New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why I live in Wyoming....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I drew an area 93 antelope tag for western WY, NW of Rock Springs.

During the time I plan to hunt antelope, the following species are also open and overlap the area I'm going to hunt:

They are all either General Areas or Mortality Quota or Predator

Black Bear
Mountain Lion
Elk
Deer
Wolf (Predator Zone: no tag or quota required)
Coyote
Blue Grouse
Hungarian partridge
Chukar

It's going to be a veritable hunting cornucopia!

I feel one he ll of a beast feast coming on...where's a General moose tag to round this out?

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go ahead rub it in you lucky dog!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds great until you realize you have to hunt all that game in a 50 mph constant breeze. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's why everyone in the state is issued a Kestrel wind meter.

50 mph is just the beginning!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 John.

Posts: 1144 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back to town from scouting South of Rock Springs. I'll be going out again in the morning and then heading back to Cheyenne.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Bought a wheel and tire in Rock Springs a few years back. Was pulling a Master Craft boat from Rhode Island to California. Remember seeing a lot of antelope where the North Plat crosses I 80.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
No state income tax is also a nice bonus for Wyoming.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
Sounds great until you realize you have to hunt all that game in a 50 mph constant breeze. Big Grin

That is why the skinny women are all in Texas - wind blew them here.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gonna need a small "pack mule"
to pack the weapons and ammo for all
that hunting.
And a LARGE pack mule to carry the bodies.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
Gonna need a small "pack mule"
to pack the weapons and ammo for all
that hunting.
And a LARGE pack mule to carry the bodies.

I might know a guy who has all of that AND a gray horse, to boot...

I might ply him with whiskey and get him to bring it all along.

A circle on a pony, so to speak.

What's your favorite flavor? Kentucky or Tennessee?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds neat!

In Rocksprings Texas...

Whitetail Deer
Axis Deer
Fallow Deer
Sika Deer
Aoudad Sheep
Blackbuck Antelope
Ferral Hogs
Mouflon Sheep
Corsican Sheep
Coyote
Bobcat
Turkey
Dove..........

All can be had free range, the only one you need any tags for is the Whitetail

Must be something in the name "Rocksprings"....

Best of luvk to ya', stack 'em up.

Posts: 41869 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My family hunts the unit next to 93 for goats. We draw a tag every 4 years. It’s my favorite place to hunt. Goats everywhere, a couple Mulies and some nice bulls! Too bad its one of the hardest places to draw a WY elk tag!

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love that unit! My dad and I both drew NR buck tags years ago, and we tagged out by 10 am opening day! Me with a 15" goat that scores 82" and him with a cool old goat 16" tall, 16" wide, great mass and two small extra horns behind the normal ones. Just an awesome place!

Posts: 247 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Sounds neat!

In Rocksprings Texas...

Whitetail Deer
Axis Deer
Fallow Deer
Sika Deer
Aoudad Sheep
Blackbuck Antelope
Ferral Hogs
Mouflon Sheep
Corsican Sheep
Coyote
Bobcat
Turkey
Dove..........

L

Dang Texicans!
Always one-upping a feller.
I'll see your Aoudad, deer, antelope, sheep, and feral hogs and raise you a Grizzly B'ar ( when they come off the ES list of course)

John

ravenr! Need some help here!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
long as there are critters to chase and
the refreshment are WET...
Count me in

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be in Wonderful Wyoming late September on the AR Antelope hunt. It's been about 10 years since I have hunted Wyoming and looking forward to getting back, as well as meeting and hunting with some of the AR'ers. Won't be hunting ALL those extra critters this time, but good luck to all of you who are. I will have a trailer with me so if anyone needs help in hauling the meat back get in touch. Course you will have to pick it up in New Mexico!!!

Larry Sellers
SCI (International) Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wyoming offers the resident hunter some incredible opportunities if he plays the draw correctly and has a moderate budget to get around the state. You do have to have friend with horses and the kit plus access to some private land to take full advantage of what Wyoming has to offer but the opportunities are really amazing. Filling the freezer to the top with a litte work never seems to be an issue.

Much to the chagrin of my friends I have not taken much adavantage of what Wyoming has to offer. I am admittedly spoiled after 22 years in the Alaska bush but I really think if I had come to Wyoming before moving to Alaska I may never have moved.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12923 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why I live in Wyoming....

My 4 year old daughter and I just moved to this great state a few weeks ago. So far we love everything about it, and the wind doesn't seem too bad(yet?).

The two main reasons for picking Wyoming were the great public school system(I'm a teacher and she will start Kindergarten next year) and of course the hunting.

Now I have a free public shooting range 15 minutes down the road that is open sunrise to sunset and manned by a really friendly rangemaster. The range has 20 benches and 3 lanes and each time I have visited I had a lane to myself and you can practice any shooting position. The other shooters are hunters and families.(In Ca it was an hour each way, $10 entry fee, jerk rangemaster, and a bunch of dreadlocked "pot farmer" types shooting their AKs and such. But the worst part was that you could only shoot from the bench).

As far as the hunting: I picked up 4 pronghorn tags and 3 whitetail tags. Pronghorn season opened Thursday. I contacted 2 ranchers to inquire about access and both said, "yeah you're welcome to kill a couple, when will you be coming?" I killed two on my first day on the second ranch. The best part was the fact that I had my daughter along to share in the experience. The farmers did not have a problem with her tagging along. (In Ca getting access to private land in next to impossible unless you are best friends or kin of the landowner.)

I keep wondering why it took me so long to make the move.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be after the speedgoats later this season. Don't think I will make it until after youth football is over. I take both of my kids (10 & 11) and we go after the prairie dogs after the antelope hunt is finished. Big fun!! Love WY.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john113wyo:
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Sounds neat!

In Rocksprings Texas...

Whitetail Deer
Axis Deer
Fallow Deer
Sika Deer
Aoudad Sheep
Blackbuck Antelope
Ferral Hogs
Mouflon Sheep
Corsican Sheep
Coyote
Bobcat
Turkey
Dove..........

L

Dang Texicans!
Always one-upping a feller.
I'll see your Aoudad, deer, antelope, sheep, and feral hogs and raise you a Grizzly B'ar ( when they come off the ES list of course)

John

ravenr! Need some help here!

Your Grizz wins HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!

Man them things give me the willies......we do have Gators though......bet a grizz would just eat a big gator.

Best of luck to have a great hunting season!

Posts: 41869 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
John113,
If you don't mind, PM me with a location where I can hunt huns and chuckar by Rock Springs.

Scott

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

sent you a pm.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john113wyo:
That's why everyone in the state is issued a Kestrel wind meter.

50 mph is just the beginning!

If the wind would ever stop blowing everyone would fall down.

Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In BC I can hunt

White tail
Mule Deer
Columbian Blacktail
Sitka Blacktail
Moose
Elk
Black Bear
Cougar
Lynx
Bobcat
Wolves
Caribou
Mtn Goat
Stone Sheep
Bighorn Sheep

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard your state has absolutely outrageous vehicle registration fee's.
True or False?

Posts: 73 | Location: SW Pa | Registered: 14 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last time I was in WY, I asked the lady on whose ranch I hunted, "how was your winter". She replied, "oh, we had a mild winter, I don't think it ever got below 30". And she wasn't talking about +30deg; she was talking about -30 BELOW ZERO! That helps explain why so many folks up there go to TX for the winter.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AK Caster:
I heard your state has absolutely outrageous vehicle registration fee's.
True or False?

From my perspective that is false. I made a point not to pay my Ca registration because I wanted to get Wyoming plates ASAP(I was not going to drive around with Ca plates for a whole year).

My registration expired the day after I arrived(I arrived late in the day). I only slept 3 hours on the drive here and I was so tired that I just couldn't get to the DMV the following day. Anyway, because my registration had "lapsed" by 10 hours I had to pay $15 for a Wyoming title. My registration was another $70 for the year.

I think that was about half of what I paid in Ca.

But the weather is horrible and the wind is unbearable. The people here hate outsiders. The entire state is hunted out. The SW corner is full of meth-heads.

I am going to stay here just so that I can let you know if it changes....

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

But the weather is horrible and the wind is unbearable. The people here hate outsiders. The entire state is hunted out. The SW corner is full of meth-heads.

I am going to stay here just so that I can let you know if it changes....

Well played Sir.

Posts: 9218 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:

Well played Sir.

Thanks.

BTW, I have been meaning to send you a PM to thank you. I dug up one of your old posts that had some life-changing wisdom.
beer

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1/2 slam:
In BC I can hunt

White tail
Mule Deer
Columbian Blacktail
Sitka Blacktail
Moose
Elk
Black Bear
Cougar
Lynx
Bobcat
Wolves
Caribou
Mtn Goat
Stone Sheep
Bighorn Sheep

A bit further north and west of you I am allowed an unlimited amount of gill netted salmon, (five species,) and an unlimited amount of waterfowl as taken by the usual methods. This years moose hunt allows two of either sex and two brown bears. Ptarmigan and grouse have liberal limits. I hear we're allowed three black bears annually, no tag. Wolves can be shot using a trapping license and theres no limit. The guys interested in taking wolves usually end up with more or less a dozen per year.

Thats just in Dillingham.

Alaska issues over the counter tags for moose, sheep, goats, (I think,) caribou, bears, deer and wolves. The small game mentioned above is abundant.

Oh yeah, Alaska's got more firearm liberties than anywhere and I leave my pickup, tool box and house unlocked.

Maybe thats kinda stupid to say on the internet. hilbily

Posts: 9218 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

Well played Sir.

Thanks.

BTW, I have been meaning to send you a PM to thank you. I dug up one of your old posts that had some life-changing wisdom.
beer

You got me! Was I drunk? Did Mark Young put words in my mouth?

I'd like to know hows things with you out there and what your up to. Feel free to share what you like. I can't get either Tas or Mark to come up and fish so since you've got summers off,........

one of us
posted Hide Post
John, tell the truth.. Eeker

You live in Wyoming because you were Kicked out of Oklahoma, and thus all the borderstates that touch Oklahoma due to past treaties... patriot

Which includes Texas...
However when they kick you out of Wyoming, I think I can get you in Texas, If you can swim.

You can go to New Mexico and swim across the Rio Grande, then travel east in Mexico and swim back across the Rio, into a place I know in Texas. I have friends in the Border Patrol there and as we go WAY back, I can make a Plan"... tu2 Big Grin

Just be sure a box up all your guns, and the wife, and ship them down here first. Smiler

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is nice to see people follow their dreams and passion for hunting. By making the commitment to relocate to a hunt friendly state. That is abundant with game and most important, you don't have to play the point system for over a dozen years for one tag. So you can hunt in your own backyard. Kudos.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Why I live in Wyoming:

Horrible photography, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
All right. Montana is better. Now you know the rest of the story.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 1/2 slam:
In BC I can hunt

White tail
Mule Deer
Columbian Blacktail
Sitka Blacktail
Moose
Elk
Black Bear
Cougar
Lynx
Bobcat
Wolves
Caribou
Mtn Goat
Stone Sheep
Bighorn Sheep

A bit further north and west of you I am allowed an unlimited amount of gill netted salmon, (five species,) and an unlimited amount of waterfowl as taken by the usual methods. This years moose hunt allows two of either sex and two brown bears. Ptarmigan and grouse have liberal limits. I hear we're allowed three black bears annually, no tag. Wolves can be shot using a trapping license and theres no limit. The guys interested in taking wolves usually end up with more or less a dozen per year.

Thats just in Dillingham.

Alaska issues over the counter tags for moose, sheep, goats, (I think,) caribou, bears, deer and wolves. The small game mentioned above is abundant.

Oh yeah, Alaska's got more firearm liberties than anywhere and I leave my pickup, tool box and house unlocked.

Maybe thats kinda stupid to say on the internet. hilbily

I think Alaska has some very kind out-of-state hunting fees, too. Excepting the big three, of course.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Skinny must be a relative term, when I was in Texas all I saw was 200-300 pounders.

quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:

That is why the skinny women are all in Texas - wind blew them here.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Last time I was in WY, I asked the lady on whose ranch I hunted, "how was your winter". She replied, "oh, we had a mild winter, I don't think it ever got below 30". And she wasn't talking about +30deg; she was talking about -30 BELOW

You HAD to be in Sublette County.