New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oregon mule deer unit?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got 11 preference point for deer. I was told that Trout Creek unit is no good due to winter kill and predator and that it would take at least 7 years to recover.

Anybody know what units produces large antlered bucks?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is really the case for most of the southeast units. The winter kill two years ago was unreal. There are still a good number of large bucks running around. Trout Creeks is the best unit in the state, but others to consider are Steens Mountain, South Juniper, North Warner, or if you want to get out of the desert, there is a Mt. Emily unit rifle hunt from Nov 10-20. If it were me with 11 points, I would hold off at least this season to see what the winter is like for 2009-10 and if the following spring has any rainfall. Trout Creek Mountains is the only unit worth using 11 points on. I have 9 points now and am waiting for the right year for Trout Creeks.

Predator kill will not subside much here in Oregon since the hound-hunting ban. It's a problem in all units statewide. I'm not sure it will take as long as 7 years to recover just from the one bad winter. I feel that since ODFW changed the regulations from 4-point or better to visible antler some time ago, none of the southeast units have produced the number of big bucks that they once did.

If you decide to hunt Trout Creeks, be sure to stop at the store in Fields. They are famous for their milkshakes. There are also some pictures of bucks and rams taken from the area.

Posts: 94 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed fields has some good shakes. I use to work in the area building fence. I live in Burns. Where I work at I spotted a 2 bucks 1 had horns already as thick as pop cans, that was 3 weeks ago. Thats in Malheur unit, silvies is a good unit also. I never hunted trout creek unit but did see the biggest 3 point I ever saw. I just put in for silvies for 1st choice, this year I am thinking of Malheur for 1st choice. If I draw I could hunt public and private, the deer don't get disturbed cause hardly no one go's back there. 1 evening we saw 81 deer.

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wait another year? What about the Starkey Expermential Forest, any large rack horns?
BTW, I also have 11 points for elk, just holding out for Wenaha.
Hebo for mule deer? isn't this area located along the coast? I assumed blacktail only? is there a Hebo east of the cascade?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think so

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kennedy,

what part of Malheur or Unit Number?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
#166, its a big unit. Where are you from Norseman? If your planning on hunting close to town, within 20-30 ,miles or closer. Then I would suggest Silvies Unit #172. Theres a few close places a few miles away from town that most hunters don't look at. I drew last year and only saw 1 other hunter where I was hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From Damascus, about 30 miles west of Mt. Hood.