Find
Notify
Tools

Hornaday Inter Bond Bullets???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BHW
posted
A friend and I are heading out to Idaho for an elk hunt next week. I noticed he is shooting 30-06 150 grain Hornaday IB Bullets. Am I out in left field or is the Hornaday IB more like a ballistic tip, meant for deer not elk? I shoot the Barnes TSX bullets (all cailbers)and am not familiar with the Hornaday Bullet.

It is too late for him to switch, other than were he places the shot. I think with the TSX I can pretty much hit the elk in the shoulder and drop him with my 338 Win Mag (Fed Premium Barnes 225 TSX). Not sure at all the Hornaday IB will be able to do that. Don't think the 30-06 caliber has the energy nor do I think the bullet will be a deep penetrating type.

I sure could use some feedback on this as I want my friend take an elk and this bullet may limit some of the shot placement opportunities he has. If so he needs to know it.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I"ve used the Interbond in 243 and 308, and I still use it for small/medium deer in .243.
My first dissapointment with interbond"s was when a 100 gr .243 bullet failed to penetrate the skull of a Red stag.(smaller version of your Elk)
I went to SST"s on the 308 for the accuracy advantage, but I"m still using the .243 Interbond for Fallow deer.
I have just perfected a Red deer load for the .243 with Speer Grand Slam, which is a tougher bonded bullet, hopefully giving better penetration.
I will still use interbonds, but I would be concerned about their use for Elk. If your friend sticks to square on heart/lung shots, or neck shots it should be fine, but I would"nt like to be trying to punch through a lot of hide and bone with a 150 Interlock as they do come apart prettty easy.
good shooting and enjoy your trip!

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Check that--already noted in the Medium-bores forum.

BHW,

You might pm Vapodog. He has some expertise with that bullet and, among the people I've heard comment on it, would be the most informed of anyone.

Good luck to you and your buddy.

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
It's supposed to be a very tough bullet and gives a wide mushroom with with little weight loss.

But a 150gr. on Elk?!?!........It's a good bullet, but its no where near the penetration a triple shock gives. I hope he's not cross referencing information.

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the 165 gr IB in a 300 WSM and have never had a problem. I have never had one separate or come apart. I highly recommend the InterBond.

I agree with Magnum61 that the 150 gr is light for elk. If stuck with that load, I would wait for a broadside shot and aim behind the shoulder so the bullet only has to go through ribs to take out the lungs.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Interbonds don't come apart, but depending on your impact velocity, they might expand to a very large diameter and thus limit penetration. So if your shots are at close distance, you might not get an exit wound.

I'm sure your friend can kill an elk with a .30-06/150 grs Interbond combination, but it would not be my first choice. Don't shoot directly for the shoulder... A TSX would be considerably better...
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to pick on anyone, but last I knew there were no 6mm Interbonds. SST and Interlock bullets, but nothing smaller than .277 in the Interbond line.
That said, JJ Hack had a long thread elsewhere about the 165 Interbond in his 30-06 in africa. He is a big believer in that bullet.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
I appreciate everyones input on this. I convinced my friend to switch. I bought him three boxes of the 165 grain Fed Premium TSX's and we are going to the range Sunday. I would have got him the 180's but they didn't have any at Gander Mountain here is Greensboro,NC. The 165 TSX will be a major improvement in my opinion for elk over the 150 HIB.

Thanks to everyone.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok,
I"m not a big man, but I can admit when I"m wrong!
I have used Interlock in the .243, not Interbond. I stand corrected, and may actaully read posts in future before replying!
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote