Find
Notify
Tools

I'd like day pack suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
For a while I have been using a big 80 liter internal frame backpack as a day pack.

This is what I carry.

1 box of ammunition.

2 couple knives

3 game saw

4 bone scissors

5 DSLR camera

6 DSLR telephoto

7 BOGEN Manfrotto Tripod with ball head

8 2-4 liters of water

9 snack/breakfast/lunch depending on our hunting schedule

10 rifle cradle that works with Bogen ball head

11 Binoculars

12 insulation jacket

13 insulation pants if it is really cold

rain gear

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd kind of like some compartmentalization, and if it had a scabbard that would be cool.

I can't really think of anything else.

I have zero compartmentalization on my big backpack. So some would be good.

I am thinking about ordering the Eberlestock Euro in loden to see how that goes.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a multi pack questions on where you well be hunting.

How far from your vehicle, base ect.

On hunts around home where I am with in easy travel distance to the house I just carry a small fanny pack.

Where I could be an hour or so away I carry a belt pack with many pockets with a small back pack attached too it.

When I am out further a larger pack style up to a full back pack.

Again how much money one wants to spend.

I haven't found the perfect pack for all conditions that is why I own more then one.

Almost all my packs have some modifications to them to better suit my needs.

There are a lot of day packs out in the market.

You should really get you hands on several different brands and sizes.

I would get a pack I could add or take away from as needed.

Mystery ranch has some nice products. Don't just look at there hunting line. You might find what you are looking for in there other lines

https://www.mysteryranch.com/Packs/Hunting/Day-Packs

https://www.mysteryranch.com/s...-fire-spec-fire-pack

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I'll take a look.

I wish I knew someone over here that had a Eberlestock J34 big mouth and a Euro.

I have a military pro deal for the pair of them for $370. I am thinking about pulling the trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Mystery Ranch and Dana Design the same company?

I worked through the pages you sent and they look like they are in the same price point.

Mostly it will get used to hunt 1-10 miles from the truck here in Europe. Game recover is typically by the outfitter (kind of like Africa).

I am only 5'11, but I have a 31 inch inseam so I generally need a tall XL model.

Thanks again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't know.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Don't know.

As far as I know Dana Design was started by Dana Gleason and then sold. When the non compete was up he started Mystery Ranch

So, no, not the same company but both started by the same guy

I would go with a Kifaru Pack as I am using one bow and it’s unreal. I have the Tarryall and I’m extremely pleased with it

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I will take a look at those as well.

Mostly I am using it for roe hunts where I walk a few hundred yards to a few miles and sit in a big high seat waiting for Mr 6 point to give me a 90 degree angle heart shot.

Not packing game with it, but it needs to be able to hold a lot of extra crap to make the hunt comfortable and allow me to film.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see any fire starter on your list. I carry 3-4 liquid lighters. Couple small flashlites too.
Log of pepperoni and tube of RITZ sure comes in handy. I like those Esbit stoves and fuel from Germany. Mighty nice to heat a can of soup, or stew on a long hike, or over nighter.

You can't beat a cheap drywall saw for cutting bones. $2, or $5 for the fancy one. Just need to have a nice leather sheath made for it.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I don't know many people who like the Eberlstock scabard

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
For the type of hunting I do I didn't think of a scabbard as a benefit.
I picked my Eberlestock pack based on different criteria.
I wanted a pack that would carry all my normal sundry items comfortably and if I make a kill back "in" a ways I could make a first trip out with some meat, horns or what have you.
I chose a Eberlestock X2 because it was able to do this, has a suspension system and a tube frame although light enough for a day pack. I use a Frankenstud to secure my rifle while hiking and if I were packing meat in rough country and need both hands I have an attachment to my pack that I added on that you drop the buttstock into and lash the forestock to the pack.
For my uses a pretty good system.
People's needs are different and you have to sort through a lot of recommendations to find what fits "your" needs.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mostly I am using it for roe hunts where I walk a few hundred yards to a few miles and sit in a big high seat waiting for Mr 6 point to give me a 90 degree angle heart shot.

Heck for that a 30 dollar day pack well get the job done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the problem is the weight of the camera equipment and tripods.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the fact that I don't want the camera equipment to touch my $400 hunting jackets and render them not so water resistant.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I don't know many people who like the Eberlstock scabard

I am one of the people who do like the scabbard. I have good shoulder mobility so I can access my rifle with the pack on my back.

Seeing the lack of shoulder flexibility in others in the 40-50 age bracket I am not surprised that it doesn't work as well for others.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The complaint that I hear the most from the Eberlystock scabard is you cant sit down in the rocks or flat rock with the rifle hanging below the pack

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
EXO Mountain Gear K2 2000. Works great as my normal day pack, and expands enough that I can accommodate enough gear for a three-day hike/hunt. The bag expands away from the frame for easy meat packing duty. I love this thing.

https://exomountaingear.com/explore/k2-2000-daypack/

No scabbard, but the weapon carrier works well.

https://exomountaingear.com/shop/rifle-bow-carrier/

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Currently I have a Kuiu Icon Pro 7200 that I have compressed down as my day pack. You can hold a rifle in one of the side pockets with the scope covered and your tripod can go in the other side pocket.

I keep my survival and kill kits in mesh bags that I put in the front pockets. My jackets and gloves go in the lid and everything else goes in the main compartment. I've been on two mule deer hunts where I've hauled out all the meat/horns and all my equipment after the kill.

Another thing to think of when it comes to packs is the weight of the pack. An Eberlestock Dragonfly weighs about 9lbs and the Icon Pro 7200 weighs 6lbs.

Good luck on the search!

Tyler

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Two straps and lots of room

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I pack a rifle, pocket knife, sometimes a canteen 5 rounds in my pocket..I don't go too far from the truck, and I return and find another of my favorite locations. packing and elk or even a big deer boned out is a damn chore..Ive paid that price in the past..but mostly I took my horse and a pack horse, camped when it got near dark every day and saw a lot of game and a lot of country..I cant think of a better hunt and I can still do that, but just for a day or two, maybe three if I have one of the grandkids with me or a friend that's horse savvy..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Mystery Ranch Sweat Pea . Carries a decent amount of stuff and is very durable and made in the USA.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have as Badlands 2200 and typically carry about the same gear as you.
Has done a very good job for me.
I have a long torso and it is a fairly narrow packs. Fit is important to me and I tried on a lot of packs. This just worked for me.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big did you ever buy a pack if so what one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Kifaru

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I have an Eberlestock J34 that I'd let go at a considerable. The pack is in very good condition.

Send me a PM if you would like to discuss.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Cabelas gun and bow pack. I've had one for several years and it's still going strong. Excellent design lots places to put your stuff and has an internal frame so it's comfortable. Not too spendy either compared to the other brands mentioned and it's just as durable.

Just got back from my every other year black bear hunt in northern Alberta slogging through muskeg and generally getting beat up.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2804 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Big did you ever buy a pack if so what one.

I have not bought anything yet. I am going to order a big mouth Eberlestock Bigmouth Dragonfly once I get done messing with the Swiss backpack a friend my outfitter gave me to test.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Yes the problem is the weight of the camera equipment and tripods.

Agree. Weight is an issue, especially for us old guys..
I'd ditch the cameras and tripod and substitute a good walking/shooting stick. and depending on what I was hunting, I would want some sort of knife sharpener, or something to touch up my blades, especially if hunting larger than white tail sized critters. If it was only deer, I'd ditch the saw and scissors and make due with a knife. I'd also add about 100 feet of paracord. And I personally like to carry a small tomahawk.. or a small axe..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote