THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Ok, time to get serious.......Tell me about the North Fork Bullet!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ok, time to get serious.......Tell me about the North Fork Bullet!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted
I want to load a second load for my guns and the North Fork has my attention.

I normally shoot Triple Shocks or any Barnes Product but I want to a second load for my guns with another premium thats not a solid copper design, for good balance, in a 300 win mag and a 270 win, but not isolating to those calibers for feed back.

I've seen a lot of posts on them but I'd like to know a little more depth on the product and some experiences.

Hopefull they'll come out of the wood works on this one.

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
To date I have only used NFs 380gr in my .404jeffery. Accuracy is truly amazing, it's not uncommon for my .404j to put three under 1", and that's w/ the tiny VXIII1.5x5 scope.
I hunted buffalo & plainsgame in 04 w/ Mikes' bullets & everything shot was down w/ a single bullet including my smallish buffalo. No bullets were recovered but terminal perf. was good, large exist holes w/ lots of internal damage. I'm now going to give them a try in some of my other rifles. Mike says the faster you drive them the better they work. The pic shows bullets I tested in wetpack before the hunt. The left is the NF, middle a Woodleigh & right a Hawk. Impact vel. was 2150fps.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 225 NF shoots fantastically well in my .338. At this point they have only accounted for one big game animal for me, a big 7x7 bull elk, but performance on him was perfect. Great people to deal with and an excellent product.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've gone to Northforks for both my .270 Win. & my .338 Mag. In the .338, it's the 225 gr. and in the .270 it's the 150. To date, I haven't shot any thing with a Northfork but I have found it to be more accurate than the premium bullet I was using. Sadly, Mike @ NF told me that the under 30 cal. bullets weren't selling well so I may be oughta luck getting any more 27 cal. bullets. I use the .338 for moose & elk (on Afognak Island) & wouldn't hesitate to use it on an interior grizzly. For brown bear, I'd go with his 240 gr. bullet however.
When I was looking for another premium bullet to replace the ones I was using, I researched comments on NF, & Kodiak. I found no negative comment anywhere on the NF. That's what decided it for me to try them. I'd highly recommend that you get a box, follow the enclosed loading instructions & see for your self. That's about all I can think of for now - good luck. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Magnum61 ----- I have used the North Fork bullet from .277 Caliber up to .416. They are the toughest and at the same time most accurate hunting bullet I have ever shot. I have taken Elk and Deer in North America and Buffalo, Impala, Hartebeest and Zebra in Africa with them. I shoot other bullets but I have never had any other bullet beat the North Fork, maybe shoot as well but not beat. I will shoot whatever shoots best in my barrel, normally that is the North Fork. My son and grandson also sware by them and tell me that as far as they are concerned use nothing but the North Forks in their cartridges for hunting. They have both taken Elk and Deer with them, the son taking a Bull and Cow with a single North Fork bullet, that one really got his attention. They are way over kill for Deer, but when we get back from Colorado we keep shooting what works. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the NF 200 grain .308" in my 300 H&H Magnum in Zimbabwe last year. Did not recover a single one (Kudu, Sable, Nyala and Waterbuck). Performance was devastating. Accuracy in my rifle is exceptional.

Highly recommend trying the North Forks.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not had the opportunity to shoot animals yet, but the 250gr 375'ers shoot pretty accurate in my RUM.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a bunch of them in Africa and on bear, deer, etc. here as well. The .375's will expand on a jackal, I was able to recover three on lengthwise shots, the 270's averaged 263 grains retained weight. Their big plus is that they shoot as good as Sierras, while they're a dead reliable game bullet. The last 5-shot group I shot a couple of weeks ago was 3/4 inch with four in one hole with a .375, my .416 Rigby will shoot 1MOA as well with 370 NF softs. I've had good luck as well with the Barnes TSX bullets though.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am interested in using some NFs also, only "problem" is, I wish there was ballistic coefficient data available so one could estimate trajectory.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Mike doesn't have BC data yet. Really though, unless you are shooting much beyond 300yds, you can figure BC as something close to the bullet shape. They have a sim. profile to the NP so start there. It will be close enough.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Hunter1:
I am interested in using some NFs also, only "problem" is, I wish there was ballistic coefficient data available so one could estimate trajectory.

Estimate trajectory @ the range by shooting the yardage! Thats what I did to find the drop with my NF's. I also have not shot over a chrono, so I still would not be able to compute, even if I knew the BC.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote