Find
Notify
Tools

Driven Deer Outfit
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted
I am going on a three-day Alpine Red Deer Drive in October. We will be shooting females only. I have a choice of a 8x57 with 200 grain Barnes X, or a 6.5x55 with 140 grain Barns X. Both rifles have 22 inch barrels and “swing through” reasonably. I can put my 1.25-4x24 Swarovski Battue reticule on either rifle., But the 6.5 also has open sights which could be handy.
I imagine ranges will be short – 50-100 metres.
There is likely to be quite a bit of shooting but recoil is not a problem from either rifle.

I have in mind to take the 6.5 but it was suggested to me that the 6.5 may be a bit light to anchor the fired up driven deer.

Any comments?

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think I would favour the 8x57mm simply to allow for the possibility of less than optimal shot placement.
Although open sites could be handy as a back up, I would be tempted to take another zeroed scope/mounts such as a Meopta 4x32mm or something similar.

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Driven game doesn't pose for a shot. Take the heaviest you can shoot fast and well. My vote would go to the 9,3 but, considering your alternative, go with the 8x57 with heavy bullets that pass through (if you don't kill, you'll need to leave a spoor). The Swarovski 1,25-4x24 gets the nod too.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Use the rifle that you like. Since you can't use both irons and a scope at the same time I don't think it will matter a lot as I don't think you are going to be 200 miles from anything in the Yukon.

I favor big calibers so I would pick the 8mm but not Barnes bullets. But if they work for you that's good.

"Driven" deer will stop. Just yell "Maw" once and get ready to shoot!

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Where I live most big game hunting is a for of driven hunt. The 6.5 is very popular and will do the job. Just use good bullets and you'll be fine. Go for the rifle you like the most. Don't care about the caliber.
A wisle or some shouting will stop a deer if it's not panicking.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of driven deer with a lot of differant guns. The best so far is a 99 savage in 300 because it points and handles so well. That is the key to shooting runnign game having a gun the points where you are looking.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Don Martin29 and 308Win, there's apparently a misconception about drive hunts. 2 kinds are practised :
- drive hunting with beaters combing the woods and hounds chasing out the game : nothing short of a solid hit with a powerful caliber will stop running game ;
- silent drive : 1-2 silent beaters with leashed dogs.
Both differ in their objectives, according to where the local hunters stand in compliance with their legal shooting plan.
While the first and most popular method aims for numbers (herd reduction), the second allows selective shooting among quietly leaving animals (completion of shooting plan). In this last instance only, does the whistle "trick" work.

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Andre - We will be doing the first type of drive you mention - lots of beaters, lots of dogs and plenty of blood trailing dogs for the badly hit, although it is preferrable to drop everything hard. It is an excercise in herd control.

I think the 8x57 may be the way to go. It groups reasonably with the Barnes and I have no other bullet at the moment having run out of Norma Oryx.

I am grateful for everyones input.

BTW It will be in the Austrian Alps.

<martin f>
posted
Deerdogs,

where will you go, maybe Austria?
I never hunted in the Alps, but know them quite well, from hiking and mountaineering.
Those "driven" deer may actually come pretty slow, if the driving is done right, and you may be presented longer shots - I would like to be prepared for 200 meter plus shots.

Martin

<martin f>
posted
Deerdogs,

missed your post above! Just for sake of curiosity - where in Austria, if I may ask?

Martin

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Martin - I am a guest of a friend's friend. His family own a large private estate. I think it is near Salzburg, but I do not know exactly where yet.

I am looking forward to it very much.

<martin f>
posted
Richard,

beautiful countryside. In this area, you might hunt in quite alpine country, up to the "tree borderline", or further down, in less steep, but more wooded places. But I don't know where deer will be standing that time of the year.
Have fun, and Waidmannsheil.

Martin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richard,

If ever I was to shoot outside Australia, I would like to do one of those shoots in the alps and have a hat with a feather in it [Big Grin] It actually appeals to me more than Africa, perhaps because in Australia I can drive all over flat dusty ground and shoot all day.

If ever the Merkel or Blaser break open comes out in either 300 H&H Flanged or 375 H&H Flanged I am in deep trouble [Smile]

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deerdogs,

Your 8x57! It's proven reliable and capable so you will likely worry less and shoot better (didn't you shoot a fair bit of rapidly moving game with it in Africa)

I suspect 8x57 is going to be easier to buy ammunition for (you never know your host's Father or Grandfather may have the odd Wermacht pyrotechnic lying in the attic [Wink] ) should you lose that.

[ 06-14-2002, 14:13: Message edited by: 1894 ]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Mike

I think Heym make a single break action in those calibres. If not they would soon do a special...

I will admit to folding a couple of fast moving hogs with that rifle not so very long ago... [Big Grin]

I pick up the new Battue scope from Francis next week!

It may be they have a MG42 or a belt-fed Panzerfaust lying about. Just the ticket old boy!

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Deerdogs, as I thought already, your best choice would be a 9,3. However and considering your alternative, pick the heaviest of what you have at your disposal. As you will surely experience, there's a world between shooting a standing, unsuspecting, animal and stopping an adrenalin filled rocket.

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Our way of hunting is a kind of cross bethwin the two forms.

It is manly used for moose, but we shot roe and red deer too. We are about 10-15 people. Half are siting as posts. The outher are walking slowly throug the wood. All have rifles. Sometimes we make a bit more noise. Shouting and clapping.

We also use dogs on leash. Mostly a dachs, but also some moosehounds. The dachs is let lose on fresh tracks. He drives the animals at moderat speeds to the posts.

The calibers used are 6.5x55, 308, 3006 and I have seen one with a 9.3x62. Most have mauser 98, sako, tikka, rem 700 or simulare rifles.
Scopes are something like 3-9x42, 4x40 or simulare. Most hunt deer in the fields at eveings and mornings as well as in mooneshine so the scopes used are suited for both.
We seldom shoot at animals at full speed.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
308winchester, last October I went moose hunting in Sweden and it was a silent drive. Animals were driven (no shouts or pursuing dogs) and came out walking or trotting, but never at full speed like they do with hounds on their tail. Shooting was relaxed and there was ample time to place a shot.

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
I was just saying how we do things. The neigbor does it in a different way. It's just the usual metod my hunting team use. And a dachs will not get a moose to run in great speeds.

Johan

[ 06-18-2002, 00:23: Message edited by: 308winchester ]