THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Recommendation for a short range deer caliber for suppressor use.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for a short range deer caliber for suppressor use.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I have a neighbor who has asked me to help thin his deer herd. We live in a semi-rural area and I don't want to make a lot of noise and I want a short fat bullet that won't carry too far. I am thinking something like a Henry lever action in .44 Magnum with a suppressor or one of the large-bore calibers that will work on an AR platform or in a bolt action like the Ruger American like the .450 Bushmaster or .300 Blackout, but would like suggestions.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3829 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are you on the “Eastern Slope”?

I have a 300 BO you can borrow

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You really don't need a suppressor just a long barrel and some sub-sonic loads.

I have had great results using PVC pipe as a extension tube.

A 300gr or so out of any big bore at 900 to 1000fps.

Heck I shot a 460gr cast bullet out of my 45-70 23 inch barrel and a 18 inch extension tube at 900fps.

Is very quite and well shoot through a lot of deer and is good to a 100 yards or so.

2.5grs of red-dot and a lead 158SWCHP at 875fps out of a 22 inch 357mag and a 18 inch extension all you hear is the bullet hitting the target.

Posts: 19550 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
light loads of a fast powder [like titegroup] in a 44 mag or 45 colt lever action rifle are quiet enough.

I use a load of 4756 in my 45 colt that just goes shooo without a suppressor.
I've shot a number of deer out to 75yds. with that load.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well he has a 300 BO to play with and some subsonic ammo.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with the good old 30-30?

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
What is wrong with the good old 30-30?

To noisy in the standard loading.

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
to play with the 300blk just make sure the ammo will expand at the sub velocities. not a lot of ammo will, but i do think hornady makes a low velocity expanding bullet these days. or hit the head or a big bone to anchor it.

Posts: 783 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest the Blackout as well. Seems this caliber sees a lot of use here in Texas, suppressed, with thermal vision scope, for discreet, after-dark hog extermination.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16614 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot from a tree stand or a tripod, your shots will be at a downward angle, removing the distance concern. .300 Blackout is much more effective with supersonic loads. The 110 grain Barnes ttsx or tacx give superb results. H110 works well, but I believe Lil Gun gives another 100 fps of velocity.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 6 deer in 2 years with my suppressed 300BO. All subsonic. 3 with 180gr Sierra, 2CNS, dead right there. A buck with a quartering towards me chest shot, ran 50yds and fell over. 3 this season with 190gr Cutting-edge subsonics. All acted just like archery hits run like hell and fall over dead. My max range is 65yds. Longest shot was 62.
I love it.

Savage Axis II. 16.25” barrel with banish 30 suppressor.

Keith

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornaday kids the 190 Sub-X as a subsonic round.

Tue bullet is purpose designed for these velocities and hit hits like a hammer.

Several have suggested the supersonic loads for the 300 but the OP asked specifically for suppressed loads.

The Hornaday load with a can is so quiet in a bolt gun you can hear the firing pin hit the primer.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your friend will have to be a little careful here. To be legal for hunting big game in Colorado a rifle cartridge must produce 1000 ft. lbf @100 yards. Most subsonic loads will have trouble with that. Also he might check with CPW before he starts a reduction program. Just saying.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
get a Ruger bolt action 300 BO with a threaded barrel and run a suppressor. Or a 300 BO upper for your AR.

I would not shoot subsonics unless you are shooting 30 yards or less. The 110 gr Barnes TTAC is the BEST hunting load for the 300BO.

If shooting subs, the 200gr Gorilla Ammo load with the hand turned Swiss Bullets is best, not that match stuff.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3079 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second 300 blackout supers with a suppressor if the range is over 50 yards or so. It isn't quiet but much much quieter than anything unsuppressed. Barnes 130 grain TTSXs do 1975fps from my 9" SBR and Remington offers this in a factory load.

As an aside and although I completely disagree with it, an "extension tube" that is attached to a firearm for the purpose of reducing sound, or that does reduce sound AT ALL, is considered a suppressor by the ATF. Some of the makers of the 'blast can' type muzzle brakes had to prove that they only redirected, but did not actually reduce sound in order to get the ATF to reconsider classifying them as suppressors. Even some fake suppressors with no baffles have been pulled from the market under threat, FWIW. Not trying to fear monger, just share info that some folks might not know.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not what match stuff?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The match stuff people are talking about is the 220 grain Sierra Match King bullet. They perform pretty horribly on game at subsonic velocities. If you're going to go subsonic with a .308 caliber gun (blackout, .308 Win., whatever), it's important to use a bullet that's designed to expand. Lehigh Defense has some good offerings for this purpose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
While I can’t talk about that specific bullet, three deer visited my freezer after meeting Sierra 180 Game Kings. None went more than 50 yards. Granted there was no blood trail but they died quickly.

I now use Cutting Edge Subsonic 190’s. Could not get Hornady subsonics so have no knowledge of there performance.

I was thinking the talk was about a High quality custom bullet like Cutting Edge.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
My solution would probably be something like this. A suppressor would seem weird, but easy enough to apply.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/967909754

Posts: 10162 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As an aside and although I completely disagree with it, an "extension tube" that is attached to a firearm for the purpose of reducing sound, or that does reduce sound AT ALL, is considered a suppressor by the ATF

Why extended tubes are not suppressors.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/...ube-is-not-silencer/