New
Find
Notify
Tools

Son's first deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I took my son out for an Iowa youth hunt Saturday evening and Sunday. Saturday was no luck at all in that we only saw a couple deer on our way out when we couldn't shoot and nothing else all day but we had a heck of a great time together. Then Sunday the real action came. One small buck presented himself and he fired but was low and the deer ran off. We checked for blood and on our way back to the stand, we got caught in the open by two more bucks. I was so proud as my son listened to every instruction and despite his heavy breathing managed to stay calm and do exactly as instructed. We watched for what seemed like a very LONG time as the buck came right to us but wouldn't look away. I slowly lowered myself and set up the sticks and had my son place the shotgun on my shoulder. I slowly lowered it on the sticks and whispered, "Where the neck meets the shoulders, dead center." He did as we had practiced all week and pulled the slack out of the Mossberg trigger, then fired. It was amazing to see the Hornady SST slug work. While the deer, after thrashing about for about 20 seconds, did get up and run, it was only because it didn't know it was already dead. We waited a few minutes and found it dead at the edge of the tree line. Couldn't be more proud of my boy and have one of the most amazing memories of my life. Thanks for listening to a proud dad rant!

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Awesome - he will remember this forever!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Congrats, well done. He'll remember that first one forever.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell him great job nothing like getting the youngsters started.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Nice, congrats to you both.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both of you, excellent job. tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2 Well done!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, very well done!
It's not easy to put a kid, a deer and a bullet all in the same place at the same time and make it work. You did a great job dad and so did your young hunter.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job, congratulations. Looks like he got a very healthy buck.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done! Getting a new hunting partner has got to be exciting.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a special time for both father and son.
Best to the both of you and many more
seasons ahead. tu2

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Congrats to both of you!!! You'll always remember the first one!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is great! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, what a special event. I am sure both of you will remember this day forever. Very nice of you to share this with us.

Matt

Posts: 15 | Location: New York | Registered: 25 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
How old is he? If these youngster stories don't put a smile on your face nothing will! This is the future of our great sport right here. Tell him CONGRATULATIONS!

God Bless you both!
Louis

Posts: 1371 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Way to go tu2
Congrats on your first deer and congrats to you Curtis for making it all come together for your son.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is 10 years old. Today he helped a little with the butchering. I think the best thing was that he realized so much about life and death and that TV and video games are nothing like the real thing. He has a realization about life that wasn't there before. Thank you all for the joyful congratulations. We will both remember this trip and I hope some day to share a beer with him and talk about it when a grandson or daughter takes their first!

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Big congrats to all involved!

I had a conversation with my 7 year old this morning on the way to school. He wants to hunt a deer, so we both made a promise to each other to practice as much as possible between now and next season. Maybe he'll be ready.

Congrats again!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Big congrats to all involved!

I had a conversation with my 7 year old this morning on the way to school. He wants to hunt a deer, so we both made a promise to each other to practice as much as possible between now and next season. Maybe he'll be ready.

Congrats again!

Excellent! My son and I attended a coyote calling seminar by "the Primos Guy" last January at the Iowa deer classic. That's what finally got him serious about practice so we have been going to shoot a lot this year. It paid off big time and the practice is tons of fun also!

Curtis

One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
Bravo!
The first is always special Wink

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way cool!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic. You just achieved another bit of immortality, your Son will remember that forever!

Posts: 41871 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
tu2

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1430 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Congrats and thanks for sharing.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing makes a parent prouder than the seeing success in their children. Thanks for posting, you're doing a great job Dad!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Fantastic. You just achieved another bit of immortality, your Son will remember that forever!

I like that!

Curtis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always remember your firsts ! Even classier he got to do it with his Dad !

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
Right on!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote