New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodleigh Bullet Failures!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Look at these Woodleigh bullets! What utter "failures". Every single one was recovered from the animal! The muzzle energy for these bullets was at least 7000 ft-lbs, not even a hot load (muzzle velocity in the 2350 to 2450 fps range depending upon bullet weight)

The bullet in the middle and the bullet on the far right are both standing on their bases. The remaining three bullets are actually laying on their sides. This is because the seemed to get peeled open on one side and not the other (big bones can do that I guess).

I thought I would share them since everyone else seems to be doing so with their bullet failures.

All five animals shot with these bullets dropped at the shot and expired. What incredible luck, considering the "failure" of the bullets.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The muzzle energy for these bullets was at least 7000 ft-lbs, not even a hot load

Are you sure of that muzzle energy figure?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Seeing you probably don't own a rifle which does what you claimed, did not shoot the bullets through 8 feet, 8 inches or even 5 inches of bone (funny how 5 or 6 bullets all went through bone while hunting?), and that you are claiming Woodleighs "failed", wouldn't this whole thread be defined as malicious slander?

If the bullet manufacturer bothered with a half-assed attention seeking pathetic no life internet troll.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
I guess the point of a clown is to entertain, and this is entertaining!

/Marterius

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Some people don't have an identity or life that they are proud of so they invent an identity and/or life that they offer up to the world so that they can be elevated in others eyes and therefore in their own. It rarely works but they rarely give up until everyone starts ignoring them.

I refuse to reward this drivel with a comment either way other than to say that there is a troll among us that does not deserve our attention, gentlemen...

Let us return to discussing our experiences gained in the hunting of Big Game and move on from here...

... never argue with an idiot because you run the risk of a passerby becoming confused as to whom the idiot is....

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LDHunter,

Why do you call me a troll, or am I simply misunderstanding your post?

I have invented NOTHING, perhaps it is you who dare not dwell in the realm of reality.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Mr. Holier Than Thou:
First, please read my original post more carefully, i didn't "let" the elk run off and the shot was at about 75 yds. across a small meadow; impossible to get closer, and why? What better conditions could a man want?

Second, I have no doubt about the correct placement of the first shot.

Third, where better to shoot a quartering to animal than where I did?

Fourth, maybe you, as God of Hunting, can track better in a huge aspen grove in early October (read: falling leaves)at dark.

Fifth, please don't judge my judgement whilst sitting at your keyboard; walk a mile in my shoes first. The loss of that elk will haunt me for the rest of my life just as a lost quail, dove, or any other animal does.
35W

well then, i guess i was wrong; i stand corrected and offer apologies....

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NitroX, ROSCOE, Etc,

I should have known better than to try and fool you experts. Those bullets were fired from a 50 Beowulf, and as you can see in the pictures are really 335gr Rainier copper plated lead, just compare to the bullet in the dummy 50 Beowulf cartridge.

The Woodleighs would be way longer, and ~ perfectly mushroomed! I dug these out of the back stop of the local State Shooting Range during a cease fire.

These cartridges aren't 50 caliber either. They are 35 Whelens that I borrowed from a friend.

NitroX, you are SO right about me being a pathological liar. I should have known better than to try and fool the likes of you.

ASS_CLOWN

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
AC:

Lovin' the pics. I am one of the many "recovered bullet freaks" here.

I don't want to ask too much here...but how 'bout a pic of the skull you re-examined to determine the amount of penetration that one bullet made?? I am not doubting you in any way, I just like that kinda stuff.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

Didn't you read my last post, the one in which I agreed with NitroX about how I was lying about everything I said? If not here it is again (Cliff notes style):

NitroX is right about me, I am a pathological liar. Those aren't Woodleigh bullets, they are 335 gr Rainier plated copper bullets fired from a 50 Beowulf into and recovered from the dirt (clay sand mix, aka native Michigan soil) backstop of a state shooting range.

Furthermore, the cartridges I posted a picture of were in fact 35 Whelens I borrowed from a friend, the "12 ga" slug is actually a doctored up 20 ga.

Since that is the truth, don't believe me ask NitroX, ROSCOE, and many others, how could there be a skull?

Just trying to clear everything up and eliminate the hostility, nothing more.

ASS_CLOWN

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure I can recognize sarcasm and false acquiessence (sp?) when I read it. I could almost buy the part about the Beowolf bullets, but the 35 Whelen/doctored 12ga slug part is not convincing.

Now quit pouting about the guys calling you a liar for the thousandth time and let's see the skull.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

Not pouting, just agreeing with NitroX, ROSCOE, and a few others.

Really that is a 20 gauge painted Remington 12 gauge green and 20 35 Whelens with 250 Speers.

Remember, NitroX said it best, I am a pathological liar.

ASS_CLOWN

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Really that is a 20 gauge painted Remington 12 gauge green and 20 35 Whelens with 250 Speers.

Yeah, sure...and I am actually the Queen of England posing as a redneck, flag waving Canuck...

Cheers,
Canuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck, or may I call you, Your Majesty, why not just post as your true royal self.

ASS_CLOWN

One of Us
posted Hide Post

The bottom line: use solids.

Flat nose solids create a wide wound channel when used in a big bore, and I see no advantage of a soft nose over a flat nosed solid in .458 and larger.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote