THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Need help planning my first elk hunt........

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help planning my first elk hunt........
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've hunted whitetail deer for many years and have always dreamed of hunting elk out west. Can anyone out there help me decide which state is best and any planning details? Should I use an outfitter and if so which one(s)? What should I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance,

Bobster

Posts: 3786 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you have never hunted out West, and since you have not hunted elk, I can only suggest you hire an outfitter, and be carefull because their are few "real" outfitters around these days....

A good outfitter today will run you about $5500.00 and some can be found for $3500. but be real carefull of the less expensive hunts, as a lot of guides these days are dance hall cowboys with a license, and the states do little regulation...

I have several good outfitters, but none of them are cheap....but they produce.

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobster,
Bow or Rifle?
I have gone out twice over the past 12 years. Bow both times. Once a public land hunt outfitted in Montana that was GREAT. The outfitter is no longer in business or I'd give you his contact info. The second in Colorado on a private ranch in which the outfitter and I had a different definition of "Resident Herd". It was hot and the "herd" that was resident was in fact transitory and since it wasn't gun season yet, they were still in the high country.

I havn't hunted or booked a hunt with Ray but there are several threads on this foreum from folks that have. All good.

The only other outfitter I have had experience talking to several times is Billy Stockton in Western Montana. He is also not the cheapist but has taken the time to talk with me everytime I called just to ask some Elk hunting questions.

Good Luck
Greg

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Bobster,

I used to work for Rich LaRocco at Associated Hunting Consultants. He has some great elk hunts, and is easy to talk to.

http://www.hunts.net

I recommend you visit the site, check out some of the elk hunts and then give Rich a call. Tell him I sent you.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote