THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    I Now Dosinfect Several Items With Plain CLorox

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Now Dosinfect Several Items With Plain CLorox
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I always bring a couple of 5 gallon jugs of water to camp because there is no clean water source. Before each trip, I put a cap full of Clorox into the jug to clean and disinfect,then rinse before filling, since the jug may have been sitting for a number of months.
In the past, after killing game, it is skinned and just placed directly into the cooler.
I was trusting that my butcher would totally trim off any contaminants (even from the cooler) that could get onto the game meat.

I just realized that I should be disinfecting my big game cooler each season the same way, by filling with water, adding an appropriate amount of bleach, then letting it sit for 8 hours before rinsing out. Previously I just washed the cooler and scrubbed with Ajax or dish washing soap.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, chlorine is pretty good at killing a bunch of bad things.

Pretty simple and effective.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bleach is a cooler (and your) friend.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote