New
Find
Notify
Tools

CWD in Farm elk in Oklahoma
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A game ranch in Oklahoma has been identified as having CWD in elk. The infected elk came from a farm in Lincoln County.

Only a mater of time before I can’t eat neck bones/neck roast/bone marrow here in Kentucky.

Yes, I strongly think high fence farming and transportation of game like live stock has allowed this disease to spread rapidly.

Posts: 12256 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would it be any worse than the sickness spread among bovine or swine that is transported 1000 times more every day? Livestock is livestock, these are not wild elk and deer they are raised as livestock for only three reasons,a. meat b. game farm shooting c. menageries and such and must be inspected as all livestock must be..... how do you think it was found there?

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the contribution by those hunters that insist that they will bring back everything no matter what the laws or regulations says.

I am sure the game farms have played their fair share in the spread and will continue to do so.

Two locations in TN with positive hits also.
Only two possibilities how it got to those locations.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't you mean: C W D??

Thanks

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6024 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
Why would it be any worse than the sickness spread among bovine or swine that is transported 1000 times more every day? Livestock is livestock, these are not wild elk and deer they are raised as livestock for only three reasons,a. meat b. game farm shooting c. menageries and such and must be inspected as all livestock must be..... how do you think it was found there?

Regulations vary from state to state, but I know for a fact that there are many "elk farms" in places where actual wild elk visit through the fence and in the rut the bulls even fight through the fence. There are cases where the fence was torn down from this or a tree in a windstorm and then the CWD infected "farmed elk" are out and about breeding and intermingling with the wild elk.

Read up on CWD 2th Doc. It is insidious. It cannot be killed under normal environmental conditions. It has also been found to contaminate soil and get absorbed into plant forage crops.....and then passed on. People do not realize what a huge problem this can become for many things beyond food safety with respect to a hunter killing some meat.

How about trade being severed on grain slated for the international market because
CWD is found in the testing prior to shipping? The potential problems in the future due to CWD infection/contamination are significant.....far beyond a contaminated venison from a hunter kill.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I want to type CWD. Thank you.

We banned market hunting at the onset of the 20th century. This market is harming Wildlife. This, I advocate for its abolishment. Here is a deer farm less than 20 minutes from my home.

You can drive by and watch wild deer nuzzle and lick their captive brothers. It is only a mater of time before some animal is transported with the disease and the fire here is ignited.
In Ohio last year farm,preserves deer spread the disease to wild, native deer in two counties.

Posts: 12256 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are doing that here in Pa as well and there is little doubt it is a bad deal but I stand by what I typed earlier. Not too very long ago mad cow and hoof & mouth were going to be the very end of cattle industry, buresolosis (sp) from wild and captive bison were going to ruin all the cattle ranches in the west, swine TB was the end all of the pork industry, avian flu was closing chicken ranches,etc. etc.
Hell Chicken-Little claimed the sky was falling but the sun still comes up each day.
My point being : While CWD is bad and has the potential to infect wild deer and elk herds it really is no different than any of the above. It needs to be dealt with for certain but it needs to be dealt with sensibly an well managed. Screaming to eliminate all captive deer and elk is not the answer.
Now how long will it be before someone posts " well they call that hunting it is nothing less than shooting livestock...etc." and I agree but that has nothing to do with CWD.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not going to shooting livestock zone. CWD cannot be managed with antibiotics or a vaccine. The diese lives for years in the ground even with burning. The only way to stop it is for it not to get to your location.

Live Game needs to stop being transported from states where the disease is known. Killed game needs to be boned out and no spinal/brain matter transported. Most states already ban transport of body parts. Why do they not ban live animals but will dead ones. Pure market driven greed is being put above Wildlife and hunting.

I respect your opinion and am happy that it is voiced. I simply disagree for the above. Let the market place and the reality of what happens decide who is right,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Live deer and elk for the most part can not cross state line with the exception those from registered herds. Those herds must be quarantined for 5 years and be subjected to testing. No breeder worth his salt would buy from a farm that is not. They risk having their entire herd being put down if CWD would show up. An intersecting fact is every split hooded animal carries the gene from birth. What needs to be done is a true effort put into finding why some animals mutate the germ just like some people get cancer while others do not yet we all carry that gene from birth.
Look to the swine fever in China at the moment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure some CWD is spread by game farms but I think TCLouis hit the nail on the head for one source that many deny deny deny the hunter bringing game home processing in the garage and tossing the waste over the bank

listened to a podcast from Randy Newberg about CWD it had some good information about CWD, CWD in the soil and even potentially going from the soil to a plant then ingested by a cervid

another problem I see is the people that illegally have captive or bought deer so they don't follow the rules & regulations of transport and testing

i'm sure the commercial breeder & shooter operations have a card in the game too, but I don't think they are 100% to blame as they put a lot of money into their operations, double fencing miles upon miles of property. they risk buying from farms that are doing shady things, they risk their whole operation going up in smoke.

another deer owner that many fail to think about are the back yard people that capture or buy a deer illegally then don't follow the testing rules, don't voluntarily double fence their operations ect...

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only a mater of time before I can’t eat neck bones/neck roast/bone marrow here in Kentucky

Gave up neck roasts years ago. I debone all by deer .

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you have to give up neck roasts? Simply debone it and you have the best cut of meat off the animal.

I have cows wilder than most elk on these "farms".

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the meat on the bone of a neck roast. It has a difference and for the better.

You take the neck off in one nice bone in roast. Trim, brown in light seasoned flour, sauté vegetables, put roast back in add port , potatos, tomatoes, cook down and enjoy,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do you have to give up neck roasts? Simply debone it and you have the best cut of meat off the animal.

I didn't say I gave up the meat I gave up the neck roast.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote