said we could do better. I might add the guide was a she and a very good guide. When I saw this guy she never had to say shoot. He is only two inches longer than the 14" Bucks the other hunters shot, but looked much larger.

-

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pinedale is nice, pleasant little museum on the outskirts, passable campground in town ( with plumbing that does not scald the shower when the pot is flushed, at least not in the men's side - I have no information on the other side ) and meat packer not far from the campground. The ride past Fremont Lake to the trailhead is quite fine, and the view from the top is outstanding. If you come from the south, stop at the Farson Mercantile for ice cream.

I favor my 7mm magnum there, but all of my hunting partners carry 30-06 in one flavor or another. My father shoots his 180-grain soft points at everything from jackrabbits to mulies, the others use 150-grain Noslers or 165-grain something-or-others. If they don't get an antelope, it is their own fault, has nothing to do with the caliber. The 300 magnum has more range, of course, but if you have a few days to work at it, you can almost always arrange a 200-yard shot. Permits for that area aren't as plentiful as the people who apply for them.

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Antelope are my favorite animal to hunt each and every year. I would go to Wyoming for just Lopes and forget the Mule deer if I had to. If those are your choices take the 06 and use 150gr bullets. Antelope are small thin skinned animals and it doesn't take much to down one. They often look like they are farther than they really are due to their small size therefor I always hold on the animal for my first shot. They are a fun animal when you hunt one and spot and stalk to reasonable rifle range rather than blast away at 400 yds from the hood of a truck.

Good luck on your hunt and I'm sure you'll go back for more.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Ann,

If you see one like this
 -
shoot it! -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,
I often wondered why pronghorns did not get much attention. They were my favorite animal to hunt, until I started hunting sheep. I would love to hunt them again.
I would use your 30-06 or your 300 Win. Mag. with a god bullet. With a lung shot, you should not ruin to much meat.
A buck pronghorn's ear is 6" long, starting about 2" below the base of the horn. If you can fit 2 full ear lengths in on one horn before or as the horn starts to curve, you got yourself a good trophy. I would take a shorter pronghorn if he had exceptionally long fighting prongs.
The pronghorn you have pictured is a nice buck, but I would pass. I put him at no more than 14".

Tradewinds,
Darn right you had a good guide. That is a nice antelope.

P.S
Ann,
Notice the amount of curve in the tops of Tradewind's buck compared to the one you have pictured. Keep an I out for this.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
Ann,

I used my 300 WSM with factory 150 gr Ballistic Tips for my first pronghorn. Use the .30-06 or .300 WM (whichever you shoot best of course......like you need to told that! [Razz] )with 150gr to 165gr bullets and that will be the ticket.

Mine isn't a monster but I'm quite proud of him for my first goat.
 -

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Anne,
Pronghorn are hard to judge because you can't get very close to them about 200 yds is their comfort zone.Look for something about two times the length of the ear. I took my first this year a estimated him at 13-14" he measured 12" on the tape. The guy I was hunting with took a better one, it was the largest we saw on this ranch in N.M. We didn't measure him but was probably a 14" it was taken with a 280 Rem and mine with a 6mm Rem. Your 30-06 or 300 WM with 150 gr is more than enough.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anne,

I took my first Antelope last fall Northeast of Casper, Wy. I used a 6.5x55 Winchester Featherweight and 129gr Hornady SSTs, Antelope aren't that hard to kill. A guy I was hunting with used his 30-06, with 150gr bullets, to take one at little over 300 yards. Thats what I'll be using next year, my 30-06.

Be warned though, Antelope hunting is LOTS of fun [Big Grin] and you'll want to go back again [Wink] Its the best North American hunt I've been on, to me, its sort of like hunting in Africa. I can't make it to Africa next year, but I plan on hunting Antelope.

BTW, take some leather gloves and some knee pads would nice also.

Africa '05!!!!

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Since a new gun is not in the offering, (.25-06) I'd say go with the .30-06 and a 150 grain load...

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

If you do hunt the Pinedale area, let me know...Pinedale is a stone's throw away from me!

Pinedale is included in area 87 for antelope. In 2002, the drawing odds were 18.4%, and for 2003 were 20.3% for non-residents. All areas immediately adjacent to 87 are also pretty low odds.

Here are a couple links for some more information from the Wyoming Dept. of Game and Fish website.
Demand Index...choose 2002, or 2003
Antelope hunt area map...pdf file

Let me know if I can help with anything!
Oh...and I vote for the 375 H&H!!

[ 10-02-2003, 00:44: Message edited by: Trapdoor ]

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not that I have a whole ton of experience, but hey I'll share what I have. I have taken 4 antelope, and as chance will have it, I have taken them all with my M70 Classic in .300 Win Mag. So the .300 Win Mag will definitely work - not surprisingly. Having said that, I'll second the vote for the .30-06, with either a 150 or a 165 grs bullet. Just isn't much reason to use a big magnum on antelope.

I have found the biggest problem in terms of shooting at antelope to be doping the wind - it can get rather windy on the prarie! Best way to deal with that: get some field experience shooting in bad wind conditions before you go afield. Probably long range varmint hunting is some of the best training you can get.
FWIW - mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live up the road from there. Last year my boy and I bagged bucks with his 243 and 100 grain bullets. Nothing bigger is necessary, except a long shot in the wind. You're going to be shooting an animal that weighs less than 100 lbs.,so choose your cannon.

Posts: 83 | Location: Cody, Wy. | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In most good locations, you'll see animals several times during a day's hunt. You'll have a blast. They are more abundant that jackrabbits!

The '06 is completely adequate. I would choose my most accurate load, regardless of bullet weight. They aren't a very big target, which helps explain why there are so many of 'em.

They have phenomonal eyesight and sense of smell. One whiff of any of us, and they're over the next two hilltops, safely out of sight, and taking a turn. Plan on relatively long shots. I had a nice buck study me for about half an hour from 500 yards... seemed to know that was safe. He apparently didn't care that I had a doe tag.

If you can get a doe that has not been forced to run, they are deeeelicious.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, take the 06, and like the others said, use 150gr. bullets. If handled right, the meat is delicious! When I hunted north of Douglas, back in 81, I saw 21 bucks opening morning, and shot a nice 14 incher in the early afternoon. Then took my muzzleloader out, and got a beautifle doe the next day. I used a .270 with 130 gr. handloads on the buck, and a .54 cal open sighted muzzleloader [round ball] on the doe. You will have a blast huntin them "goats"! [Big Grin]

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Ann- Have hunted that area for antelope many times. I used to live in Jackson. Don't know what area you got but my favorite is on the west side of the highway between Boulder and Farson. My favorite rifle is, of course, the 30ott6 with 130 grain bullets.
If you time it right, you might also consider taking a shotgun and hunting Sage Chickens too. It makes for a great combined hunt. The season runs from Sept 27 to Oct. 5 this year.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, thanks for all of the replies! All have been very helpful, as usual. Looks like I will dust my .06 off for this hunt should I draw. It's a good excuse to break it out, it has not seen any action for awhile.

Another question:

Are does available OTC or are they draw tags too? I have not read up on the WY regs yet.

The sage chickens sound like a good idea too, thanks for mentioning them.

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Ann, a little late to the party (what else is new [Roll Eyes] ).

Given my wife's predilection for "borrowing" my 6PPC for her antelope hunts, I, too would say the '06. Use a high B.C. bullet (in deference to the wind), and let her go. Have fun! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also love to hunt antelope. They are beautiful trophy mounts and I love their gamey flavored meat. I have taken some real dandies, but this one, not huge, is one of my favorites! I took him near Douglas, WY in 2000. I deviously made my stalk to his non-typical side (blinded by his deformed horn). I use my .308 with Federal Premium 165 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw on everything from prairie dogs to elk!  -

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Ann,

You've choosen a good area and a great caliber. Personally, I use 165 grain Federal Premium for deer, elk and antelope. that way you don't have to think about hold over, which is important with goats. Your ranges will be from 50 yards to the sky is the limit, but 200 or so is the norm. My wife shot a buck betwen the eyes with her black powder rifle at 50 yards, so I know it can be done. I have also hunted out of a ground blind with archery, but also had it torn down by others.

Areas 90, both type 1 and 2 are the best in the area, but all are good. 88 and 89 consist of a lot of private property, but permission is not hard to gain.

I live 1 1/2 hours from there and have hunted it extensively for the past 21 years. I'd be glad to help you out. Fly out and if you like, we can use my truck. You'll see hundreds of animals a day. A 14" buck is almost a gimme, and it gets tougher from there.

A good buck is easy to recognize. They just look big and black. Pay particular attention to diameter of the bases,where the cutter is placed and how much curve is in the tips. I'd strongly suggest you look over some back issues of "Eastman's Hunting Journal". Mike and Guy have had some good articles and know what they are talking about.

Regarding does, it varies from year to year. With several years of drought, I wouldn't expect over the counter in this area, but further east it wouldn't be a problem.

As Trapdoor said, the odds have been tough lately. Check the link he gave you. There are better areas around, but this is a solid choice, close to Jackson, the Tetons and Yellowstone. the fishing can also be great, and I have a drift boat, and my wife would love some other female flyfishing companionship.

Despite what some say, antelope, if grilled hot and fast over coals with melted butter and garlic, can be some of the best eating you have ever had.

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, "D", your antelope sure has character! [Smile] Any idea as to what caused his horn to grow that way?

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Ann:

As you know, Osama bin Laden cost me my first-ever (and only, thus far) pronghorn hunt in Wyoming. Nothing was flying on 13 Sep 01 and I could not reschedule things between work and the Army Reserve. Amazingly, I didn't draw last year (amazingly, I say, because there are more pronghorns than people in Wyoming). I didn't put in for a draw this year because... well, um, I've been sort of busy. I will put in for 2004, though. I have yet to "blood" the .280 AI that I had built for my pronghorn hunt in 2001.

New Mexico seems to be "the" place for big pronghorns, but the prices are a bit "big," too. I might check out Alberta outfitters, but I'm sure they're like NM in prices. Good luck whenever and wherever you go, Ann.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann I'm not sure what caused the deformity, but he looks terrific on the wall next to his big typical brothers!!!! Definitely a conversation piece. Hope you have a great hunt. Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

D'Arcy Echols is known here as a top rifle maker, but he is also a keen hunter and has taken more than 70 antelope. He recommends using a .300 Win Mag with 190 grain Sierra Matchkings.

Why? Because of the wind that always comes up at 10am or so on the plains. Matchkings because they are superbly accurate, have wind-cheating weight, and antelope kill easily, so don't need the expansion of other bullet designs. You may well have a long shot under windy conditions.

I took my first pronghorn in northern New Mexico two years ago with a 140 grain 270 Weatherby Magnum at 130 yards. We were able to stalk close behind a ridge. I've since sold that rifle and had D'Arcy make me a new 300 Win Mag. When I go on another speedgoat hunt, I'll take his advice.

Wayne

[ 10-07-2003, 05:17: Message edited by: wayne nish ]

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote